New rule suggestion

Want to moan about the forums, here's where to do it
Lord of all darkness

New rule suggestion

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Team,

I am not sure that this is already a rule, but can we get the Admin and Mods to delete video's and links to Conspiracy Theorists whether they are extreme left or right?

A couple of days ago A user posted a clip of a real person being shot. After I requested that she take it down, she totally complied. Which of course was a good thing. My concern is that we do have very young impressionable Queen fans that may be perusing this site. It would be good if we could protect them from bullshite and offensive video's. I would also request that repeat offenders are suspended or banned?

WeeMann

Re: New rule suggestion

Post by WeeMann »

This is something we've discussed at great length. Obviously, had one of us seen the video before you, we would have deleted the post. Things like that simply aren't acceptable on a board like this one.

As regards conspiracy theories, extreme views, etc, we have to be careful. Again, if there's anything harmful, offensive, etc, this is already covered and we do remove them and take any action we deem necessary with the poster. Posts that offer dangerous advice on Covid 19, for instance, will be deleted (and, indeed, have been).

We do have to be careful, though. One thing we pride ourselves on is not censoring people beyond what is necessary to keep this board a warm and welcoming place. The Another World forum and particularly the various news threads are a little more open in what we allow to be posted, but we do keep a very close eye on what is being posted.

One thing we have to be particularly careful of is deleting posts because we feel they are untrue - who are we to say that Kennedy wasn't assassinated by a short green alien standing on the grassy knoll? What we can do is comment and debate as best we can.

In summary, we feel the current rules cover the situation adequately and we are keeping a close eye on things.

Lord of all darkness

WeeMann wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 pm This is something we've discussed at great length. Obviously, had one of us seen the video before you, we would have deleted the post. Things like that simply aren't acceptable on a board like this one.

As regards conspiracy theories, extreme views, etc, we have to be careful. Again, if there's anything harmful, offensive, etc, this is already covered and we do remove them and take any action we deem necessary with the poster. Posts that offer dangerous advice on Covid 19, for instance, will be deleted (and, indeed, have been).

We do have to be careful, though. One thing we pride ourselves on is not censoring people beyond what is necessary to keep this board a warm and welcoming place. The Another World forum and particularly the various news threads are a little more open in what we allow to be posted, but we do keep a very close eye on what is being posted.

One thing we have to be particularly careful of is deleting posts because we feel they are untrue - who are we to say that Kennedy wasn't assassinated by a short green alien standing on the grassy knoll? What we can do is comment and debate as best we can.
hanks Wee
In summary, we feel the current rules cover the situation adequately and we are keeping a close eye on things.
Thanks WeeMann. To her credit she removed it, so I don't have too much of an issue that it will be done again.

I know you guys are walking a fine line with censorship. So I will leave it with you.

Lord of all darkness

Lord of all darkness wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 am
WeeMann wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 pm This is something we've discussed at great length. Obviously, had one of us seen the video before you, we would have deleted the post. Things like that simply aren't acceptable on a board like this one.

hanks Wee
Thanks WeeMann. To her credit she removed it, so I don't have too much of an issue that it will be done again.

I know you guys are walking a fine line with censorship. So I will leave it with you.
Can we at least block extreme political youtube channels such as OAN and the Right Side which are propaganda sites?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

That's a question for Ian, I have no idea whether that's even possible.

Lord of all darkness

WeeMann wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:02 am That's a question for Ian, I have no idea whether that's even possible.
Haha, take it from someone that works in IT, anything is possible.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's a bit tricky because the people on the right, see their beliefs as normal. Personally, I'd have a problem with extremist views, whichever side they come from.

Lord of all darkness

Kes wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:54 pm It's a bit tricky because the people on the right, see their beliefs as normal. Personally, I'd have a problem with extremist views, whichever side they come from.
Me too. I don't subscribe to any left or right wing news sites. I certainly wouldn't post them on here.