Shall we proceed with the new layout?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:33 am

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 20

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Re: Re-organization of Forum -- The Voting Booth

Post by Innuendoes »

Speaking of the forum and this isn't a reorganization but I have noticed that there is difficulty in deleting messages from the PM boxes, both incoming and outgoing and people get an error message. So I looked that up last night just to see if there was anything on google. It took me to the phpBB admin boards and I found out what it is. It's that the forum cache needs to be deleted and only the admin who is the board Founder can do it. I take it that poses a problem since neither Ian or Nick are rarely online. This sounds like a very simple thing to do but only the Founder can do it. I'll go find the post and add it, here.

This is the error message.
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
This is the solution.
You'll have to purge the cache in the ACP
Login on forum frontpage, click on link to administration control panel (ACP), login again.
While in ACP
Under the General tab, find "Purge The Cache" click on the button "Run Now"

Edit:
More info in the knowledge base
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... pbb-cache/

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

JLP wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 am
Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:58 am Any chance of an update on this? Appreciate lots might be going on keeping Nick busy - but if I can lend a hand in any way let me know. If you want to grant me temporary access, I'm more than happy to lock myself down for a day and move everything around if nobody else can do it! ;)
I don't have the permission from either Nick or Ian to change anything Didy. I have not heard from either since the early days of this new forum. So as it stands I guess things are staying as it is.
Cheers, JLP. Totally understand things are stuck... doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but simple matters like being able to go look at the topics around music/film etc without having to scroll past all the political nonsense would be hugely appreciated.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Until this place pulls its shit together, this might be worth checking out, Didy.

https://queenchat.boards.net/

The forum is an offshoot of Queenzone. Members had finally had enough of that place and decided to start a new forum. I've only been there for a few days, but it seems well monitored and organized. Of course, I won't be leaving QOL. I enjoy many of the people here, and I'm sure things will come around eventually. But the new place is definitely worth browsing, at least.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Frank wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:21 pm Until this place pulls its shit together, this might be worth checking out, Didy.

The forum is an offshoot of Queenzone. Members had finally had enough of that place and decided to start a new forum. I've only been there for a few days, but it seems well monitored and organized. Of course, I won't be leaving QOL. I enjoy many of the people here, and I'm sure things will come around eventually. But the new place is definitely worth browsing, at least.
I don’t really care about the re-organization of this forum, but I‘m curious, what you mean by „until this place pulls its shit together“? I mean, I don’t expect much to change with that re-organization. Do you? I don’t think there will be more people posting, which is the only thing, that helps, imo.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Nicki wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:56 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:21 pm Until this place pulls its shit together, this might be worth checking out, Didy.

I don’t really care about the re-organization of this forum, but I‘m curious, what you mean by „until this place pulls its shit together“? I mean, I don’t expect much to change with that re-organization. Do you? I don’t think there will be more people posting, which is the only thing, that helps, imo.
I mean when the higher ups return (those who are here have their hands tied) and the re-organization of the forum. I think the changes we proposed would be an improvement because, for example, certain topics would be noticed more if sorted differently. Others might not care, such as yourself, or agree. But that's where I stand, along with the majority of those who voted. And I mean no ill will toward our moderators who do frequent the forums. I realize they can't really do anything.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Frank wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:35 pm
I mean when the higher ups return (those who are here have their hands tied) and the re-organization of the forum. I think the changes we proposed would be an improvement because, for example, certain topics would be noticed more if sorted differently. Others might not care, such as yourself, or agree. But that's where I stand, along with the majority of those who voted. And I mean no ill will toward our moderators who do frequent the forums. I realize they can't really do anything.
We will see. I think there are different reasons, why the new forum you‘ve linked to has more than 3 times the members of this forum, although it’s a good deal younger.

Ian-Highlander
Technical Admin

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Innuendoes wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:27 am Speaking of the forum and this isn't a reorganization but I have noticed that there is difficulty in deleting messages from the PM boxes, both incoming and outgoing and people get an error message. So I looked that up last night just to see if there was anything on google. It took me to the phpBB admin boards and I found out what it is. It's that the forum cache needs to be deleted and only the admin who is the board Founder can do it. I take it that poses a problem since neither Ian or Nick are rarely online. This sounds like a very simple thing to do but only the Founder can do it. I'll go find the post and add it, here.

<snip>
Clearing the cache does not resolve this unfortunately, I'm looking into it now, there is a patch that can be applied which I am testing the viablity of. Leave this with me.

Ian-Highlander
Technical Admin

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Sir Didymus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:12 am
JLP wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 am
Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:58 am Any chance of an update on this? Appreciate lots might be going on keeping Nick busy - but if I can lend a hand in any way let me know. If you want to grant me temporary access, I'm more than happy to lock myself down for a day and move everything around if nobody else can do it! ;)
I don't have the permission from either Nick or Ian to change anything Didy. I have not heard from either since the early days of this new forum. So as it stands I guess things are staying as it is.
Cheers, JLP. Totally understand things are stuck... doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but simple matters like being able to go look at the topics around music/film etc without having to scroll past all the political nonsense would be hugely appreciated.
Whilst I have the "technical" permissions to make the changes, without Nicks say so, it can't happen. I have founder status purely because I built the forums and do the techy work on it. I only really came back to QOL to do the rebuild for Nick when we lost the old site, I spend almost no time on here at all these days, but people know how to contact me if I'm needed :)

Ian-Highlander
Technical Admin

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Ian-Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:20 am
Innuendoes wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:27 am Speaking of the forum and this isn't a reorganization but I have noticed that there is difficulty in deleting messages from the PM boxes, both incoming and outgoing and people get an error message. So I looked that up last night just to see if there was anything on google. It took me to the phpBB admin boards and I found out what it is. It's that the forum cache needs to be deleted and only the admin who is the board Founder can do it. I take it that poses a problem since neither Ian or Nick are rarely online. This sounds like a very simple thing to do but only the Founder can do it. I'll go find the post and add it, here.

<snip>
Clearing the cache does not resolve this unfortunately, I'm looking into it now, there is a patch that can be applied which I am testing the viablity of. Leave this with me.
I've updated the forum software to the latest version which includes the fix for this. You should be able to delete PMs now :)

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Post by Innuendoes »

Ian-Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:18 pm
Ian-Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:20 am

<snip>
I've updated the forum software to the latest version which includes the fix for this. You should be able to delete PMs now :)
Dear Ian,

You are brilliant, as always! I hope you realize how much we depend on you and so appreciate you for doing things for this forum including building it for all of us. If no one has told you lately, YOU ROCK! xxx