Mad the swine

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
TheMiracleMan

Mad the swine

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Is it true that the Mad the swine could been between the Great King Rat and My fairy king, but was cut off because the group did not like how the mix was made.

Young Music Fan

Re: Mad the swine

Post by Young Music Fan »

Yes it is, although there's no reasons why we assume what you've put is the reason why. The drums at the end of Great King Rat would've segued into Mad The Swine but of course on the album they fade out. When it came to Mad The Swine being released for the first time they cut "I've" from the start hence why it begins with "Been" which sounds like a dodgy cut. Well perhaps dodgy but not the most smoothest of cuts.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am Yes it is, although there's no reasons why we assume what you've put is the reason why.
...except that the explanation given by the band at the time was exactly that?

Young Music Fan

Generic username wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 pm
Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am Yes it is, although there's no reasons why we assume what you've put is the reason why.
...except that the explanation given by the band at the time was exactly that?
Oh I didn't know that was official! I've heard other possible reasons why including that it was another song with religious lyrics on the first album (as there was already Liar and Jesus). I mean it must be true but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other factors.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am The drums at the end of Great King Rat would've segued into Mad The Swine but of course on the album they fade out. When it came to Mad The Swine being released for the first time they cut "I've" from the start hence why it begins with "Been" which sounds like a dodgy cut.
If this was true, it would mean, "Mad the Swine" was already part of the final master, then it was edited out and we now here that exact piece of tape.
But the "Mad the Swine", that was finally released around 1991, has a different EQ and sounds a lot fresher compared to the rest of the album in it's original early 70s mix.
So this version was obviously remixed from the original multitrack, that would have the missing "I've". But I doubt, Mr. Mercury ever sang that at all, as it's easier to start with "Been". Cause the "I've" would have been so short, that in the end it would have sounded more like "F-been here before".

If you compare the length of side one and two, there is really space for a song of that length. So maybe the song was considered for the album at some point, but never made it to the final master.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

It could have been from the master stereo mix, pre the mastering process, which would account for the difference in overall sound.

Generic username

Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 pm Oh I didn't know that was official!
Maybe hold back from telling others their views are unsubstantiated if you don't know yourself.

Young Music Fan

Generic username wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm
Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 pm Oh I didn't know that was official!
Maybe hold back from telling others their views are unsubstantiated if you don't know yourself.
Oh OK your issue, I'm really sorry to have offended you as it seems like that. I wrote that having not seen any evidence to prove that it was official in the first place but mind you I wasn't even alive when it was first released so I've never seen any documents or statements so I can only take your word for it.

Generic username

Young Music Fan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 pm
Oh OK your issue, I'm really sorry to have offended you as it seems like that. I wrote that having not seen any evidence to prove that it was official in the first place but mind you I wasn't even alive when it was first released so I've never seen any documents or statements so I can only take your word for it.
1. I wasn't offended, it's only the Internet.
2. You're allowed to read things written before you were born eg Shakespeare, Dickens... after all - most of Queen's output was released before you were born and you manage to listen to them!

I'm really not making a personal attack, it was intended to encourage you to read up about stuff instead of believing the first thing you see on the Internet.