Brit Awards 1990

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
User avatar
MyHumanZoo
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:16 am

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I did wonder about whether he had extra material in order to accommodate layers to keep him warm, but even with layers it sure seemed big. Either way, I’m not trying to be macabre or really even get an explanation. Just something that crosses my mind when I see that picture.

It always makes me sad to see him like that, and to see how downcast the whole band seemed as well. Just heartbreaking!

Wings of Butterflies
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 am

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Wings of Butterflies »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:05 pm I did wonder about whether he had extra material in order to accommodate layers to keep him warm, but even with layers it sure seemed big. Either way, I’m not trying to be macabre or really even get an explanation. Just something that crosses my mind when I see that picture.

It always makes me sad to see him like that, and to see how downcast the whole band seemed as well. Just heartbreaking!
Could have also been a matter of a last minute decision to attend. That being so, it could be one out of the wardrobe that just showed how much he has wasted away at that stage.

I'm a bit battle hardened when it comes to seeing terminally ill people try to live a 'normal' existence. So it not so much saddens me, it's more of a regret I have that he felt he needed to attend. The decision would have been one 'for the fans' instead of making a decision based on what was best for his health.

While we as fans love to see our idols out & about, at what cost is that to them?

Black Wings

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Black Wings »

Picard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm Pretty sure I read somewhere that he wore loose fitting clothing as he was in intense pain which was exacerbated by clothing rubbing against his skin.
It could very well be that too. It's not the same but when my father was dying he could ot wear his favorite baseball caps, because it hurt him so much.
What the man went through...and faced it with such courage. Truthfully, I think that is just as important as the music.

Black Wings

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Black Wings »

My memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment for this, but do we know for sure that Freddie b didn't want to attend, or feel the need to attend for the fans?

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Dave »

Wings of Butterflies wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 am
The decision would have been one 'for the fans' instead of making a decision based on what was best for his health.

While we as fans love to see our idols out & about, at what cost is that to them?
Record company pressure.

Wings of Butterflies
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 am

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Wings of Butterflies »

Dave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:36 am
Wings of Butterflies wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 am
The decision would have been one 'for the fans' instead of making a decision based on what was best for his health.

While we as fans love to see our idols out & about, at what cost is that to them?
Record company pressure.
They didn't have any record company pressure by then. They called the shots.

No I meant in HIS mind, he wanted to do this for his fans.
That is how he lived his life until he withdrew; thinking of what the fans wanted rather than what he needed.

User avatar
MyFaerieQueene
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

Picard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm Pretty sure I read somewhere that he wore loose fitting clothing as he was in intense pain which was exacerbated by clothing rubbing against his skin.
I think on the Freddie Mercury: Lover of Life, Singer of Songs film Diana Moseley mentions making Freddie some comfortable cashmere clothes because normal fabric rubbed too painfully.

Didn't the band hold a party at the Groucho Club afterwards with a Monopoly cake?

I've never seen the whole video before, it's very moving.

Black Wings

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Black Wings »

Wings of Butterflies wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:38 am
Dave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:36 am
Wings of Butterflies wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 am
The decision would have been one 'for the fans' instead of making a decision based on what was best for his health.

While we as fans love to see our idols out & about, at what cost is that to them?
Record company pressure.
They didn't have any record company pressure by then. They called the shots.

No I meant in HIS mind, he wanted to do this for his fans.
That is how he lived his life until he withdrew; thinking of what the fans wanted rather than what he needed.
I've been trying to find information these last couple days. I couldn't find anything that said he wanted to attend the Brits for the fans.

User avatar
MusicalProstitute
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Ah, man - this takes me right back. I can clearly recall watching The Brits '90 live and thinking how thin Fred looked - but I still had no idea he was dying. He looked so vulnerable, bless him.

rpt81
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 pm

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by rpt81 »

With hindsight, could it just be another "damned if he does" scenario? He goes to the awards and the press will speculate on his health because of his appearance, but if he stays home and lets the rest of the band accept the award then they'll speculate on his health because he didn't show up.

Post Reply