WWRY 10th Anniversary 'WORLD ARENA TOUR' 2013

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

WWRY 10th Anniversary 'WORLD ARENA TOUR' 2013

Postby andrewjb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 am

PRESS RELEASE:
QUEEN AND BEN ELTON’S ‘WE WILL ROCK YOU’ ANNOUNCES 10th ANNIVERSARY WORLD ARENA TOUR

World arena tour kicks off in early 2013, while the record-breaking run at London’s Dominion Theatre continues

Following the triumphant 2010 and 2011 UK theatre tours, the smash hit Queen and Ben Elton musical, ‘We Will Rock You’ announces the show will embark on its first ever world arena tour. With 24 of Queen’s biggest hits delivered in a show that boasts the scale and spectacle that marked the band's legendary live performances, this will be one of the most spectacular musicals to tour the world.

Unprecedented success in theatres around the world has paved the way for ‘We Will Rock You’ to make the step into arenas, where the Rock Theatrical will be performed in front of thousands of rock fans every night. The world tour will see the show visit arenas in Finland, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Turkey, Bulgaria and the UK and Ireland in 2013. Further dates in Japan, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia will be announced shortly.

The multi million pound production will be heading to the Nottingham Trent Arena for it’s first stop in the UK on 27th March 2013 and on to Dublin on 4th April, before rocking around Europe and returning to the UK in May and June for dates at the Sheffield Motor Point Arena, the newly developed Leeds Arena, the Belfast Odyssey and the Newcastle Metro Arena. UK and Dublin tickets go on sale in Autumn 2012.

On announcing the Arena tour, Queen’s Brian May said: “After our first 10 years in Rock Theatricality, this is the next giant step for WWRY - and the show will feature a brand new arena-size design - a big night out for all!”

The last WWRY UK tour visited six cities across 13 months. The tour sold over half a million tickets, setting and smashing box office records and was crowned the UK’s favourite show at the prestigious Olivier awards. The London production of the show has just celebrated its 10th birthday and it is the longest running musical ever staged at the West End’s Dominion Theatre, booking until October 2012. The show has thrilled over seven million people in the UK, and close on 15 million people in 17 countries worldwide.

The production is directed by Ben Elton, with Queen’s Brian May and Roger Taylor as music supervisors, Arlene Phillips oversees the musical staging and choreography.

Writer Ben Elton has fashioned a hilarious futuristic comedy around more than 24 of Queen’s biggest hit songs delivered in a show that boasts the scale and spectacle that marked Queen’s live performances.

“This show is all about legend,” says Ben Elton. “We take the legend of Queen and create our own fantastical story of young kids battling the might corporations who want to suppress their individuality and their love of music. They need a hero who can help them in their struggle, and we have two – the dreamer Galileo and the sassy rock chick, Scaramouche. Guess who ends up winning?”

Brian May adds: “The amazing bonus is that Ben's script subtly works as a metaphor too. People definitely come out of the theatre feeling that in a strange way they now know us, Queen, and our struggle, our journey.”

Says producer Phil McIntyre: “We are looking forward to taking this true Rock Theatrical out on the road again. We had standing ovations night after night around the UK last time and we can’t wait to see that happen again.”

The touring production reaches worldwide arenas carrying with it an impressive legacy: when it first became news that one of Britain’s most phenomenally successful comedy writers, Ben Elton, was teaming up with legends of rock, Queen, for a musical there was much speculation on what such a unique collaboration would turn out. So impressed after attending the original workshop, screen icon Robert De Niro and his company Tribeca came on board as American partners. De Niro continues to support the show, even making a special visit to London in May this year to help celebrate the 10th anniversary in style. The audience erupted with thunderous applause, as he joined the cast on stage after the landmark performance.

‘ONE DREAM, ONE VISION, ONE SMASH HIT!’
We Will Rock You World Arena Tour 2013

27 - 30 March Nottingham Trent FM Arena - 0844 412 4624
(Wednesday 27th at 7.30pm, Thursday 28th at 7.30pm, Friday 29th at 7.30pm, Saturday 30th at 2.30pm & 7.30pm)

4 – 6 April - Dublin 02 Arena - 0818 719 377
(Thursday 4th at 7.30pm, Friday 5th at 7.30pm, Saturday 6th at 2.30pm & 7.30pm)

30 May – 2 June Sheffield Motorpoint Arena - 0114 256 5656
(Thursday 30th at 7.30pm, Friday 31st at 7.30pm, Saturday 1st at 2.30pm & 7.30pm, Sunday 2.30pm)

