UKIP

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

UKIP

Postby fairydandy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, yesterday was a huge day in British politics. UKIP's success was there for all to see, but is it a protest, or the beginning of the end for us as 'Europeans'?

Personally, I have never seen myself as a European...(but I'm still not sure that coming out is the right thing for us to do, or perhaps it is, I just don't know). I do think that if there is a referendum we will come out though.

How do other Europeans feel about this on the board? Is there such an anti-European feeling in your country?

Also, I would vote to leave the human rights act if there was a referendum, that's for certain! It's coming to something when a country can't get rid of a terrorist because he might get tortured in his own country. I seriously couldn't care less what they did with him. #don'tgiveafuck

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Re: UKIP

Postby Markholland » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 am

fairydandy wrote:How do other Europeans feel about this on the board? Is there such an anti-European feeling in your country?

Here in the Netherlands there is. I've also understood that in most countries the EU isn't that popular and that most people don't agree with its actions.
Personally I see it as a insane institution that only exists for itself and its undemocratic chosen leaders. They only want more, more power, more money. If you look at the way critical reporters are being treated, how policies are being pushed through, or how they see people that aren't overly fond of the EU, you start to think that if a dictator wanted to gain power without starting a war this would be how he would go to work.

Markholland

Postby Kes » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

I think the results at the polls is more to do with people being pissed off at the major three parties. Being pissed off at it only ever being a 50/50 chance of hearing English being spoken when they're out and about these days, anywhere in the UK. Being pissed off that we've always chipped more into the EU, than we've ever got out of it. There's probably a few other issues including supporting countries that don't seem to want to support themselves, and would rather sponge off the Germans. And on that issue, do you not wonder why Germany is doing all right when everyone else is in the clag? I think the clue is that it's got something to do with being the people lending money, instead of borrowing it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm

here, a major conversation is going back to the portuguese Escudo as a way to control our currency.
We entered the Euro (which I favoured because of it made traveling easier without having to exchange currency all the time, as I did once on the way to Italy - Lira was confusing as heck - in 2001).
Some say it's as equal as falling into a hole, others say it would be good in the long term...

There's a lot of anti-Germany conversations because of Schlampe Merkel and Arschloch Schäuble wanting to impose heavy austerity on us. Hundreds of thousands have emmigrated, in a mass that is comparable to our emmigration wave of the 60s. I've seen family and friends go out, precarious labour is the one we can still find and people get only 500-600€ of wage (after tax) per month, which is hard. There have been big and sometimes violent or emotional protests and government behave as if it were an autistic child.

And Europe dictates on us. I support EU in its youth programs, in the possibility to travel, and its history in making peace in Europe. But when I heard that it would get the Nobel Prize for Peace I thought "Nobel for an EU that is promoting violence and violation of basic rights such as those of protest and speech is so hypocritical".
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I think one of the main reasons we never joined the single currency, was the rate we were being offered to jump on board at. Saying that, I don't know any nation that was happy with that aspect. Even German friends I know said that their spending power dropped literally overnight.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 am

And prices went double or even more than double. Before 2002, an espresso coffee would cost the equivalent to some 20-25 cents, now it's around 60-65 cents. And it happened everywhere, even in the more recent Euro countries. Problem is: prices went up, wages didn't.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby queenb1656 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I couldn't give a stuff about europe, england needs to sort itself out before worrying about helping others.

Charity begins at home + all that...

queenb1656
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm

The problem you've got if we leave Europe, then we could price ourselves out of the market on exports into Europe, because where as the EU promotes free trade, the local governments can tax the arse out of imports coming in from outside the EU.

Great, if you produce perishables like potatoes or milk, where nearly all of what you sell is in the UK, not so good if a lot of your produce goes across the channel. Also, the stuff we buy in from France, Germany and Spain, can have import tax bung on that by our government, and we have to pay more for it.

Getting out, isn't as easy as we might think.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Sun May 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Even harder is the escape from the Euro.
And with new names being spoken on a next Euro. Commission, I bet it's continuing to have the same scum.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Brianna May-Taylor » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Not sure I think people are fed up of the main three, but if UKIP does right by the votors I think they could become a major force in UK politics!!!

Brianna May-Taylor
Spread Your Wings

Return to Views Of The World