Flash Gordon

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Mona Lisa

Flash Gordon

Post by Mona Lisa »

Flash Gordon:
What are your highlights of the album, your personnal favourite moments?

My favourite moment is the song "The Kiss".
It's one of the most beautiful Freddie things ever.

And my other highlight is the Football fight :))
It's a turning point in the movie, and it's so joyful :))
And that was great to hear the bonus version of it as well.

White Queen

Re: Flash Gordon

Post by White Queen »

I totally agree with you, The Kiss is just pure magic (it should just take longer...) and Football Fight makes me feel good, but I also like The Hero.

action

Post by action »

I always found this album a waste of money

it's basically a bunch of early ideas for songs (if that), the vast majority without vocals, attached to a mediocre movie.

I don't think I listened to this album more than twice. Don't see the point.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

I actually really like this album. I'd rather to hear it without the dialogue and sound effects. In The Space Capsule and Marriage Of Dale And Ming are very underrated as is Vultan's Theme

White Queen

Post by White Queen »

Young Music Fan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:12 am I actually really like this album. I'd rather to hear it without the dialogue and sound effects. In The Space Capsule and Marriage Of Dale And Ming are very underrated as is Vultan's Theme
I like the album especially to listen to while you are working, but you are right, sometimes the dialogues disturb. That's why on The Hero, The Kiss and Football Fight I prefer the early versions

Frank

Post by Frank »

I love the album. It's not something I listen to randomly though. I have to be in the right frame of mind because it really is mostly atmospheric music. But that's why it works so well for the film. It sets a tone. But there are certain tracks that do stand on their own: the theme, Football Fight, The Kiss, and The Hero. And in my opinion, The Hero is so unappreciated. It's one of their best rocking songs from the 1980s, right up there with Princes of the Universe. And the part where the orchestra is featured with those strings being played staccato is outstanding, and finally the callback to the Flash theme in the coda. It's the perfect way to conclude the album. Absolutely brilliant. I also love the way Roger plays set on this one. Perfect accents and a very crunchy part that compliments the main riff nicely. And those drum fills. My God, this might be in my top 10 fav Queen songs from the 1980s. haha

Edit: Would like to add that the dialogue makes the album for me. I love that it takes us through the story. By the end of the album, it's as if I've just watched the film.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

I don't know how to feel about this album. Hmmm, when I first heard this album on cassette, I didn't understand it. Only instrumental, occasionally diluted with songs.Then I lost the cassette with the album and forgot about this album, I remembered when I bought it on CD. Again, I didn't understand. But I liked it.

maidenpriest

Post by maidenpriest »

Frank wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:02 pm I love the album. It's not something I listen to randomly though. I have to be in the right frame of mind because it really is mostly atmospheric music. But that's why it works so well for the film. It sets a tone. But there are certain tracks that do stand on their own: the theme, Football Fight, The Kiss, and The Hero. And in my opinion, The Hero is so unappreciated. It's one of their best rocking songs from the 1980s, right up there with Princes of the Universe. And the part where the orchestra is featured with those strings being played staccato is outstanding, and finally the callback to the Flash theme in the coda. It's the perfect way to conclude the album. Absolutely brilliant. I also love the way Roger plays set on this one. Perfect accents and a very crunchy part that compliments the main riff nicely. And those drum fills. My God, this might be in my top 10 fav Queen songs from the 1980s. haha

Edit: Would like to add that the dialogue makes the album for me. I love that it takes us through the story. By the end of the album, it's as if I've just watched the film.
My favourite Queen album from the 1980's without a doubt :)

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Would have been a great EP. With Flash and Hero and maybe two others.

As an album it is just the soundtrack to a quite trashy movie. It never became a soundtrack to my life, as most of the others did....

maidenpriest

Post by maidenpriest »

I'll take Flash Gordon the movie rather than the Bohemian Rhapsody biopic any day :)