Something has happened to this forum

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby Elessar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am

They're hugely popular with millions of people, but they're probably a band that lots of people like, but wouldn't name as their favourite band. That's why Beatles message boards are far more active than this one, I think.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby Ace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Champs wrote:
Ace wrote:And one thing I never did get the answer to. Who was Flashman?

Do you never tire of self promotion? :sleepy:


Whereas (as you say) I don't tire of self promotion I can honestly swear that Flashman was never me.
 
Ace
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Tired !!!!!!!!

      
 
Posts: 244
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am
Location: UK
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby Ace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm

mikespit wrote:
Ian-Highlander wrote:Regardless of OUR opinions of the band we know as Queen, you have to face up to the fact that as an active band it's not really existed since 1991. Ok so the "Queen"+PR project was great and got some more interest going and a few people liked the Adam Lambert thing recently but that was never going anywhere big.

The simple fact of the matter is that Queen's fanbase is getting older and older and less and less younger people are interested in them. These days a lot of youngsters have never even heard of Queen and that overall interest in them as anymore than a historic legend is getting rarer.



I'm not sure if I agree with this. I personally think Queen are still hugely popular even more so - I don't think interest in them is waining. I think Facebook has probably taken over as the "forum of choice" - the official Queen Facebook page has over 16 Million "Likes" and is very active - and is probably more convenient given the number of people of Facebook. It is probably more of an indicator of the level of interest than this message board. Not many queen fans know this board exists - a bit more promotion via Facebook is required on a regular basis, non just once a year (this has proven to work - I remember a single reference a couple of years back resulted in a huge influx of fans to this board).



I agree with you Mike. Given that there is a huge database of emails attached to QOL I'm surprised that no-one uses these to try and get people to post on the forum. If more people post, more come to read whats posted and the momentum grows.

From a marketing perspective it would make sense.
 
Ace
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Tired !!!!!!!!

      
 
Posts: 244
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am
Location: UK
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby WeeMann » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Ace wrote:
Champs wrote:
Ace wrote:And one thing I never did get the answer to. Who was Flashman?

Do you never tire of self promotion? :sleepy:


Whereas (as you say) I don't tire of self promotion I can honestly swear that Flashman was never me.


I can certainly confirm that is the case.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6472
Images: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby Elessar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

I've met them both! However, they were not in the same room together. Hmm.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby julymorning » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

mikespit wrote:
Ian-Highlander wrote:Regardless of OUR opinions of the band we know as Queen, you have to face up to the fact that as an active band it's not really existed since 1991. Ok so the "Queen"+PR project was great and got some more interest going and a few people liked the Adam Lambert thing recently but that was never going anywhere big.

The simple fact of the matter is that Queen's fanbase is getting older and older and less and less younger people are interested in them. These days a lot of youngsters have never even heard of Queen and that overall interest in them as anymore than a historic legend is getting rarer.



I'm not sure if I agree with this. I personally think Queen are still hugely popular even more so - I don't think interest in them is waining. I think Facebook has probably taken over as the "forum of choice" - the official Queen Facebook page has over 16 Million "Likes" and is very active - and is probably more convenient given the number of people of Facebook. It is probably more of an indicator of the level of interest than this message board. Not many queen fans know this board exists - a bit more promotion via Facebook is required on a regular basis, non just once a year (this has proven to work - I remember a single reference a couple of years back resulted in a huge influx of fans to this board).



Facebook is exactly where I found out about this discussion board.

As far as the age of Queen's fanbase, I can't agree with the fact that less and less younger people are interested in them.

In spite of what some here and other places think about The Queen Extravaganza, this 'project' of Roger's is lighting an excitement for Queen and their music across all generations.

I think you'd be surprised if you have any Queen or related Queen material on youtube that's achieved enough views to be approaching viral. Youtube's video manager kicks in and has a demographic breakdown of who's been viewing. :shock:

Anyway, there definately needs to be links to this place in appropriate places. Brian's site has a link to QOL, but that's all the link says. There's nothing there about a discussion board.

I joined the newsgroup link on his page long ago because I thought it was a discussion board of sorts, which it isn't at all these days. Jen sends out the news and that's pretty much it.

I hope things may pick up here again once the Winter season gets on and folks will be inside more.
And if they do come, I hope they feel welcome.

And that they're not argumentive trolls. *Refraining from the eye-rolling smilie so that my eyes don't freeze in the back of my head*

:lol: Some other discussion boards I've been on! SMH.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1689
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby julymorning » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm



:lol:
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1689
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Previous

Return to Fried Chicken

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests