The homeopathy challenge

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:The argument that inspired Citrullus lanatas was one about whether or not a KFC advert featuring black people eating fried chicken was racist. Think of that! How times have changed - now we're worried that saying Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a silly word is racist.

That's not a word, it's the name of a place and not even the real name, it's a deliberately daft tourist attraction, in English it's a sentence, which it you were to squash all the words together in would look equally daft. It's also a bitch of a place to ask directions to, with the locals pretending not to know where you mean. :P

Are you sure it isn't? There's a picture of my grandad at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch train station in 1963...standing in front of a sign with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch written on it. If it only took 5 years or so for the word "google" to officially enter the English language as a proper word, then it must officially be called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch by now.

It is the official place name, but I suspect it's stuck because it's a good tourist attraction. The locals call it Llanfairpwll or Llanfair PG, but the tourists (all 36 of them) pose by the sign at the railway station and that sort of nonsense.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Spacey explains it nicely.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:38 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:The argument that inspired Citrullus lanatas was one about whether or not a KFC advert featuring black people eating fried chicken was racist. Think of that! How times have changed - now we're worried that saying Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a silly word is racist.

That's not a word, it's the name of a place and not even the real name, it's a deliberately daft tourist attraction, in English it's a sentence, which it you were to squash all the words together in would look equally daft. It's also a bitch of a place to ask directions to, with the locals pretending not to know where you mean. :P

Are you sure it isn't? There's a picture of my grandad at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch train station in 1963...standing in front of a sign with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch written on it. If it only took 5 years or so for the word "google" to officially enter the English language as a proper word, then it must officially be called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch by now.

Yeah my sister lived about a mile away from it for years. It is officially called that, but it was extended from the original name to attract tourists, another place in Wales held the record for the longest place name so the original name which was about half the length, (Or Cthlan-Vye-PG, as it's known by the locals. :P ) was extended to the full thing. At least I think that's the story. Also the web address llanfairpwllgwyngogerychwyndrobwllllanttysiogogogochuchaf.org.uk is the longest domain name in the world. :P
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
Poor Belle...We must seem like the annoying people who try to convince people like us that Queen were a "rubbish band and...Limp Bizkit are better".

:lol: Life would be very dull indeed if someone didn't occasionally try to tell me Queen are shit. ;)

We know they're wrong though, don't we Belle?

We hope every one with a working brain knows we don't know anything, we think it's a likely scenario. :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
We hope every one with a working brain knows we don't know anything, we think it's a likely scenario. :P

Everyone with a working brain thinks it's a likely scenario that we don't know anything, we think it's a likely scenario.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Elessar wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:

Everyone with a working brain thinks it's a likely scenario that we don't know anything, we think it's a likely scenario.

:lol: Yeah something like that.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.

Thinking about it, luck/superstition applies to the above as well...

I know there's a superstition about not seeing the bride for a certain period before the wedding and if I ever get married, I'll purposely break the tradition because I think it's a load of rubbish.

Only reason I bring it up was because I watched a wedding programme on TV last night (not by choice) and the bride was whinging about how she hadn't seen her partner for three weeks and they were both organising the wedding completely separately from each other and none of it made sense to me. I didn't realise the bride and groom couldn't see each other for THAT long :?

It's just the morning of the wedding. I think it's a nice tradition because it's cool for the groom to not see the bride in her dress until she's walking down the aisle. Take all the superstitious nonsense out of it, and it's a nice idea.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.

I know there's a superstition about not seeing the bride for a certain period before the wedding and if I ever get married, I'll purposely break the tradition because I think it's a load of rubbish.

Only reason I bring it up was because I watched a wedding programme on TV last night (not by choice) and the bride was whinging about how she hadn't seen her partner for three weeks and they were both organising the wedding completely separately from each other and none of it made sense to me. I didn't realise the bride and groom couldn't see each other for THAT long :?

I thought it was only on the day of the wedding.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 pm

PTRACER wrote:

Over here, it's the day of the wedding until she walks through the door on her father's or family member's arm.

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 pm

PTRACER wrote:I sort of thought so, but me knowing nothing about weddings, and knowing he was organising one half of the wedding with his inbred looking friend who "wanted to go dahhn the pub for some brewskies", and she was organising the other half, and they didn't talk to each other for three weeks and she lived with her sister for three weeks...

How do a couple of atheists get married? Sign a bit of paper and stick it in the post?

Registry office! The only difference is no stained glass windows, no praying, no crucifixes, no ridiculous vows and no moral lecture from the priest. It doesn't even have to be a horrible boring council registry office, all sorts of nice buildings are registered for weddings.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Elessar wrote:
PTRACER wrote:I sort of thought so, but me knowing nothing about weddings, and knowing he was organising one half of the wedding with his inbred looking friend who "wanted to go dahhn the pub for some brewskies", and she was organising the other half, and they didn't talk to each other for three weeks and she lived with her sister for three weeks...

How do a couple of atheists get married? Sign a bit of paper and stick it in the post?

Registry office! The only difference is no stained glass windows, no praying, no crucifixes, no ridiculous vows and no moral lecture from the priest. It doesn't even have to be a horrible boring council registry office, all sorts of nice buildings are registered for weddings.

Yeah anywhere you like really. I plan on a Beauty and the Beast themed wedding, I doubt a church will allow that. :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 pm

PTRACER wrote:Marry me and I'll save you money on my costume.

:lol: Hahaha, I figured the groom would be the prince, if I can find someone willing to get married in a torn white pirate shirt and ripped denim shorts... and shoulder length ginger hair...
My parents weren't too impressed by their costumes either; Mrs Potts and Crazy Old Maurice.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Yeah anywhere you like really. I plan on a Beauty and the Beast themed wedding, I doubt a church will allow that. :P

What the hell's wrong with you?!

I'm 8 days behind schedule. I was talking to some fellow pens-in-pockets-people about how if I want a wife and kids by the time I'm in my early 30s, I probably needed to meet my future wife that afternoon (last Wednesday), because you need a good year or so (probably more) to be sure you want to marry them, then as much as another year to plan the wedding, then a couple of years of marriage before you start having kids. This is further complicated by the fact that between the ages of 26 and 28 I'm going to have absolutely no time whatsoever to meet anyone, so I have to meet her either 2 years before I'm 26, or delay the whole process by 4 years. Hence the start-date of last week. I'm 8 days behind schedule. Need to sort this out.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 pm

PTRACER wrote:
As atheist I may be, I like churches. Even when religion dies out, I'd like to see them being maintained. Most of the oldest buildings still in use in Britain are churches. I'm guessing it would be a little rude of me to ask to be married in a church without bringing God into it.

Some churches would do it. I probably wouldn't mention your theory religion will die out, but I reckon Anglican churches would be okay with it.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
As atheist I may be, I like churches. Even when religion dies out, I'd like to see them being maintained. Most of the oldest buildings still in use in Britain are churches. I'm guessing it would be a little rude of me to ask to be married in a church without bringing God into it.

Some churches would do it. I probably wouldn't mention your theory religion will die out, but I reckon Anglican churches would be okay with it.

Just fake being religious. It's pretty easy.
Problem there is that if we were pretending to be religious, I'd probably insist on pretending to be Catholic, which means the future wife would probably have to go through a sham conversion.

Elessar

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World