Do threads like this drag the forum down?

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Re: Do threads like this drag the forum down?

Postby ice on fire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Quite simply a very big No they don't IMO. The Cafe is a popular thread where people can freely talk about anything. Much like the CL thread if I can compare it to that.

ice on fire

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 pm

The Café? Sod off PT. In the nicest, possible sense. :P I get that people don't necessarily like word association games and so on, but there is no difference, none, whatsoever, between the Loasa Cafe and any thread in this section, except the one in Loasa is slightly more Queen themed, as you would expect from the 'friendly chat about Queen' section. You make a whole lot of threads here, how do you dress, what do you look like, what do you think like, etc, which you could definitely argue add nothing to the forum, but no one makes any kind of fuss about that. Loasa adds a part of the forum where people aren't too scared to post in case some ten year old argument gets somehow dragged back up through it, people are nice there, there are still discussions if anyone bothered to actually look, but they're not vicious arguments to entertain the bored. Contrary to popular opinion, also, a lot of Loasa folk DO post around the rest of the board. Many don't, and that's largely because of views like this one. Something you are not part of can't possibly be worth anything.

Do you know what would have if you got rid of Loasa? You'd have a close to empty forum of the same dozen people who think the forum inactivity is anyone's fault at all apart from theirs. Sorry mate, but if you find Loasa embarrassing (and I focus on Loasa only because you somehow equate the entire Loasa forum to word association games in FIC) then you're blind. You don't have to go there, but don't you think it's slightly more embarrassing that when asked, several members said they find forum regulars arguments intimidating and that's why they prefer QZ? I don't know of a single person who has said they prefer QZ because of Loasa.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes but that's exactly the problem, people make massive judgements like that without bothering to read. Loasa has some fangirly threads in it, big deal, if you want the different communities to mingle, then as Loasa folk do go to the rest of forum, go there! Otherwise you can't really expect things to change. I merged your spam thread with the cafe by the way, no spam allowed. ;)

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:15 pm

PTRACER wrote:Oh and as far as posting threads like "How do you think", "What do you do", "Isn't this awful", in some ways, it's sort of an attempt to get people to take part. I mean it's not just that obviously - if I think something,
I sometimes like to discuss it with other people and figure this is a good place.

Exactly, which is just like what every poster in Loasa does too. I'm not complaining about your threads, they're fine, it's just a forum and people's thoughts and views are what they're for. I just think the same courtesy should probably be show to all posters and areas of the forum here, not just the ones you like.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Oh and as far as posting threads like "How do you think", "What do you do", "Isn't this awful", in some ways, it's sort of an attempt to get people to take part. I mean it's not just that obviously - if I think something,
I sometimes like to discuss it with other people and figure this is a good place.

Exactly, which is just like what every poster in Loasa does too. I'm not complaining about your threads, they're fine, it's just a forum and people's thoughts and views are what they're for. I just think the same courtesy should probably be show to all posters and areas of the forum here, not just the ones you like.

Yeah, for people who regularly post in LOASA. At any time, LOASArians can come and join in with the people in Fried Chicken and engage in adult chat. LOASA threads are practically impenetrable to outsiders.

Not true, on either side. If Loasa threads are impenetrable, why do the vast majority of new people go straight there? The rest of the forum can in many senses be absolutely impossible for anyone else to get into, because of the tight little groups that the regulars can form. No one can help that, but it is just going a bit too far to suggest other people are the problem, they're not.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:Yes but that's exactly the problem, people make massive judgements like that without bothering to read. Loasa has some fangirly threads in it, big deal, if you want the different communities to mingle, then as Loasa folk do go to the rest of forum, go there! Otherwise you can't really expect things to change. I merged your spam thread with the cafe by the way, no spam allowed. ;)

What spam was that? I posted Spam in the 46664 forum a while back and I noticed it disappeared (the QOL version of chaining yourself to a metal fence like a stoned hippy and moaning at the administration about the futility of its existence). I might post another under the guise of something more useful and after a while, turn it to spam to see if anyone notices.

LOASA folk are impossible to mingle with. I long assumed and therefore dismissed them as all being pre-pubescent girls attempting to ovulate over 30 year old pictures of Brian May and I noticed it later turned into 40 year old pictures of Paul Rodgers, and Donny Osmond, and other stars who are now bald and covered in liver spots. I browsed some of their profiles and found some of them were my age and some even older which surprised me a bit.

I remember back in the old days, LOASA was a place your threads would be moved to if you asked questions like "What is your favourite Queen song?" That was back in the days when LOASA and whatever we had as the main forum were actually mixed communities and posting a picture of a kitten sitting in a tardis had nothing to do with Queen and would end up in Good Company. Which is now obviously another meaningless, empty forum which no one "at the top" will accept the pointlessness of.

