Ticket-bastard.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Ticket-bastard.

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am

I've just found out that in Ticketbastard's latest war against touts, that they're taking them on head-on.

They've come up with a concept called "Platinum" tickets, where any seats where you don't need oxygen or binoculars or both, in a 20,000 seater venue like the O2, they sell £36 tickets at £400.

Unfortunately, the touts have still managed to get their tickets from corporate sellers at £36, and just see that they can now charge even more than they did before for them.

We've just spent three days using two computers going through two lots of pre-sale, and then general sale, and the best we were offered were nosebleed seats right at the back on any of the 500 or so occasions we got through to the booking page. And this was for an artist who doesn't even get top 20 albums over here!

So anybody you want to see at the O2, expect to be either at the back, or bankrupt.

Frustrated at a bunch of greedy c*nts, isn't summing up my feelings at the moment.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Re: Ticket-bastard.

Postby Bri » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm

It's mad isn't it?

We just ordered two tickets for Les Mis for the wife's birthday and they have added £20 per ticket for "admin!"
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Kes wrote:I've just found out that in Ticketbastard's latest war against touts, that they're taking them on head-on.

They've come up with a concept called "Platinum" tickets, where any seats where you don't need oxygen or binoculars or both, in a 20,000 seater venue like the O2, they sell £36 tickets at £400.

Unfortunately, the touts have still managed to get their tickets from corporate sellers at £36, and just see that they can now charge even more than they did before for them.

We've just spent three days using two computers going through two lots of pre-sale, and then general sale, and the best we were offered were nosebleed seats right at the back on any of the 500 or so occasions we got through to the booking page. And this was for an artist who doesn't even get top 20 albums over here!

So anybody you want to see at the O2, expect to be either at the back, or bankrupt.

Frustrated at a bunch of greedy c*nts, isn't summing up my feelings at the moment.

surely that is illegal? Is there no one you can complain to? Or maybe go to the press as i seem to recall a investigative programme of this sort of practice.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Bri wrote:It's mad isn't it?

We just ordered two tickets for Les Mis for the wife's birthday and they have added £20 per ticket for "admin!"

You'll have a great night though!

Elessar

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

I hate them. We bought tickets for Thunder's show at Christmas. face value was £30 but there was a service charge and then they charge over a fiver for postage and that is not even recorded delivery.That took the price to over £37 each. Like Kes says, c*nts.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 pm

I'll never forget the first time I got tickets to see Queen.

The days before the Internet, and when you couldn't even buy tickets for Wembley AT Wembley. There was this box office in London called Keith Prowse. It was the only place doing tickets when they went on sale, for the three gigs Queen were doing at the Empire Pool in Spring '78. Well, we arrived there at about ten o'clock the previous evening, and joined the queue. Tickets went on sale at about nine the following morning. 7th or 8th in the queue, no-one else's selling them, got to be at least in with a chance of front row, surely?

Two thirds of the way back, we were! I queued all f***ing night, FFS. Who the f*** were all the people at Wembley in front of me, and how the f*** did they manage to get better seats?

I can honestly say I've never trusted the way these f*ckers do business since. The only chance you ever have of being near the front at gigs, is to get general standing tickets, and get to the gig early, or if it's all seated, buy a set of inflated priced seats on e-bay. Pre-sales seem to just sell off the shite they think won't shift in the general sale.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 pm

I sent off a postal order in 1978 to try and get a ticket to see Queen at Bingley Hall Stafford. cost me £3.50.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:06 pm

I rescind on an earlier statement. We usually associate a degree of satisfaction when we interact with c*nts, but you don't get any feeling with these ones!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Funny that.

When I first started going to concerts, a ticket to see a big band like Queen, was either less than, or about the same as the cost of an album.

Just goes to show how much concert tickets have gone up, where album prices haven't really moved that much in FORTY years.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby julymorning » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Kes wrote:Funny that.

When I first started going to concerts, a ticket to see a big band like Queen, was either less than, or about the same as the cost of an album.

Just goes to show how much concert tickets have gone up, where album prices haven't really moved that much in FORTY years.

Yes, I remember my first Queen concert was $3.50 here in the States, and 7 or $8.50 for my last one in '80.

But I think I read somewhere(here? IDK) that back in those days radio stations pretty much subsidized concerts in their own cities, promoting themselves for a greater listening audience than for record sales. A win/win situation for everyone.

For whatever economic reason the Bands/artist are on their own now.

When I see what it takes and the amount of payroll people to put on a concert or tour now, inflation hits everything.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. It would be interesting to see a dollar for dollar breakdown, wouldn't it?

ETA: I cannot find anything on the internet to substantiate what I thought I read, soooooo.....let it remain that as long as peeps are willing to pay the prices, ticket prices will stay up, and increase.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Kes » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 am

On the other side of the coin, you have recorded music.

In 1986, it was about £15 for a chart CD, and about £10 for the same on a vinyl album.

27 years later, a chart CD is about £10 (75%), and about £20 for a vinyl (200%).

I can't think of ANYTHING else that costs less today than it did in 1986.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 am

Kes wrote:On the other side of the coin, you have recorded music.

In 1986, it was about £15 for a chart CD, and about £10 for the same on a vinyl album.

27 years later, a chart CD is about £10 (75%), and about £20 for a vinyl (200%).

I can't think of ANYTHING else that costs less today than it did in 1986.

Yeah you are probably right. I remember when video recorders first came out. They cost an arm and both legs yet before their demise, you could get one for about £40.

Maybe a CD player would be cheaper now. At least at the bottom end of the range than in 1986.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:40 am

My first CD player was about £200. Nothing special, CD goes in the front, two hifi leads coming out the back.

I could pop down Richer Sounds and get a bloody 3D blu-ray player for under £100, and that will play anything from CDs to an external hard drive full of music and movies.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bluerhap » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 pm

JLP wrote:I sent off a postal order in 1978 to try and get a ticket to see Queen at Bingley Hall Stafford. cost me £3.50.

Ah the good old days. life was simple then.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bri » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Elessar wrote:
Bri wrote:It's mad isn't it?

You'll have a great night though!

Thanks! Should do at that bloody price! Have been many times before so looking forward to it again
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Next

Return to Views Of The World