Queen on Compilations/Various Artists albums

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Old Man

Re: Queen on Compilations/Various Artists albums

Post by Old Man »

BTW. The first compilation I ever saw a genuine Queen track on, was the soundtrack to the movie FM, which had We Will Rock You somewhere in the middle of it. Fairly sure it was the very first, in the UK anyway.
The FM movie was around 1978, but there is an earlier compilation called "BBC TV's Old Grey whistle test" from 1975. It features "Keep yourself alive" as track 2.
Some Queen book in those days had the information, that this record featured a different version of this song, that's why I kept searching for it many many many years ago. But that turned out not to be true, when I finally found it.

The policy of "being the first" on a compilation may have the simple reason, that they wanted to have the best sound. Vinyl albums have the best quality at the beginning, cause with each round the length of the groove is getting shorter. And very often early samplers had more than 25 Minutes on one side, which in general lead to a poorer sound. So being at the beginning had the lowest risk of sounding muddy and distorted. I have later CDs, where Queen is on 4th position or even later. So they may have given up that policy at some point in time.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Old Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:45 pmThe policy of "being the first" on a compilation may have the simple reason, that they wanted to have the best sound. Vinyl albums have the best quality at the beginning, cause with each round the length of the groove is getting shorter. And very often early samplers had more than 25 Minutes on one side, which in general lead to a poorer sound. So being at the beginning had the lowest risk of sounding muddy and distorted. I have later CDs, where Queen is on 4th position or even later. So they may have given up that policy at some point in time.
They did say it was about the fact that people often put side 1 on, but may not get round to side 2 (or 4) so often, so being the first track made sure the song was right in front of people.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

WeeMann wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:11 pm They couldn't get the rights.

If you go on their Facebook page there's a thread where the question was asked and someone from the company mentioned it.
Sadly, this doesn't bode well for when they reach the Now albums with the KLF on them... was kinda hoping this'd be a way to get some of those songs back in print! :cry:

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Sadly, this doesn't bode well for when they reach the Now albums with the KLF on them... was kinda hoping this'd be a way to get some of those songs back in print! :cry:
I'm so glad I kept the original CDs

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Generic username wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:36 am
Sir Didymus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm so glad I kept the original CDs
I mean, I've got the songs... it'd just be nice for a new generation to find them. But yer know, Drummond & Cauty have their reasons for keeping things out of print, I guess....

All aboard, all aboard, woah! :D

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

The talk of the Now compilations reminded me that the first album I intentionally bought for myself was Now 30 on cassette. I didn't get it for any particular song, it was more a case of "your getting older now kid, you'd better start getting interested in pop music". I never bought another Now comp after that because the kind of music I was listening to wasn't going to be compiled on those albums. It was a shame really as Now 33 had 'Too Much Love Will Kill You' and Now 32 had 'Heaven for Everyone'.

Now 30 wasn't bad even though it contained mostly mid 90s forgettable pop. Oasis and Portishead were on it as well as the unfortunately named Corona.