Freddie Mercury - The Final Act

Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
Leigh Burne

Re: Freddie Mercury - The Final Act

Post by Leigh Burne »

Unfortunately I ended up missing it bexause I was out but hopefully it’ll be on iPlayer so I can catch up in the week.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

The programme was as much about the disease as it was about Freddie. But that is OK because it focussed on the stigma around gay people and AIDS back then, even from politicians.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Wasn't quite expecting them to pull the "early draft of the movie" trick and reach his death halfway through, then spend WAY too long on the tribute concert.

There was quite a lot of Freddie's story left out as a result of this so it feels odd.

Huge props to them for telling the stories of ordinary gay men of the era, however. I feel like the first half of the show in particular worked really well at getting across the fear and hatred of the time. But then it all just becomes: "Wasn't the tribute show great?"

I thought this was going to be about Freddie, not anecdotes around Axl Rose etc. All very strange. This film didn't even bother to mention the Barcelona project, jumping from The Great Pretender to The Miracle. Yet that project meant so much to Freddie. A shame.

And only a fleeting mention of the Montreux recordings into which he poured his all. They feel like an afterthought, even though it is lovely to see Kashmira taking comfort in that work.

An uneven piece then. Some positives but could have been much better.

I guess the band want to sell a 30th anniversary tribute concert release next year or something...

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Personally I always wished more time had been spent on the tribute concert in Days of Our Lives (although I understand why it wasn’t a priority) so if there’s a good deal about that in this, then I’m interested.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

It seemed to me alone that the history of George Michael's relationship was clearly superfluous in this documentary? Yes, of course there are others clearly superfluous. To be honest, I wasn't very interested in hearing about the suffering of people who had nothing to do with the group. It feels like a documentary about the suffering of gays and their illness and not about Queen gropu and her singer who died 30 years ago. And Brian and Roger are there like "talking furniture".
Anita has aged very much. Kashmir, too, although the usual features of age did not spoil her

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

The problem with queen documentaries is that they are all over the place so you can't piece together a proper chronological story of the band in some logical order....

First we had the 'days of our lives'... this was great - concise, was reasonably accurate but didn't it miss the 'a kind of magic' album era and jumped to the magic tour... or was it the miracle (I can't remember)

Then they followed it up with 'from rags to rhapsody' which focused on the early years up to ANATO and BoRhap.

Then we had the 1977 'rock the world' utilising the Bob Harris old grey whistle test footage.

Then we had 'the great pretender' which focuses on freddie's solo career.

And finally we had the the 'final act' which kind had bits in it that should have been in 'the great pretender' doc.

All in all its a bit of a mess... I would have been happy with a documentary akin to the beatles' anthology where it was 6 hours long - at least would be in chronological order.

(I know there was the one about the lambert years... but that is Queen+ rather than Queen)

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Didymus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm Wasn't quite expecting them to pull the "early draft of the movie" trick and reach his death halfway through, then spend WAY too long on the tribute concert.

There was quite a lot of Freddie's story left out as a result of this so it feels odd.

Huge props to them for telling the stories of ordinary gay men of the era, however. I feel like the first half of the show in particular worked really well at getting across the fear and hatred of the time. But then it all just becomes: "Wasn't the tribute show great?"

I thought this was going to be about Freddie, not anecdotes around Axl Rose etc. All very strange. This film didn't even bother to mention the Barcelona project, jumping from The Great Pretender to The Miracle. Yet that project meant so much to Freddie. A shame.

And only a fleeting mention of the Montreux recordings into which he poured his all. They feel like an afterthought, even though it is lovely to see Kashmira taking comfort in that work.

I guess the band want to sell a 30th anniversary tribute concert release next year or something...
I have to admit but I thought the programme would have concentrated on his work after 1986 including Barcelona. I felt a wee bit uncomfortable watching the footage around the Great Pretender stuff. It almost felt showing Freddie fooling around with the falsies and the bra was sending out the wrong message. Which of course was countered by the abhorrent anti gay stuff.I

But the highlight for me was Kash and A Winter's Tale. I did tear up a bit watching that. It just showed the love she has for her brother.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

JLP wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:38 pm
Didymus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm Wasn't quite expecting them to pull the "early draft of the movie" trick and reach his death halfway through, then spend WAY too long on the tribute concert.

I have to admit but I thought the programme would have concentrated on his work after 1986 including Barcelona. I felt a wee bit uncomfortable watching the footage around the Great Pretender stuff. It almost felt showing Freddie fooling around with the falsies and the bra was sending out the wrong message. Which of course was countered by the abhorrent anti gay stuff.I

But the highlight for me was Kash and A Winter's Tale. I did tear up a bit watching that. It just showed the love she has for her brother.
A connection with a brother is a connection that is inseparable under any circumstances.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Didymus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm... There was quite a lot of Freddie's story left out as a result of this so it feels odd...
I watched the doc yesterday and it strikes me as an AIDS awareness documentary using Freddie as a focal point, rather than a Freddie documentary.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

WeeMann wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 am
Didymus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm... There was quite a lot of Freddie's story left out as a result of this so it feels odd...
I watched the doc yesterday and it strikes me as an AIDS awareness documentary using Freddie as a focal point, rather than a Freddie documentary.
A very accurate description of what you saw.