Dolphins, Horses and Na'vi

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Recycled dolphin story

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:05 am

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:Here's a question for eagle-eyed film-goers:

What one plot line in The Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is utterly ridiculous and doesn't make any sense even within the show's own pseudoscience?

dunno but a guess is the apes become super intellegent having had one dose of the super drug via aerosol?

Nah, I was happy to accept that. I mean you're right, it's ridiculous, but a super-potent virus with the magic intelligence genes...it at least made sense within the film's logic.

No, the bit I'm talking about is something Caesar could do that intelligence alone wouldn't be enough for, unless the virus also rapidly alters your anatomy.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 am

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:34 am

A very timely video on Derren Brown's website.

At first I thought it would just be about 'getting personal' (based on the title), but then it goes on to talk about the "an expert says" argument as well! Awesome!

All six videos there are good actually.

Elessar

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:Here's a question for eagle-eyed film-goers:

What one plot line in The Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is utterly ridiculous and doesn't make any sense even within the show's own pseudoscience?

dunno but a guess is the apes become super intellegent having had one dose of the super drug via aerosol?

Nah, I was happy to accept that. I mean you're right, it's ridiculous, but a super-potent virus with the magic intelligence genes...it at least made sense within the film's logic.

No, the bit I'm talking about is something Caesar could do that intelligence alone wouldn't be enough for, unless the virus also rapidly alters your anatomy.

the age thing? Wasn't the time cycle only about 8 years in the film?

Got me thinking now mate.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 pm

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:

He shouldn't be able to talk, as chimps don't have the right larynx. Neither did neanderthals, and that's possibly why homo sapiens out-competed them, because the ability to speak (and the associated higher intelligence) made it easier to hunt and invent things and pass on knowledge etc.

Elessar

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:

He shouldn't be able to talk, as chimps don't have the right larynx. Neither did neanderthals, and that's possibly why homo sapiens out-competed them, because the ability to speak (and the associated higher intelligence) made it easier to hunt and invent things and pass on knowledge etc.

Not so fast. The neanderthals have taken over this planet once again, all you need to do to see that is turn on the news!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby JLP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:22 pm

I read this story earlier. The pictures really have that aww factor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-hug.html
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:30 pm

JLP wrote:I read this story earlier. The pictures really have that aww factor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-hug.html

:lol:

Probably arguing over whether or not humans are non-ursine bears.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Speaking of bears:

(Just posting the picture, not making a diagnosis of any character, fictional or otherwise)

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am

Interesting article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/raci ... 76323.html

Difficult to argue with this, and I was as guilty of glorifying and humanising Kauto Star as anyone (see thread in The Game), and I daresay I'll do the same again if we ever see as good a horse in the future. Of course he had no idea that he'd won the King George Chase five times. I hope he enjoys a long retirement though (not that he'll know it's a retirement, or that it's long).

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 am

Although I'd disagree that the horses don't want to run. If they didn't want to, they wouldn't. They carry on running once their jockey has been unseated, often even jumping over the fences, so they clearly do 'enjoy' it in at least some level. And although the jockeys do have whips, the horses are also aware of the carrot as well as the stick, and are probably intelligent enough to learn that running quickly leads to good treatment.

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:29 am

Elessar wrote:Although I'd disagree that the horses don't want to run. If they didn't want to, they wouldn't. They carry on running once their jockey has been unseated, often even jumping over the fences, so they clearly do 'enjoy' it in at least some level. And although the jockeys do have whips, the horses are also aware of the carrot as well as the stick, and are probably intelligent enough to learn that running quickly leads to good treatment.

If you want to understand horses, watch a movie called Buck. Actually, it's a documentary. But watch Horse Whisperer first. Buck is a double for Redford in the difficult shots. Buck understands horses like no one else.

Innuendoes

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 am

Sometimes the horses dont jump the fences after they have unseated the jockeys.They are clever enough to figure that they cant be bothered so they run round the fence.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:Although I'd disagree that the horses don't want to run. If they didn't want to, they wouldn't. They carry on running once their jockey has been unseated, often even jumping over the fences, so they clearly do 'enjoy' it in at least some level. And although the jockeys do have whips, the horses are also aware of the carrot as well as the stick, and are probably intelligent enough to learn that running quickly leads to good treatment.

If you want to understand horses, watch a movie called Buck. Actually, it's a documentary. But watch Horse Whisperer first. Buck is a double for Redford in the difficult shots. Buck understands horses like no one else.

Well I've wasted my time! If I'd have known I could have just watched a film, I'd have never spent 15 years growing up with them...

Elessar

Postby fairydandy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 am

Elessar wrote:
Well I've wasted my time! If I'd have known I could have just watched a film, I'd have never spent 15 years growing up with them...

I grew up with dogs barking on our council estate. Didn't see a horse until I was about 12...on a school visit to London. Pah, we were real kids in those days. Horses! :roll: :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World