Restructuring Hot Space

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
User avatar
Frank
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Frank »

I don't think it's fair to be too critical of the album's sound. Yes, the synth drums and so forth sound dated, but there's no way they could have known at the time. To them and so many other musicians it sounded like the future of music (and they were right) but they couldn't take into account the lengths at which that technology would go years down the line. And honestly, it doesn't sound that bad and the songwriting was still solid. I can't say that any single song isn't well constructed and/or well performed. I also don't see a problem with the music videos. While Back Chat was nothing to rave about, Calling All Girls had a great science fiction tie in that I really appreciate. And say what you will about Body Language, but that video is classic Freddie with some of his campiest moments. I definitely note the divisions within the band, but that era was so much fun if we can put aside the record sales and bad reviews.

User avatar
action
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:31 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by action »

there's so much songs to love. las palabras de amor, calling all girls, action this day, staying power, cool cat, under pressure, put out the fire, dancer....

Apart from body language, all these songs are killer, no filler.

there really are no bad Queen albums come to think of it.

User avatar
White Queen
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:54 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by White Queen »

action wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 am there's so much songs to love. las palabras de amor, calling all girls, action this day, staying power, cool cat, under pressure, put out the fire, dancer....

Apart from body language, all these songs are killer, no filler.

there really are no bad Queen albums come to think of it.
I totally agree with you there

Jake
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:45 am

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Jake »

Old Man wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm I think, the only thing one can do to improve "Hot Space" is exchanging most songs with their live versions. Cause the real problem of "Hot Space" is the sound. It was a mystery even then, why a band with such great and recognisable players replaced them with soul-less drumcomputers and keyboards. Those "new" sounds may have sounded fresh then. But as we know by now, artificial sounds like syn-drums do not age well. Many 80s recordings from countless other artists also suffer from that. While even well recorded 60s-stuff with drums, bass, guitar and piano has passed the test of time like the later Beatles-recordings.

If "Queen" had recorded the "Hot Space"-songs with the "dance grooves", but using their original analogue instruments, the album might have turned out more exciting, original and long-lasting. Just see what "Queen" have done with the "Mr.Bad Guy"-songs for "Made in Heaven". Some of the "Hot Space" tracks might have been good candidates for a "Made in Heaven 2". But probably this is too late now....

I think 81/82 was a difficult time for the band. They didn't know where to go, also they seemed to run out of songs. And even the videos looked uninspired compared to what was before and came after.

But I think that's a natural thing for any artist. "Queen" were already 10 years around by then, most successful acts only have just 3 to 5 years and then disappear. So I remember visiting an early "Hot Space" concert then and thinking, this could have been the beginning of the end. Luckily I was wrong....they learned their lesson. So "Hot Space" was no good album, but a necessary step on their way.
I tend to skip Queen’s versions of Freddie’s solo tracks. Especially I Was Born To Love You and Love Kills. Brian certainly did have some anger about Freddie’s Mr. Bad Guy album.

User avatar
Frank
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Frank »

Jake wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 am I tend to skip Queen’s versions of Freddie’s solo tracks. Especially I Was Born To Love You and Love Kills. Brian certainly did have some anger about Freddie’s Mr. Bad Guy album.
Granted, he's criticized Freddie for not coming to him for the guitar parts (because they sounded like a pale imitation of him) but I don't think that equates to anger. Where have you heard him express anger over the album? Certainly news to me.

User avatar
runner70
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by runner70 »

Frank wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 pm
Jake wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 am I tend to skip Queen’s versions of Freddie’s solo tracks. Especially I Was Born To Love You and Love Kills. Brian certainly did have some anger about Freddie’s Mr. Bad Guy album.
Granted, he's criticized Freddie for not coming to him for the guitar parts (because they sounded like a pale imitation of him) but I don't think that equates to anger. Where have you heard him express anger over the album? Certainly news to me.
So you never saw this shame of a movie called "BR"? You could call it "Brian's Revenge" as well

