Queen + Paul Rodgers!

Queen tours, one-off shows, bootlegs, merchandise
AngelR

Queen + Paul Rodgers!

Post by AngelR »

Sorry I couldn't find a thread for Queen + PR. Paul's just shared this video online. Blast from the past!

Mona Lisa

Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers!

Post by Mona Lisa »

Nostalgy to see them much younger.....
At the time I thought they were so old :D
I think Show must go on was a highlight with QPR.
I'm surely an exception but I never heard of Free or Bad Company before QPR, so that was a nice discovery.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:48 pm Nostalgy to see them much younger.....
At the time I thought they were so old :D
I think Show must go on was a highlight with QPR.
I'm surely an exception but I never heard of Free or Bad Company before QPR, so that was a nice discovery.
I actually didn't like PR singing TSMGO...it sounded do strange to my ears.
I loved the Q+PR era, for awhile it looked fun, straight up rock in roll with grit which I appreciated then and now. I've never saw them live, but I would have loved to have had the chance.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:48 pm I'm surely an exception but I never heard of Free or Bad Company before QPR, so that was a nice discovery.
Bad Company was saddled with the term 'supergroup' plus being signed to Zeppelin's Swan Song label created huge expectations from the jump. I suppose they met expectations but they were never my cup of tea outside of 10 songs or so.

Free was a really good band.

Frank

Post by Frank »

I regret I never had the opportunity to see QPR. I was much too young and the few times I asked my parents if I could see them I was turned down. :(

But I have fond memories of watching Return of the Champions and the Ukraine DVD. I thought Paul Rodgers was respectful and did his own thing really well. He was an interesting contrast to the classic Queen sound.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Frank wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:31 am I regret I never had the opportunity to see QPR. I was much too young and the few times I asked my parents if I could see them I was turned down. :(

But I have fond memories of watching Return of the Champions and the Ukraine DVD. I thought Paul Rodgers was respectful and did his own thing really well. He was an interesting contrast to the classic Queen sound.
One of the problems at the Cleveland show was Bad Co was always a bigger concert draw than Queen. This led to the songs by Paul Rogers being received better than many Queen songs. The show as a whole would have been much better if 40% of the songs were from Rogers catalog. Medleys including songs from Queen and Bad Co together would have been great.

I remember thinking at the time it would have been cool if Paul Rogers would brought guitarist Mick Ralphs along for the ride. Ralph knows all the guys in Queen from his Mott The Hoople days so hopefully no problem there. Just thinking out loud.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

did anyone catch Paul Rodgers as a host on the sirius xm Queen channel?

would love to know what he talked about. I'm sure it was nothing new, but still...

I listened to Super Live in Japan yesterday. A great snapshot of a great era.

Age takes its toll, but still - the recent qal show must go on clip shows a band with much less power than 2005-2008

Dali

Post by Dali »

I was too young and too behind the Iron Curtain to see Queen live with Freddie. I'm too old to like Adam what's-his-face.

I saw QPR twice, once on each tour. To me, that's MY Queen. I miss that band terribly.

Oh, and the album is still in my car and always will be. Some badass songs on there. Love it!

V.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Dali wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 pm I saw QPR twice, once on each tour. To me, that's MY Queen. I miss that band terribly.

Oh, and the album is still in my car and always will be. Some badass songs on there. Love it!
I think that's great you connected with that line-up and got to see them twice.

I think it's difficult to 'connect' with more than one vocalist with any given band. Sure, there is always a line-up that sold the most albums or a line-up that 'experts' say is definitive but at the end of the day a person likes what they like and that's all that really matters.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Dali wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 pm
I saw QPR twice, once on each tour. To me, that's MY Queen. I miss that band terribly.

V.
"Cosmos" definitely is a good rockalbum. The "problem" was labelling it as "Queen". When they play the "Queen" catalogue, it's absolutely okay to use the name, cause people get "Queen"- music in the best possible way by as most original members as possible. Including Freddie on the screen.

But when they create new songs, it can't be "Queen", no matter, who of the four is missing. The "Queen" music resulted from the combination of four strong egos. And that was missing on that QPR album. People expected too much "Queen".
The same album might have worked better the other way around. Labeling it "RTM", people might have said, it's a great rockalbum and it sometimes even has some "Queen-moments".... ;)