New Members Poll - Just signed up? Have your say

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

As a new member, how do you feel about this board? (Multiple choice vote)

It looks very good, I will enjoy posting here
20%
It looks very good, but I prefer to read rather than post
9%
The moderators/administrators look friendly and do a good job
10%
The members look friendly and I will enjoy making new friends/acquaintances
3%
The members look friendly, but the community looks too closed. I feel I might not fit in.
9%
The moderators/administrators intimidate me
7%
The members look unfriendly
7%
The members argue too much
14%
The layout of the board confuses me
3%
The moderators and/or members are unfriendly/argue too much/etc. so I will not be posting
4%
Other (Please specify)
4%
- Null vote for existing members -
9%

Total votes : 69

Re: New Members Poll - Just signed up? Have your say

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Good idea PT but what is to stop anyone polling?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Tombo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 pm

I won't vote because I'm no longer new, just lazy, but as I posted in the other thread, I was very intimidated when I signed up and it was only recently I decided to start joining in with topics. Topics seem to quickly descend into arguments or go off-topic to reference arguments happening elsewhere, which makes both staff and the regular members involved seem somewhat scary.

This is a pretty close-knit community that's been together for years and years, and sites like that normally make people feel like they won't fit in as it is... this place has the feel of a house full of students who bicker all the time, even when guests are round.
I'm a lurker.

Tombo
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Tombo wrote:I won't vote because I'm no longer new, just lazy, but as I posted in the other thread, I was very intimidated when I signed up and it was only recently I decided to start joining in with topics. Topics seem to quickly descend into arguments or go off-topic to reference arguments happening elsewhere, which makes both staff and the regular members involved seem somewhat scary.

This is a pretty close-knit community that's been together for years and years, and sites like that normally make people feel like they won't fit in as it is... this place has the feel of a house full of students who bicker all the time, even when guests are round.

I'll be a very fucking mature student then. :-)
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Tombo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 pm

JLP wrote:
Tombo wrote:I won't vote because I'm no longer new, just lazy, but as I posted in the other thread, I was very intimidated when I signed up and it was only recently I decided to start joining in with topics. Topics seem to quickly descend into arguments or go off-topic to reference arguments happening elsewhere, which makes both staff and the regular members involved seem somewhat scary.

For what it's worth, in that particular analogy you wouldn't be one of the ones bickering.
I'm a lurker.

Tombo
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Tombo wrote:
JLP wrote:

For what it's worth, in that particular analogy you wouldn't be one of the ones bickering.

Sometimes I really want to though. I do get frustrated by some of the arguments on here because many of them can be resolved if people just take a deep breath before responding. Done that though myself at times so I shouldn't really cast stones.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm

I can see why it would be intimidating, it's really a shame because so many of the arguments are completely unnecessary, like if it's clearly personal, why have it on the board, when the PM function is there for pretty much that reason. I don't think though, to be completely fair, that a change of mod-dom could really be thought of as helpful. How many people when asked who the worst people for arguing on the board are, think of ANY of the mods? QOL is essentially made up of a good bunch, but the level of pettyness can really get ridiculous. It all always blows over though. :)
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Tombo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I think I posted in a Q+PR thread on the old board a couple of times, otherwise I only really started feeling like posting here in late January.

And I dunno... don't just pretend there's no problem and act super friendly, that'll be creepy. Perhaps make a new, proper complaints policy, agree to it and stick to it. I don't think anyone in particular is to blame, it's just that you guys have been talking here for years and it's just a natural progression I suppose. There are some people who seem to come here either to moan about Queen, the forum, or both, and they quickly make topics descend into arguments or just nonsense. Not saying people shouldn't complain, but they shouldn't complain EVERWHERE. There have been a few topics that I've wanted to participate in, but haven't because the same people have come and posted irrelevant and spiteful stuff.

(On the other hand, how many people sign up and stay active lately, and how many more do you think would be gained from putting on a friendlier face? Forums as a breed have been dying for years, and Queen isn't really a hot topic lately.)
I'm a lurker.

