If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Post Reply

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
15
88%
No
1
6%
Maybe
1
6%
 
Total votes: 17

User avatar
JLP
Site Admin
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm
Location: Here

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by JLP »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm
whitequeen20 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am The point is though that if you no longer have immunity and you catch it again, even if it doesn't make you ill, you can still pass it on to other people, vulnerable people who are now being told it's ok to go out and encouraged to get back to work etc. Masks protect others more than they do you so even if you aren't bothered for yourself I'd assume you wouldn't want to be responsible for potentially infecting others who might subsequently die or be seriously ill for a long time.
I would have understood it more if this had happened four months ago. It's bizarre that now it's under control, we are going backwards. Last week I shopped quite cheerfully with the hand gels and the distancing, with no apparent risk to others, now t's apparently not safe to do that? It doesn't make sense.

I asked this before, but I wilĺ ask it again. Should we now adopt this policy every winter because the flu is likely to kill 20,000 people? The disease might differ and it might be less severe, but the point that we are all infecting others with it is exactly the same.
Personally I think that, privately, they are terrified of a second wave of the virus. So they are changing the advice and if it comes, they will say it is because people did not use their common sense as advised.

I had to ask one customer numerous times yesterday to put the mask he had around his chin up across his mouth and nose.

User avatar
Frank
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Frank »

There is so much scientist's don't understand about the virus. To assume the health effects are the same as the flu is an assumption not worth chancing. And by health effects, I'm not talking about what anyone without a degree can see 'now'. I'm referring to the future. For example, what impact will this have on people who already had it? Certain individuals have had the virus but then some time later they're infected again. For example, in New Jersey there were at least two patients who recovered and tested negative, but months later it returned with them experiencing the exact same symptoms of the disease and testing positive. One of those patients showed symptoms after attending a party. Again, we should all be using caution when socializing. It's not an infringement on anyone's rights. It's simply the right thing to do for the time being until scientists can get a better understanding of exactly what we're dealing with here.

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm
whitequeen20 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am The point is though that if you no longer have immunity and you catch it again, even if it doesn't make you ill, you can still pass it on to other people, vulnerable people who are now being told it's ok to go out and encouraged to get back to work etc. Masks protect others more than they do you so even if you aren't bothered for yourself I'd assume you wouldn't want to be responsible for potentially infecting others who might subsequently die or be seriously ill for a long time.
I would have understood it more if this had happened four months ago. It's bizarre that now it's under control, we are going backwards. Last week I shopped quite cheerfully with the hand gels and the distancing, with no apparent risk to others, now t's apparently not safe to do that? It doesn't make sense.

I asked this before, but I wilĺ ask it again. Should we now adopt this policy every winter because the flu is likely to kill 20,000 people? The disease might differ and it might be less severe, but the point that we are all infecting others with it is exactly the same.
It makes sense. You weren't safe to do that last week any more than you are this week. The government, as per usual, completely dropped the ball on this one. They should've made masks mandatory back in March, but then what do you expect from the shitshow in No 10 right now?

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

Frank wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:00 pm There is so much scientist's don't understand about the virus. To assume the health effects are the same as the flu is an assumption not worth chancing. And by health effects, I'm not talking about what anyone without a degree can see 'now'. I'm referring to the future. For example, what impact will this have on people who already had it? Certain individuals have had the virus but then some time later they're infected again. For example, in New Jersey there were at least two patients who recovered and tested negative, but months later it returned with them experiencing the exact same symptoms of the disease and testing positive. One of those patients showed symptoms after attending a party. Again, we should all be using caution when socializing. It's not an infringement on anyone's rights. It's simply the right thing to do for the time being until scientists can get a better understanding of exactly what we're dealing with here.
Exactly this. I saw my best friend for the first time in over 4 months on Saturday, for a socially distanced picnic in the park. I wanted to hug him so badly, because I've missed his presence in my life, and no amount of Skype calls will make up for it. But there was no contact. We can't risk it. This thing could kill us both...

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by fairydandy »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:04 pm It makes sense. You weren't safe to do that last week any more than you are this week.
Where's the risk? What we were doing brought the virus under control, quite adequately.

Anyway, no one is answering my question about flu, but everyone is going on about how the virus differs from the flu. That's not my point, my point is that every winter we pass on the flu virus to the elderly and they die. Should we now cover up every winter to stop this, or don't these people matter because they are old?

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:04 pm It makes sense. You weren't safe to do that last week any more than you are this week.
Where's the risk? What we were doing brought the virus under control, quite adequately.

Anyway, no one is answering my question about flu, but everyone is going on about how the virus differs from the flu. That's not my point, my point is that every winter we pass on the flu virus to the elderly and they die. Should we now cover up every winter to stop this, or don't these people matter because they are old?
Is it under control? There were around the same number of cases daily for the last 2 weeks as there were at the start of lockdown. New Zealand has it under control... we don't.

As I said up thread - Covid-19 has a greater infection rate, and a higher death rate than the flu. That's why it's not comparable. There's no vaccine yet, but there is for the flu. No actual treatment that's been confirmed to work, whereas the flu CAN be treated and has a 60% recovery rate. A lot of elderly people die of the flu because they don't go into hospital when they catch it.

User avatar
JLP
Site Admin
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm
Location: Here

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by JLP »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm
fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:04 pm It makes sense. You weren't safe to do that last week any more than you are this week.
Where's the risk? What we were doing brought the virus under control, quite adequately.

Anyway, no one is answering my question about flu, but everyone is going on about how the virus differs from the flu. That's not my point, my point is that every winter we pass on the flu virus to the elderly and they die. Should we now cover up every winter to stop this, or don't these people matter because they are old?
Is it under control? There were around the same number of cases daily for the last 2 weeks as there were at the start of lockdown. New Zealand has it under control... we don't.

As I said up thread - Covid-19 has a greater infection rate, and a higher death rate than the flu. That's why it's not comparable. There's no vaccine yet, but there is for the flu. No actual treatment that's been confirmed to work, whereas the flu CAN be treated and has a 60% recovery rate. A lot of elderly people die of the flu because they don't go into hospital when they catch it.
Add to that a lot less people died because of the lockdown.

User avatar
Elessar
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Elessar »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:48 am
fairydandy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:09 pmNot that I am bothered, if I die, I die. I don’t want that to happen, but it is what it is.
Not Covid related, but I just wanted to flag this response, as I think it's really quite a sad thing to read. And I don't mean sad in a "not cool" way... I mean genuinely a little bit upsetting that you're so flippant about what's left of your time here. :(

I think we only get one life, and I want to live mine for as long as I can. If my mind goes, and I have no idea who I am anymore, then by all means, drop me off a cliff or something. If my body gives up and every day is painful for me and those around me, then put a pillow over my head and get it over with. But as long as I've got some degree of good health, then I want to stay alive and experience as much as I can... and if that means I have to wear a mask for the next 20 years when I go outside so be it.
“When the longest- and shortest-lived of us dies their loss is precisely equal. For the sole thing of which any of us can be deprived is the present, since this is all we own, and nobody can lose what is not theirs.”

- Marcus Aurelius

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by fairydandy »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pmAs I said up thread - Covid-19 has a greater infection rate, and a higher death rate than the flu. That's why it's not comparable. There's no vaccine yet, but there is for the flu. No actual treatment that's been confirmed to work, whereas the flu CAN be treated and has a 60% recovery rate. A lot of elderly people die of the flu because they don't go into hospital when they catch it.
...but they get it from.people who aren't wearing masks. There is no ifference.

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

I give up, mate... you do you. :|

Post Reply