Larry Lurex

Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
e1o

Larry Lurex

Post by e1o »

Confession time...... I was digging around in my old singles acquired during the 70s to see what might be worth putting on eBay when I came across this rather ordinary looking single in a generic EMI sleeve by Larry Lurex singing the Beach Boys 'I Can Hear Music'. I checked on Discogs to see if it had any value and was shocked by what I saw. I then Googled Larry Lurex and all became clear! Is it possible that I am the only fan of Queen who had no idea who Larry Lurex was? It is particularly embarrassing as I was working for EMI at the time.

MyHumanZoo

Re: Larry Lurex

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Wow, that is amazing! I think most long term dedicated Queen fans know about Larry Lurex, but probably 95% or more of the general fans don’t. That is quite a find, congratulations!

e1o

Post by e1o »

Yes, quite a find, particularly as it's in mint condition having been kept in a box for the last 48 years!

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Good find!
There a few release variations, I have a US release on Anthem AN-204 labelled (A0009 Remix)

Kes

Post by Kes »

Watch out for UK EMI ones with a solid centre. A whole mass of bootlegs were pressed with a solid centre.

Not neccessarily a copy, but it's one to make it worth a better look.

e1o

Post by e1o »

Luckily I know this is genuine because I worked at EMI and used to get one of each record released as a sample. It's been in a box for 48 years.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Stock copy, or printed up demo copy?

The latter is worth a little bit more.

Personally, I've got a standard stock copy, and one of the American Anthem pressings.

The one to get hold of is a white label one sided pressing, catalogued LL 1 in the run off groove, in standard EMI block type. Those were a very limited run, made by EMI specifically for Freddie, somewhere around 75/76. It features the longer version, that eventually appeared on the Freddie boxset. And a drone noise on the other side. Seriously, only a handful of those were made, and gifted out to very close friends of Freďdie.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Ironical, because the 1992 bootleg with an EMI label, and solid centre, has LL 1 on the run out groove too.

http://images.45cat.com/larry-lurex-goin-back-emi-2.jpg

The white label has a four prong centre, and as I say, the long version on one side, and a drone tone on the other.

e1o

Post by e1o »

The one I have is a stock copy with a Factory Sample sticker. If you want to look at it, it's on eBay but it finishes tonight at 7 ish so you'll have to be quick. I used to get samples of everything released but I wont have the white label you mention.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It looks in lovely condition. Hope it all goes well for you.