Tombo
Spread Your Wings

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 am

Part of the problem might be people assuming they know about a community they have taken no part in. Loasa has it's own, hugely diverse selection of people. They're not all young, they're not all girls, and a surprising number of them are no longer huge Queen fans. Loasa has also changed more than anywhere else on this board in the six years I have been here, the only thing which hasn't changed is people who take no part in it thinking they know something about it. There are loads of people here who post over the entire board, so it is entirely possible, to 'fit in' everywhere.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby ice on fire » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 am

This place has changed a great deal(but IMO not for the greater good) in the 4 years + since I have been here. Maybe I am to jaded to be here anymore.

ice on fire

Postby Vali » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:53 am

ok,

Just voted for options 5 and 8.

I had been posting and contributing at Queenzone for a long time, but started getting tired and bored of the tone in some threads and thought this was a much better place to talk about Queen.

My feeling now is that I was wrong, of course. Been signing up for the last 3 or 4 weeks here without barely posting one single word. And if I did, it´s like if I was invisible. I see always the same faces arguing and arguing endlessly about irrelevant topics. At least to me.

I don´t feel comfortable with the tone of some user´s (non mods) posts and I don´t feel comfortable with the role of some moderators.

Since I´ve seen myself coming back lately more and more often to QZ, where it seems I can now get a breath of fresh air and I can find more interesting topics, I guess time has arrived to come back to what I consider to be the site where I belong.

Of course I´ll be coming back here from time to time to check if any news regarding the 40th Anniversary, but that´s it.

best regards
Bring out the charge of the love brigade ...

Vali
Spread Your Wings

Postby ice on fire » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:06 am

I may not have responded to your posts very often, Vali, but I have enjoyed reading what you have posted. Here that is, have not looked at QZ in ages. I understand how one can feel invisble here...I know even I do feel that way often. Though I may still post as much as ever!

ice on fire

Postby Kes » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:15 am

I genuinely believe, that if people offered "balanced" constructive criticism AND/OR praise, there'd be substantially fewer arguments. It's BECAUSE they are often extreme, devolutional, or generally destructive, that anything contrary to them pretty much HAS to be equally extreme, thus resulting in a discussion starting of at the 143rd (full-blown argument) floor, instead of the ground (rational point/counterpoint) floor.

Take Q+PR as an example. If those in favour had said "Aye", and those who weren't "Grrr, f*ck off!" just the once, about 250 arguments, and about 4500 highly frustrated posts on BOTH sides, would probably never have happened. Still, I guess it passes the time of day, doesn't it? One person's scary over-passionate argument, is sometimes another's light entertainment.

However, because allegedly we are all here because we care about this band's music, the AVERAGE perspective "should' at very least be at some definite point positive of centre, if not for what the band "do", as what they've "done". Inherently, on a fan-site, you're bound to have a percentage of people who think Queen are the best thing since sliced bread, but you're not so necessarily bound (or required) to have people who hate just about everything they do. Still, stirring up the dust and causing a bit of controversy*/drama*/friction* (* delete as required) is how some people enjoy their leisure time.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby soxtalon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:06 pm

As a realtive newbie - I had lurked forever and only started talking a bit after the buildup of the 40th I have to say that generally speaking, the mods do fine here. People in general get way too worked up over everything here I have to say which is what drives some people away I would think. I agree with Kes regarding the extremism. I mean seriously. I have talked with people on both sides of just about every argument I've seen here and the hostility here gets a bit much.

But honestly - drama = ratings :) More people will come to read drama on a message board than ANYTHING else. So this will continue to be better for the site's overall readership...whether it's better for the site itself or not is a different story...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby play it cool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:38 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Vali wrote:My feeling now is that I was wrong, of course. Been signing up for the last 3 or 4 weeks here without barely posting one single word. And if I did, it´s like if I was invisible. I see always the same faces arguing and arguing endlessly about irrelevant topics. At least to me.

So other than the arguments, you think we could/should be more welcoming to new posters?

Nah, f*ck 'em!

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby ice on fire » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 pm

How about you do it via PM? I don't mind you being blunt PT, I don't wanna derail the thread, and :nervous: if others jump in. :lookround:

ice on fire

Next

Return to Queenonline