Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
Tatterdemalion

Re: Freddie Mercury - The Final Act

Post by Tatterdemalion »

The isolated vocal on The Show Must Go On was fantastic

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Tatterdemalion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:28 am The isolated vocal on The Show Must Go On was fantastic

Agreed

Kes

Post by Kes »

Still to see it. Haven't had power since Friday night. No TV, no Internet, no heating or lights, f*ck all.

Still haven't.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Sorry to hear you're one of the people in that boat! Hope you get it back soon!

If it's any consolation, the doc's on iPlayer, so you shouldn't have any trouble catching up.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Finally got power back after 92 hours incommunicado.

Have also got round to watching the documentary. Fills in "some" gaps, I suppose.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

WeeMann wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 am
Didymus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm... There was quite a lot of Freddie's story left out as a result of this so it feels odd...
I watched the doc yesterday and it strikes me as an AIDS awareness documentary using Freddie as a focal point, rather than a Freddie documentary.
Which, yer know, I'm totally fine with and as I said, openly welcomed.

But the last 45 minutes became "THE TRIBUTE GIG WAS LOTS OF FUN WASNT IT?" and both Freddie AND the awareness discussions got totally sidelined as a result. It stopped being an AIDS awareness show and became an extended advert for the DVD and bluray of the tribute show. Obviously it is part of the story but giving it half the runtime means Freddie was the focal point of about 35% of the show and the awareness only another 15% with the rest a giant commercial.

20 minutes less about Axl Rose and Lisa Stansfield and other random guest singers being nervous etc. would have meant maybe 10 minutes on Barcelona and 10 minutes telling more of the stories that need to be heard.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Weird that the Tribute Concert gets that much time...the last release was years ago and I don't expect another one anytime soon despite it being 30 years ago next year.

On the other hand that would be the kind of lame rerelease we're used to lately...give it a slipcover, release it on cassettes as well and do about 30 different covers for every musician/band that played at the concert, some limited to 30 copies so that scalpers can become millionaires on ebay. ;)

It really annoys me that they didn't film that concert and the 86 one on film and in widescreen...as great as those DVDs are, they would be even more stunning and showing the actual scope of it all in HD and a broader aspect ratio. That's one reason I like the BR movie, because the Wembley part at the end had all that...it gives a better impression of how huge that stadium actually was.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Watched this on iPlayer earlier. I’ll echo the sentiment that it felt terribly disjointed in its focus - was it a documentary about Freddie, about AIDS in general, or the tribute concert? - but I quite enjoyed it all the same. Even if it felt a bit out of place, I appreciated all the tribute show stuff.

Highlights were definitely the isolated vocals from “The Show Must Go On” and the final moments with Freddie’s sister and “A Winter’s Tale”.

MichaelAllred76

Post by MichaelAllred76 »

Well I've always felt the Freddie tribute really deserves a making of in depth documentary as it's one of the biggest and more important concerts in history and this is likely the closest I'll ever get to see one.
A full length doc on the show, brand new interviews with as many living performers of the day, etc, would be a viable concert release especially in conjunction with a new release of the show itself including every performance cut from official releases (other than Plant's Innuendo which we know won't happen) both on dvd/bd AND for the first time and official cd release.

Mr Nice Guy

Post by Mr Nice Guy »

Where can I get this documentary?