You posted a thread called 'spam' in Loasa, about people only looking because your name was there. :lol:

You're wrong dude, I can't make you see it but you are. Loasa folk are by far the most open. You did dismiss them all as children drooling and you were wrong then too. They are of all ages, and post about pretty much everything.

Yeah, the 'sandpit'. Except Loasa evolved, a real community was formed, and some outside members of the forum seem to be rather bitter about it. It's really up to you how judgemental and superior you want to be.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Oh, is that where they go? I don't see them arrive. I guess once you suck them into LOASA, they're never to be seen again. :P What's this about "suggesting other people are the problem"? Can you explain that to me?

Into the nicer, actually fun/interesting part of the forum? Yep. :P Well, look at what you've written so far. None of it seems to acknowledge that one of the things which might stop new members joining or posting much once they get here, is the regulars, any group that includes you. Whereas you have suggested it's because of Fun in Cyberspace and Loasa, because of the threads within them or the people posting there...and so on.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:08 pm

PTRACER wrote:That was my 46664 thread :D Someone must have moved it, so that's where it went.

I don't doubt they're open, nor do I doubt they're the most friendly, but everything they post is held within LOASA and 70% of it is non-Queen related chat. Like, the LOASArians have their own "Board member photos" thread, when we already have one in Good Company. That's proof of self-inflicted community division right there.

I'm not bitter about it. Bitterness suggests I'm upset that they're all friendly with each other and I'm out of the loop and I'm crying into tissues about it. All I am saying is, here is a room full of grumpy old folk and the odd young BOF, you might be 14, or you might even be 21, come and have a chat or an adult debate with us anyway. You can't argue against my point Belle, whenever I occasionally venture into LOASA, I'm usually reading a post that says "Hello? :sigh: :wow: " Have a good look in there Belle, the last three posts are about spaghetti.

I can argue and successfully, and if you were nearly as bright as you like to tell us and I have believe so far, you'd know which one of the two of us is likely to know more about Loasa. Yes, the café involves quite a lot of nonsense, including spaggetti, now go to FC and tell me the same isn't true there.

Loasaers DO have adult debates, both here and in Loasa. I post in both, so do quite a lot of Loasa folk. Why exactly would anyone from Loasa who doesn't already do so, want to come talk to the rest of the forum, PT, read this thread. Take a bit of responsibility would you, why on earth would any Loasa-er want to satisfy your view of the forum?

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 pm

PTRACER wrote:
I can hardly blame myself. Certain regulars have egos, certain regulars have attitudes, certain regulars can be real morons at times, and all three of those can include me, but I do not accept I have a hand in part of a larger problem just because I have a personality.

On the other hand, I'll say it here and I'll say it publicly, I don't think Inny's sarcastic outburst at Elessar over the earthquake issue was conducive to a happy forum and I do think people should cut that sort of crap out, but even if it was and we pretended to all like each other, it's not going to get people from LOASA to venture out elsewhere, is it?

Of course you can't, but you can blame everyone else, good lord dude you are arrogant. EVERYONE has a personality, you might rate yours above others, so do I in many respects, you're generally a nice guy, but you're just being ridiculous here.

Again, keep ignoring this point it's not going to stop it being the case, many people do venture out, and many more would venture out if there wasn't so much friction, yeah, but I don't think it's stuff like genuine arguments coming from real opinions, Inny and El have clashed for years, the rest of the forum aren't brought down by that, they're not load and Dusty. :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby ice on fire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Thank you Belle for defending/sticking up for LOASA :thumbsup:. I would like to hear what others from there have to say about this...anyone :lookround:.

ice on fire

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Hmmm.

I do think there is a divide and I do wish that divide did not exist. It does though and, short of shutting down LOASA, it will continue to exist. We tried that on the old board by combining Good Company with Fried Chicken. The posters simply moved into LOASA.

I guess we have to accept that there is a group of posters who are only comfortable within LOASA. Is there a way to get people to post elsewhere more regularly? Not really sure but am willing to explore options.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby ice on fire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 pm

I will defend LOASA and Save Me as long as I am here. Those 2 places are a very important part of QOL.

ice on fire

Postby ice on fire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm

PT, they all are all happy there from what I know~cut them a break!

ice on fire

Postby lord of all darkness » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Never go into loasa or post in there. If they are happy doing what they do, then leave them to it.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 pm

lord of all darkness wrote:Never go into loasa or post in there. If they are happy doing what they do, then leave them to it.

yeah I suppose it is like going into your daughter's bedroom or your wife's undies drawer. Not really the done thing. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Next

Return to Queenonline