Who are you?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Who are you?

Postby Delilah » Thu May 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Yeah play a record backwards and it says whatever the record says forwards, backwards, so unless any of the sumbliminally messaging rock bands of the 70s/80s were very, very clever, it's unlikely there were any messages in their backwards records. It makes sense though, I mean what was whoever started that smoking to have decided to play a record backwards?

Ha ha, my church Youth Group teacher gave us that rock 'n roll is Satan's music presentation when I was a kid. I remember very clearly thinking "Man, Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin ROCK. I guess as long as I don't play the records backwards, I can buy them with my allowance money. I mean, you can't hear the bad stuff when you play it forwards, so what's the big deal? Are there really a bunch of idiots who play their records backwards?" Yes, the Satanic music lesson taught me that Ozzy kicks ass and that Kasmir is one of the best songs ever written. And that my teacher was a moron. :P Ahh, the fundie days.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Elessar » Thu May 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Yeah play a record backwards and it says whatever the record says forwards, backwards, so unless any of the sumbliminally messaging rock bands of the 70s/80s were very, very clever, it's unlikely there were any messages in their backwards records. It makes sense though, I mean what was whoever started that smoking to have decided to play a record backwards?

But isn't the Universe just everything? If the Universe has limits, then what's beyond it, because surely if there was absolutely nothing, then even that nothingness would be part of the Universe. The only way "the Universe" can be infinitely expanding, (in my mind :P ) is if what that actually means is that all the matter in the universe is expanding outwards into more Universe.

But most of the universe is nothingness, and indeed most of the volume of an atom is nothingness. The universe expanding just means (I think) that everything's getting further away from everything else. The space in between is just nothingness.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Right, so the universe itself, including all of the nothingness, being limitless, is not actually expanding, just the stuff within it is moving away from everything else.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Elessar » Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Right, so the universe itself, including all of the nothingness, being limitless, is not actually expanding, just the stuff within it is moving away from everything else.

I think so. Maybe.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Delilah wrote:

Ha ha, my church Youth Group teacher gave us that rock 'n roll is Satan's music presentation when I was a kid. I remember very clearly thinking "Man, Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin ROCK. I guess as long as I don't play the records backwards, I can buy them with my allowance money. I mean, you can't hear the bad stuff when you play it forwards, so what's the big deal? Are there really a bunch of idiots who play their records backwards?" Yes, the Satanic music lesson taught me that Ozzy kicks ass and that Kasmir is one of the best songs ever written. And that my teacher was a moron. :P Ahh, the fundie days.

I wonder if you play Christian Rock backwards does it sing my sweet Jesus or it's a sin smoke marujuana...? I'd be impressed if it did.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Elessar wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:Right, so the universe itself, including all of the nothingness, being limitless, is not actually expanding, just the stuff within it is moving away from everything else.

I think so. Maybe.

That makes more sense.

Then you get on to Stephen Hawking's claim that the Universe might be "saddle shaped"...Ever suspect he's testing how bizzarre a claim he could make before someone thinks to question him? :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
I wonder if you play Christian Rock backwards does it sing my sweet Jesus or it's a sin smoke marujuana...? I'd be impressed if it did.

Backwards... God becomes a dog, and the devil lived. Hmmmph!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby y2marmar » Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I think so. Maybe.

That makes more sense.

Then you get on to Stephen Hawking's claim that the Universe might be "saddle shaped"...Ever suspect he's testing how bizzarre a claim he could make before someone thinks to question him? :P

Lol I've actually wondered that before!
See me, feel me, touch me, heal me...

y2marmar
We Will Rock You

Postby Delilah » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:

I dunno, I can't even recommend playing Christian rock forwards. Christian rap is even more hilarious. :mrgreen:

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 pm

I quite love Christian rock. Have you heard of "Delirious?"...? They split up this year but they were amazing. :mrgreen:

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Delilah » Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:I quite love Christian rock. Have you heard of "Delirious?"...? They split up this year but they were amazing. :mrgreen:

Oh no no no...I used to sell the stuff in a Christian bookstore. A full half of it was so bad that it made me giggle. The rest was a bunch of posers trying to imitate whatever bands were in vogue at that time. Delirious must be a new thing. I do hope that they're better than the older ones. :P

I want my Jesus singers to be black gospel singers. I can listen to gospel all day long.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 pm

They're supposed to be the "most influential worship band of all time"...I don't know if that's musically influential to other faith-rock, or as in they converted loads of people. :lol: (It's "Delirious?" ...as in with a question mark. I'm not sure why. :P )

Oh yes, gospel is brilliant.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby y2marmar » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 pm

I love gospel music. Christian rock...I can take it or leave it. I've heard a little of Delirious? THey're okay actually
See me, feel me, touch me, heal me...

y2marmar
We Will Rock You

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 pm

The question mark is quite funny. I'm just listening to some Delirious? now...I have to admire that they could clearly have been a great, non-Christian ballady rock band.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Thu May 20, 2010 11:22 pm

I heard about an agnostic, insomniac dyslexic bloke who laid awake all night wondering if there was a dog.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World