User avatar
Frank
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Frank »

runner70 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:32 am
Frank wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 pm
Jake wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 am I tend to skip Queen’s versions of Freddie’s solo tracks. Especially I Was Born To Love You and Love Kills. Brian certainly did have some anger about Freddie’s Mr. Bad Guy album.
Granted, he's criticized Freddie for not coming to him for the guitar parts (because they sounded like a pale imitation of him) but I don't think that equates to anger. Where have you heard him express anger over the album? Certainly news to me.
So you never saw this shame of a movie called "BR"? You could call it "Brian's Revenge" as well
It's pretty clear the movie suggests that Brian and the rest of the band didn't approve of Freddie's behavior, not necessarily the album itself. Him signing a record deal and firing John Reid without first talking with the rest of the band were the final straws before they broke up for two years. Notice anything peculiar? The bulk of that is made up bullshit to help bring more asses to the theater. So I take whatever I see in that film with a strong dose of salt.

Now, if we want to talk about the overall way Freddie's portrayed in that film, then yeah, i guess we can talk about a suppressed grudge that showed its ugly face in a film passive aggressively. But then again, we don't really know (or it's not clear) how much say Bri and Rog had over the final script. Does it make me sick to think they might actually have a personal vendetta against their departed friend? Most definitely.

But if we go by public statements and the like I find no evidence that Brian hated the album itself. But he has been outspoken regarding his disapproval of the way Freddie conducted his personal life -- mostly out of concern for his friend's health and well-being. His feelings on DSMN spring to mind.


User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Sir Didymus »

Frank wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm It's pretty clear the movie suggests that Brian and the rest of the band didn't approve of Freddie's behavior, not necessarily the album itself. Him signing a record deal and firing John Reid without first talking with the rest of the band were the final straws before they broke up for two years. Notice anything peculiar? The bulk of that is made up bullshit to help bring more asses to the theater. So I take whatever I see in that film with a strong dose of salt.

Now, if we want to talk about the overall way Freddie's portrayed in that film, then yeah, i guess we can talk about a suppressed grudge that showed its ugly face in a film passive aggressively. But then again, we don't really know (or it's not clear) how much say Bri and Rog had over the final script. Does it make me sick to think they might actually have a personal vendetta against their departed friend? Most definitely.
Another topic for another time, I guess, but as a queer person, I was shellshocked by the movie. I left the cinema feeling like Brian, Roger and the rest of the core creative team had used this bisexual icon who has been a hero of mine for almost as long as I can remember, to give everyone a two hour lecture on why homosexuality was bad. The way they had him renounce his naughty gay ways and beg forgiveness to return to the band was disgusting. The way they hetwashed his bisexuality out of the picture was awful. The way the film was basically "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" without the jokes was laughable.

Never, ever, ever want to see that trash again. You can hire the best actors in the world, but they can't save garbage.

User avatar
Frank
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Frank »

Sir Didymus wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:51 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm It's pretty clear the movie suggests that Brian and the rest of the band didn't approve of Freddie's behavior, not necessarily the album itself. Him signing a record deal and firing John Reid without first talking with the rest of the band were the final straws before they broke up for two years. Notice anything peculiar? The bulk of that is made up bullshit to help bring more asses to the theater. So I take whatever I see in that film with a strong dose of salt.

Now, if we want to talk about the overall way Freddie's portrayed in that film, then yeah, i guess we can talk about a suppressed grudge that showed its ugly face in a film passive aggressively. But then again, we don't really know (or it's not clear) how much say Bri and Rog had over the final script. Does it make me sick to think they might actually have a personal vendetta against their departed friend? Most definitely.
Another topic for another time, I guess, but as a queer person, I was shellshocked by the movie. I left the cinema feeling like Brian, Roger and the rest of the core creative team had used this bisexual icon who has been a hero of mine for almost as long as I can remember, to give everyone a two hour lecture on why homosexuality was bad. The way they had him renounce his naughty gay ways and beg forgiveness to return to the band was disgusting. The way they hetwashed his bisexuality out of the picture was awful. The way the film was basically "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" without the jokes was laughable.

Never, ever, ever want to see that trash again. You can hire the best actors in the world, but they can't save garbage.
I hear you loud and clear. This probably deserves its own topic so it doesn't take over an otherwise decent conversation about Hot Space.

And here you go...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=282

Post Reply