Greatest Hits

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Young Music Fan

Re: Greatest Hits

Post by Young Music Fan »

All vinyl albums were $15 in Walmart stores and now that to me sounds like a bargain!

Ray

Post by Ray »

Seems Vinyls are still very much in demand if such a sale can cause the album to go up the charts that much.

Kes

Post by Kes »

They've had a resurgence, as people get a bit bored with only getting an electronic file.

It's a much better experience looking at a 12" sleeve.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Greatest Hits has been spending more time in the UK top 10. 8 last week, 7 this week. And placed at number 8 for the whole of 2020.

It's now been in the album chart for 927 weeks so 1000 weeks is a genuine possibility for next year. Although looks like Abba's Gold will make it first as that album is on 975 weeks and is another perennial best seller (currently 22 in the charts and was 19 for all of 2020)

In the vinyl chart of 2020, Greatest Hits was 7. There's a lot more classic albums in the vinyl top 10, as you'd expect.

Cassette sales apparently doubled in 2020 and this is one area where Greatest Hits isn't represented! Queen have definitely been having a think about cassette lately with Live Around the World and the Bohemian Rhapsody soundtrack both getting cassette releases. Maybe we'll see Greatest Hits back on cassette at some point?! QAL's Live Around the World did come in at 30 in the 2020 cassette chart.

Speaking on QAL, You Are The Champions came in at 34 as the best selling vinyl singles of 2020.

But I digress. Another amazing year for Greatest Hits which will turn 40 later this year.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Cassettes may have doubled, but there's no need to release GH on it. They'll sell more GH CDs in two months than cassettes all year.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Sure, there's no need. Is there really a need to release any album on cassette in 2021? It's just a collectable novelty, really.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

It's now been in the album chart for 927 weeks so 1000 weeks is a genuine possibility for next year.
That’s absolutely impressive, really. week number 1000 might happen in 2022. Unfortunately there are only max 52 weeks per year. ;)

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

I would love a version of the greatest hits on cassette from over there. No lie, it's always been on my bucket list of Queen related products.

Kes

Post by Kes »

They're not particularly rare, or expensive.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

While it's certainly a niche market, there's definitely scope for a full set of Queen studio albums being reissued on cassette. I doubt I'd buy them myself, but they'd do enough business on them to justify it, I reckon!