5 – 9 June Leeds Arena Phone No TBC
(Wednesday 5th at 7.30pm, Thursday 6th at 7.30pm, Friday 7th at 7.30pm, Saturday 8th at 2.30pm & 7.30pm, Sunday 9th at 2.30pm)

12 – 15 June Belfast Odyssey Arena - 028 9073 9074
(Wednesday 12th at 7.30pm, Thursday 13th at 7.30pm, Friday 14th at 7.30pm, Saturday 15th at 2.30pm & 7.30pm)

18 – 22 June Newcastle Metro Arena - 0844 493 6666
(Tuesday 18th at 7.30pm, Wednesday 19th at 7.30pm, Thursday 20th at 7.30pm, Friday 21 June at 7.30pm, Saturday 22nd at 2.30pm & 7.30pm)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE - http://www.wewillrockyou.co.uk/tour

© brianmay.com

andrewjb
Spread Your Wings

Re: WWRY 10th Anniversary 'WORLD ARENA TOUR' 2013

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:19 am

Is it possible the World Tour could come to the US? Please?

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Lets meet up! Nottingham?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby BitterTears » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Haha...what an absolute monster WWRY is! Absolutely love it. Who would have thought it 10 years ago?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby QueenForaDay » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

This I want to see. I did end up seeing QE in Boston. It was enjoyable enough. I saw Brian and Rog + AL in London and thoroughly enjoyed that. I will be looking forward to WWRY tour.
A troll by any other name is still a troll - Daniel Anton Zaninovich, CA

QueenForaDay
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Anyone fancy a meet up abroad next year?

The world tour will see the show visit arenas in Finland, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Turkey, Bulgaria and the UK and Ireland in 2013

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby mikespit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 am

fairydandy wrote:Anyone fancy a meet up abroad next year?

The world tour will see the show visit arenas in Finland, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Turkey, Bulgaria and the UK and Ireland in 2013

About time you came down under FD (you and Loretta can shack up with his sister!)

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Loretta » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 am

mikespit wrote:

About time you came down under FD (you and Loretta can shack up with his sister!)

:lol:

Only two small flaws in that plan....
I can't stand WWRY (at least not enough to have to pay to see it, let alone abroad), and it's not going to diggerland.

My sis will probably find several more flaws in the plan, but you'll have to speak to her. And take her on a date, she needs a good man. :cool:

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:14 am

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby abigail12 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

As a newbie...Is there a general thread about WWRY? Is the tour considered better than the WE version (for those who live near London) or vice-versa?

I saw it a couple of years ago in London. As a big fan of Queen and, living in the Land of Ignoramus as I was, I expected a rock musical with a good story-line and fantastic Queen numbers sung well. I was, I suppose, expecting JC Superstar (without the religion)- if you see what I mean :P

Instead I got a weak to non-existent story-line and an assault on my ears and eyes. :shock:

However! I was chatting about it to my colleague today who is a WWRY fan and I think part of my disappointment was because I was expecting something different. Now I know what to expect, I can just go in and have fun without analysing too much. So..Do I take a chance and see it again..or not? Hmmm.. :?

abigail12
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:02 pm

The tour is definitely the little brother compared to the Dominion version. The sets are smaller and less elaborate and the cast, while always great, you would have to say are the B-team compared to the London cast.

Having said all that, it seems like this arena tour is going to a a bigger production than the theatre tour to it remains to be seen exactly what we're going to get.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby magicshoes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

soxtalon wrote:Is it possible the World Tour could come to the US? Please?

That's what I'm sayin! world tour means you come to the U.S. too!!

I'd travel to anywhere in the U.S. to see this show so I hope they make it over here.
My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies

magicshoes
The Show Must Go On

Postby bigV » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 am

I'll finally get to see it! :onfire:

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby BulgariaLovesQueen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm

BULGARIA! Finally! :D :rockon:
Hey, ya folks! It's Marie Rock! :)
My ''Brian May Is Our Inspiration'' fan page- http://www.facebook.com/#!/BrianMayIsOurInspiration...And my site for Brian-https://sites.google.com/site/brianmayis...

BulgariaLovesQueen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Balck Qu♥♥n » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 am

BulgariaLovesQueen wrote:BULGARIA! Finally! :D :rockon:

That's awesome! I'm very happy it's touring in BG (and around the world!)!! I'm lucky enough to live in the UK and not miss out on stuff like that, but being Bulgarian myself I imagine it can be very frustrating for fans over there! That's great news :) :)
Pull yourself together 'cause you know you should do better...

Balck Qu♥♥n
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to We Will Rock You