Freddie as a Hologram

Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
WJ1977

Freddie as a Hologram

Post by WJ1977 »

Dear queen fans,

A very big applause to Roger and Brian who are still keeping the Queen machine running.
For me the forthcoming Miracle box with Freddie is something for me to look forward to .
The live performances with Lambert don’t have the Queen feel for me, something essential is missing.
I have attended several concerts with Rodgers and Lambert as a singer. Great to see Brian and
Roger performing so perfectly.

A really hope that Freddie will come back once again as a Hologram with or without roger and brian. a queen fan must see that live experience with this flamboyant singer. i really hope this may occur for one time in my life.

runner70

Re: Freddie as a Hologram

Post by runner70 »

WJ1977 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm Dear queen fans,

A very big applause to Roger and Brian who are still keeping the Queen machine running.
For me the forthcoming Miracle box with Freddie is something for me to look forward to .
The live performances with Lambert don’t have the Queen feel for me, something essential is missing.
I have attended several concerts with Rodgers and Lambert as a singer. Great to see Brian and
Roger performing so perfectly.

A really hope that Freddie will come back once again as a Hologram with or without roger and brian. a queen fan must see that live experience with this flamboyant singer. i really hope this may occur for one time in my life.
It wuld not surprise me and it still would be better than QAL but seeing what they did with the DIO Hologram is just a shame. SOmetimes you should put something to rest. YOu still have the original footage to get a glimpse of the experience. And this is the real thing not a computer generated hologram

Ray

Post by Ray »

I really don't want that. It's a weird idea in general and seeing videos from that Dio hologram really makes me wonder why people go there. I have a way better experience watching a live DVD at home than trying to fool me into believing somebody dead is standing there on stage. And I really regret never seeing Dio (and Freddie of course) live, still I won't go to those concerts.

It's always a magic moment when Freddie appears on the screen at a QAL concert, especially at the end of "Love Of My Love", and the way they do it as if he is standing next to Brian...but that's as "live" as it can get to me today.

I'd like them to release more live DVDs from the (late) 70s. That's the real deal and I'd really would prefer to watch those shows restored and in better picture quality than what's out there.

Wings of Butterflies

Post by Wings of Butterflies »

WJ1977 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm .......
As I replied in the other thread to this post, Freddie won't come back once again. His persona/aura/presence was famously felt by many people who, while they couldn't see him, knew he was in the room. No technology can recreate that.
There would be no live experience and it is NOT a must that fans have to see anything live to be a fan; there are millions around the world who have never seen them live & yet are probably 'bigger' fans than you or I.
This modern day obsession of trying to have what is physically impossible, of trying to manipulate death & all it's finality is really pointless considering many cannot manipulate & handle life all that well.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Ray wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm I really don't want that. It's a weird idea in general and seeing videos from that Dio hologram really makes me wonder why people go there. I have a way better experience watching a live DVD at home than trying to fool me into believing somebody dead is standing there on stage. And I really regret never seeing Dio (and Freddie of course) live, still I won't go to those concerts.

It's always a magic moment when Freddie appears on the screen at a QAL concert, especially at the end of "Love Of My Love", and the way they do it as if he is standing next to Brian...but that's as "live" as it can get to me today.

I'd like them to release more live DVDs from the (late) 70s. That's the real deal and I'd really would prefer to watch those shows restored and in better picture quality than what's out there.
I have become a fan of Dio in recent years. Would I want to see a hologram of him...no thanks. It's one of the biggest gimmicks in the music business, IMO.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

I think it would be fine during prerecorded parts of the show. It isn't like Roger and Brian can escape Freddie so they might as well embrace it. I consider everything at this point to be an entertainment cash grab.

If they want to go over the top they could have both Freddie and Bowie on stage for "Under Pressure". They could enrage two camps at once.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Not a fan of the hologram. I think what they do during the ay-yo parts of their concerts in recent years is enough and gets the job done. Someone else made the point already, but Freddie was spontaneous. It'd be weird seeing him on stage scripted and animated. No thanks. And this is coming from someone who would probably do anything to experience him live. I was born way too late. :(

Ray

Post by Ray »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:56 am I think it would be fine during prerecorded parts of the show. It isn't like Roger and Brian can escape Freddie so they might as well embrace it. I consider everything at this point to be an entertainment cash grab.

If they want to go over the top they could have both Freddie and Bowie on stage for "Under Pressure". They could enrage two camps at once.
They still wouldn't be on stage. I really don't get how people can somehow "cheat" their own perception, knowing that it's only a hologram. They could run the Wembley concert on a big screen as well, would be even the real Freddie and waaaaaay cheaper.

I think in general that the technology isn't good enough yet for something like this to look good/real. That Dio hologram sometimes looked aweful, as if he is a dwarf. And that one Michael Jackson hologram they once made was also based of an impersonator since they just can't convert a video recording to the hologram. So it wasn't actually his exact dancing, but the one from an impersonator. Same would be with Freddie and it would just look off, since he moved a lot on stage and they couldn't capture it good enough. (even if they hired Rami Malek for this) You can go see a tribute show with a good Freddie lookalike and probably get closer to the original than with a hologram. (especially considering Freddie was spontaneous)

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Ray wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am That Dio hologram sometimes looked aweful, as if he is a dwarf.
Did you ever see Dio in person? His first band was called Elf for a reason. (smiling)

Seriously, I don't really care either way about the hologram because I have no future plans of seeing Queen. My only real point was that Freddie is still massively popular and I suspect that most people going to the current Queen shows would get a kick out of a hologram. It's entertainment at this point.
Ray wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am They could run the Wembley concert on a big screen as well, would be even the real Freddie and waaaaaay cheaper.
You are definitely right about the cost, doing it right would take a real commitment.
Ray wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am You can go see a tribute show with a good Freddie lookalike and probably get closer to the original than with a hologram.
Speaking of such things...I'll be seeing the tribute band 'Almost Queen' next month.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 pm
Ray wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am That Dio hologram sometimes looked aweful, as if he is a dwarf.
Did you ever see Dio in person? His first band was called Elf for a reason. (smiling)
I never saw him live unfortunately, but I've seen all the official DVDs with him in Rainbow, Sabbath and his own band - yes, he wasn't the tallest, but I saw videos of the hologram where he looked even a lot shorter than he was. But I think the Dio hologram is in general not the best you can do with that technology, even now.

I'm looking forward the official Dio documentary that's being made right now... that's a better way to remember him - with archive footage of the real him.
Buckeye Randy wrote:
Ray wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am You can go see a tribute show with a good Freddie lookalike and probably get closer to the original than with a hologram.
Speaking of such things...I'll be seeing the tribute band 'Almost Queen' next month.
Are they any good? I only thought about going to one Queen tribute band last year (don't remember their name anymore though), but after looking at some YouTube videos of them, I decided to not go. It seems just too hard to recreate Freddie's voice AND stage presence. I'd rather just watch DVDs of Queen instead.

So far I've only seen one tribute band - Brit Floyd. They were surprisingly good, be it the musical performances and the impressive light show...both of course not on the same level as the real Floyd, but often really close. They put a lot of effort in those concerts and it was a great evening. Might go see them again in the future.