Locking threads

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Locking threads

Postby fairydandy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 am

The worst thing that a moderator can do is to lock a thread. It serves no purpose at all. It doesn't calm the waters, it makes them even worse. Especially if another mod unlocks the topic, makes his own comment and then locks it again. This has happened today.

I don't know what happened in the thread in question, but how on earth can it be so bad that no one is allowed to comment until the moderator has 'punished' the posters?

Seriously, it's pathetic.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8535
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 am

fairydandy wrote:The worst thing that a moderator can do is to lock a thread. It serves no purpose at all. It doesn't calm the waters, it makes them even worse. Especially if another mod unlocks the topic, makes his own comment and then locks it again. This has happened today.

I don't know what happened in the thread in question, but how on earth can it be so bad that no one is allowed to comment until the moderator has 'punished' the posters?

Seriously, it's pathetic.


Hi fd, how's things?

I am absolutely baffled by the thread being locked. Unless some very personal posts have been pulled, just seems like someone has a god complex.

Can i ask, was there any posts pulled? Or was there any complaints made to the mods/admin? Seems odd when one of the contributers to the debate is also one of the Admins.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 am

It all seems very strange and stupid to me, unless something has been pulled I can see no reason to lock the thread. One poster asked a mod if it is ok to use the word gay, well here's a fact for you, Freddie was gay just in case that poster didn't know. :roll:
It's not often I disagree with the mods but I do on this occasion.
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:It all seems very strange and stupid to me, unless something has been pulled I can see no reason to lock the thread. One poster asked a mod if it is ok to use the word gay, well here's a fact for you, Freddie was gay just in case that poster didn't know. :roll:



I actually dislike hearing the word used in this context. Not as bad as the slang names. Freddie was homosexual and was proud of it. Before i get flamed, i really have no problem with anyone that is homosexual.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am

Oh, and any thread that has Pastie and i on the same side of the debate should never ever be locked.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 am

lord of all darkness wrote:Oh, and any thread that has Pastie and i on the same side of the debate should never ever be locked.

:lol: it is pretty rare, one of us must be mellowing as we get older. ;)
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am

I couldn't give a flying fuck on someone's sexuality, we are all human beings at the end of the day, being not the "norm" whatever that is doesn't make one person any better than the next.
Anyway I can't spell homosexual ;)
Image
 
Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

Should be doing something else

      
 
Posts: 850
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:
lord of all darkness wrote:Oh, and any thread that has Pastie and i on the same side of the debate should never ever be locked.

:lol: it is pretty rare, one of us must be mellowing as we get older. ;)


I'm quite happy with life at the moment. Must be me! :biggrin:
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:I couldn't give a flying fuck on someone's sexuality, we are all human beings at the end of the day, being not the "norm" whatever that is doesn't make one person any better than the next.
Anyway I can't spell homosexual ;)



I agree, fuck, that's twice now. Anyhow, i wanted to clarify, i do find the word gay as been a little patronising to homosexuals. That said, if it doesn't bother them, who am i to complain?
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby JLP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:03 pm

This is an ongoing issue and one we are trying to resolve. As admin/mods, the software allows us to comment in a locked thread. When I posted this morning, I actually did not realise the thread was locked.

I am against locking threads normally. However in this case, it serves a purpose as some of the posters involved only post in two threads on this board.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11172
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 414 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm

JLP wrote:This is an ongoing issue and one we are trying to resolve. As admin/mods, the software allows us to comment in a locked thread. When I posted this morning, I actually did not realise the thread was locked.

I am against locking threads normally. However in this case, it serves a purpose as some of the posters involved only post in two threads on this board.



Does the software enable you to issue infractions? Most forums these days allow to issue bans, etc. Also flags on their posters profile, usually a yellow or red card.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 pm

lord of all darkness wrote:
JLP wrote:This is an ongoing issue and one we are trying to resolve. As admin/mods, the software allows us to comment in a locked thread. When I posted this morning, I actually did not realise the thread was locked.

I am against locking threads normally. However in this case, it serves a purpose as some of the posters involved only post in two threads on this board.



Does the software enable you to issue infractions? Most forums these days allow to issue bans, etc. Also flags on their posters profile, usually a yellow or red card.


Users are warned and, as you can see from the post I made, we are banning people who ignore requests to alter their posting habits.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6332
Images: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby JLP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 pm

lord of all darkness wrote:
JLP wrote:This is an ongoing issue and one we are trying to resolve. As admin/mods, the software allows us to comment in a locked thread. When I posted this morning, I actually did not realise the thread was locked.

I am against locking threads normally. However in this case, it serves a purpose as some of the posters involved only post in two threads on this board.



Does the software enable you to issue infractions? Most forums these days allow to issue bans, etc. Also flags on their posters profile, usually a yellow or red card.


warnings and bans are an option of course. As Weemann said in his post, we are going to start banning people which is always a last resort. As for locking the thread, that is something that we had discussed so it was not only Weemann's call.

I am happy to unlock the thread now and see what happens.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11172
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 414 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Sorry guys, am i missing something here? I don't recall seeing anything posted that would warrant a ban. Since when has posting styles been an issue? If 2 or more posters want to argue the point to silly points, let them. It usually peters out after a while when 1 person gets bored or just gives up making their point.

I still haven't seen anything like the levels of the old boards. No name calling or 1 poster telling the other to fuck and die etc... But, i may have missed it, so i am willing to be corrected.

Also, you speak of banning. How do you stop a poster re-registering with another email address. I'm sure Ian would confirm, any half decent troll would no doubt be able to use some sort of ip masking. As ISP level, do you know of any compliant isp's that would deny service to their paying customer?

An infraction system would allow temporary suspensions prior to banning altogether.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Locking threads

Postby Kes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I think the issue previously has been the fact you have two grown, supposedly mature, adults throwing mud at each other.

The topic we are talking about now seems to involve on one side, fans of what would have been called a few years back, a teenybopper. As a website we kind of have a certain level towards the duty of care concerning people who may well be classifiable as minors. That's not inferring all Adam Lambert fans are 13 year olds, but given the age and target audience of AL, a higher proportion might be.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14859
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 362 times

Next

Return to Queenonline

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest