nothing here

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: nothing here

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Yeah, I'll agree with the dishwater comment if all you drink is "disco piss", however, nowhere I've ever found on the continent has the slightest clue of the true concept of "real ale". The day I find a beer on the continent minus CO2, that actually doesn't make you shudder in sheer horror, is the day they will have finally been enlightened.

As I said, the Stella Cidre and Stella Pear Cidre, are really tasty soft drinks for a hot summer's day, but you need a little bit of imagination to call them "beers". They're like really good quality apple and pear drinks, with a tot of isopropanol alcohol thrown in.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Kes wrote:Yeah, I'll agree with the dishwater comment if all you drink is "disco piss", however, nowhere I've ever found on the continent has the slightest clue of the true concept of "real ale". The day I find a beer on the continent minus CO2, that actually doesn't make you shudder in sheer horror, is the day they will have finally been enlightened.

As I said, the Stella Cidre and Stella Pear Cidre, are really tasty soft drinks for a hot summer's day, but you need a little bit of imagination to call them "beers". They're like really good quality apple and pear drinks, with a tot of isopropanol alcohol thrown in.

I agree. A lot of those fruit ciders don't actually taste alcoholic at all. As for real ales, I am with you on that. Being a northerner though, I don't like ale that doesn't keep it's head. Probably the finest pint I had in recent times was in a bar on the harbour in St Ives. i ordered a pint of Tribute and it was the most perfect pint. I sank over half of it in one go. The barmaid smiled and asked if I had enjoyed it and started pulling me a second one.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm

If Hoegaarden is anything to go by :inlove:. I'm usually not one for beer, so my appreciation for this has taken me by surprise.
I feel like a traitor, it's Canada Day here, and I'm drinking Hoegaarden :lookround:.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby WeeMann » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 pm

JLP wrote:Probably the finest pint I had in recent times was in a bar on the harbour in St Ives. i ordered a pint of Tribute and it was the most perfect pint. I sank over half of it in one go. The barmaid smiled and asked if I had enjoyed it and started pulling me a second one.

This one?

St Ives
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm

I'd better explain what "real ale" is, because unless you live in the UK or Ireland, or have sought it out while you were over here, you've quite possibly never had it. I honestly can't say I've ever seen any beers similar to pump drawn ale in my travels.

Many years ago, before the advent of CO2 gas pumps, beer sat in a keg, and was physically pumped into the glass. These beers weren't gassy like virtually everything you can buy these days, via gas pumps, cans and bottles. "Real ale" is virtually still, and a good one slides straight down your neck. It should be the temperature of the cellar, and not artificially cooled.

It's also an acquired taste, as I couldn't abide the stuff until I was well into my thirties. Now, if I go into a pub and they haven't got any pump ale, I resign myself to having to lower my standards and have bottled or gas driven "disco piss".
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 am

My overseas pal told me nearly the same thing. Like I say, I'm not a beer drinker, I like coolers(alcopops?) much more. I was plesantly surprised by Hoegaarden, I wasn't sure at first.
Canada has some good beers, I love Labbats, oddly more from a bottle than a can. I miss east coast beers, to think it's easier to get Hoegaarden than Black Horse locally!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Nothing odd about preferring it from bottles than cans.

You go somewhere like Germany, and cans aren't very popular there, as I think they believe the alluminium taste kills the drink. Even stuff like coke is more popular in bottles than tins.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Clementine » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Kes wrote:You go somewhere like Germany, and cans aren't very popular there, as I think they believe the alluminium taste kills the drink. Even stuff like coke is more popular in bottles than tins.

The reason why we mostly have bottles is that some years ago the single deposit for cans was introduced. Hence the prices rose and we stopped buying them and went over to bottles instead. So cans almost died out over here. ;)
Meanwhile, I ask you to be my clementine
RIP Eva and Emma

Clementine
We Will Rock You

best bold bubbling beautiful bonkers briliant Beaver

Postby icy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Kes wrote:Nothing odd about preferring it from bottles than cans.

You go somewhere like Germany, and cans aren't very popular there, as I think they believe the alluminium taste kills the drink. Even stuff like coke is more popular in bottles than tins.

Cans are still popular here, but every bottle and can is taxed, even with and juice bottles.
I won't be going back to canned beer if I can help it, there is a big difference in taste, at least to me.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Cans and bottles are taxed, here, as well. The thing with bottles if they are plastic such as bottled water or soda is that you are drinking leached out petrolieum products if you drink that. I can definitey taste the difference in my Diet Pepsi if it comes from a bottle rather than a can. I can't stand the bottled soda but buy it if it's my only option, i.e. I am in a store, getting ready to leave and need somthing to drink. No cans in machines around here. The dogs. We could always get either back in Joplin.

Innuendoes

Postby Lino » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 pm

with beer, the glass bottle is the best, just like for wine, and here we use a lot of glass bottles. From the tin, I'd rather have it for soda, at least it can be melted back and reused, as for plastic it's the petroleum thing, but we then do our best by taking it to the plastic container. In Luxembourg, they have the recycling centre where people divide plastic into different containers, according to the type of plastic!!
I buy more wine than coke / juice so only here and there we have plastic bottles at home.

I remember that in Germany there was the money back for plastic bottles at the supermarket. My flatmate would fill the kitchen with them and cans, I even had to tell him to take it all away.

Beer... I felt in heaven when I was at those pubs in Brussels...
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 am

Lino wrote:with beer, the glass bottle is the best, just like for wine, and here we use a lot of glass bottles. From the tin, I'd rather have it for soda, at least it can be melted back and reused, as for plastic it's the petroleum thing, but we then do our best by taking it to the plastic container. In Luxembourg, they have the recycling centre where people divide plastic into different containers, according to the type of plastic!!
I buy more wine than coke / juice so only here and there we have plastic bottles at home.

I remember that in Germany there was the money back for plastic bottles at the supermarket. My flatmate would fill the kitchen with them and cans, I even had to tell him to take it all away.

Beer... I felt in heaven when I was at those pubs in Brussels...

We recycle plastic bottles, here, too but I do use them for other things such as hummingbird food that I make myself, etc. Now I've switched to a glass bottle which is a bit larger and healthier for the birds to boot.

We recyle all the aluminum cans and get maybe 5 cents back for each can. I have to rinse them all out as we use them, then drain in the sink and stack them until I have enough to fill a bag, then bag them and throw them out into the garage until we have enough built up to get a sizable amount at the grocery store where we recycle them. It's pretty good because we often get somewhere between 45 and 75 dollars each time we take them in which will practically buy a week's worth of food for what feels like free.

In Joplin, we recycled them too but to a recycling center where you just dump them all in huge bins and the guys that work in there wheel that container to a scale, weigh it and you get a stub to take to the counter to get your money. It seems like that was a better way as I think we got more in Missouri for aluminum than we do in Iowa plus in Missouri, we didn't have to pay a deposit per can.

I agree, beer in glass bottles, wine and any other liquor should never be in plastic bottles but beer is usually sold in cans in the stores.

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

In the UK, I think we like to recycle cans, and glass bottles, but you don't actually get anything for doing it, except maybe a feeling that you are doing your bit and aren't f*cking up the planet. In fact, there was probably a better deposit system when I was a kid, than there is now, as you always had to pay a deposit on soda/fizzy drink bottles (Corona and Barrs probably being the most popular brands nationally), which you got back when you returned the empty to the store. These days you buy a two litre plastic bottle of Coca Cola from a major supermarket, nobody seems to care at all what happens to the bottle.

Beer? Either from a pump in a bar, or in glass bottles, please. Not really keen on plastic bottles, but I probably prefer those to aluminium cans. Given my chosen trade, I think I've had enough exposure to alluminium residues to last me about three dozen lifetimes.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm

From the Illuminati to plastic bottles in less than three pages. Only on QOL.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 pm

JLP wrote:From the Illuminati to plastic bottles in less than three pages. Only on QOL.

:lookround: Don't you love this place sometimes :-P
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy