Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google... Pillars of Evil?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google... Pillars of Evil?

Postby icy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Simon wrote:
icy wrote:
Simon wrote:Luckily enough I did not have to deal with a situation in which a friend or family member of mine active on Facebook has died. However, I can somehow fathom how awkward it could be if people still write on their "wall" or whatever Facebook calls it, maybe make innocent jokes like "if you keep on being quiet, I presume you're dead" etc.
You are not seriously suggesting that people should disclose their password (in any case, I don't want people to have access to my accounts in which I write and receive mails. They have basically taken over the function of letters and some stuff on this is private. I would feel uneasy about that. You are merely insinuating that it is not really that important if a Facebook account is still active after someone has died. In that case, I disagree. It might lead to unneccessary awkward situations. Also: Deleting your account while you are still alive might almost be more annoying than sending th certificates. Last time I checked I did not find the possibility to delete my account and gave up after five minutes.
I still don't quite agree with your comparisions. For private users, Facebook is fun, it's entertainment, it's a pastime and it's free (apart from disclosing information about yourself: you're the product, as someone has stated above), it is laughable (loud or not) that this site wants official documents to delete the account. It is a different situation with websites where money is involved or other official, serious stuff like bank accounts, insurances etc.

I've lost a dear facebook friend in recent months. Her FB is still on the go, and active, her family keeps it going, people still write on her wall, her family would like it kept as sort of a tribute.
If I knew I were dying in the near future, I'd delete my FB, other things beforehand. I gave it much thought to be honest...and I still do.

Indeed it is possible to keep a profile running as a tribute... with gray background etc. Facebook changes the setting if you ask them to do it. For THAT, they don't need a death certificate, merely a photograph from an obituary... (That's what the newspaper article said anyway.)

I have never see a gray one. I do know the norm is to make a group or a page in remembering people who have passed on. I've made a few groups myself. That said, it is better as a group, more (!) privacy it seems.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:16 am

I really don't think anyone can change the background color on a Facebook page. :?

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 am

It's predominantly blue because Mark Zuckerberg is colour blind. I have utmost sympathy for him.

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 am

Mine is white with pale blue accents and I despise that light blue. *vomits*

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:15 pm

10% of the male population are ignored by a society where red and green feature prominently. People who can see all colours should man up and cater for those who struggle with red/green.

(The same is of course true for left handed people)

Elessar

Postby Simon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Isn't it more like that no person can see ALL colours as the human eye can only see a fraction of the whole range of colours that the world actually offers? That's pretty close to philosophy...
Anyway, I might recheck the newspaper article. But I remember that "Facebook" is changing the colour to mourning colours then.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I just checked: It just states it is possible to switch the profile into "commemoration mode." I simply assumed that it would be gray. It doesn't have to be.
Also, besides birth and death certificate to demand the deletion of a profile you also have to hand in the certificate of inheritance.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lino » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 pm

how can I put "in a hard relationship with the CIA"?
Image :P

(bloody forum cuts all images)
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 am

Elessar wrote:10% of the male population are ignored by a society where red and green feature prominently. People who can see all colours should man up and cater for those who struggle with red/green.

(The same is of course true for left handed people)

I hate baby blue - the most depressing color on the planet!

Innuendoes

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:02 am

How can one hate colours?

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 am

Simon wrote:How can one hate colours?

Well, you can read this.

http://www.psychology-101.com/2012/03/c ... t-our.html

Colors I prefer are bright, vibrant colors such as orange, bright melon, peach, yellow, bright green, and bright turquoise plus black and white. And I also like rust, browns and some other neutrals such as tan and silver. If I go into a house that is decorated with blue carpeting and sofas, etc, I feel the need to get out. When I was pregnant, just about the only colors available for women's clothing was light blue. I was depressed most of the time until I found more colorful clothes with the ones I like.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 am

I hate neon colors...or what was said in Inny's link above.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:53 am

icy wrote:

I hate neon colors...or what was said in Inny's link above.

Many colors can be neon and not all bright colors are. For instance, bright green is not neon, it's bright green like kelly green or grass green, like this.

But this is neon green.

And orange...

Or neon orange.

I'm getting these shoes if it's the last thing I do! I missed a pair for under 20 bucks on ebay while debating on here and missed the end of the auction and was not a happy camper because these can go over 100 bucks a pair.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:23 pm

When I think neon, I think of that horrible neon yellow and pink. I usually love those colors, but in neon it bothers me. The neon green jumped right out on the black template.
About Facebook, I wish we could have the option of choosing colors. If we could, I'd have mine as pink. BTW, no one fall for the you can change your profile color, that's a spam/scam. I learned the hard way a couple years back.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Simon wrote:Isn't it more like that no person can see ALL colours as the human eye can only see a fraction of the whole range of colours that the world actually offers? That's pretty close to philosophy...
Anyway, I might recheck the newspaper article. But I remember that "Facebook" is changing the colour to mourning colours then.

There is no colour 'in the world'. Colour is created by our brains. Visible light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum that stimulates our photoreceptors. Different animals have different photoreceptors, due to evolution by natural selection. Humans have four photoreceptors - rods, which crudely see light, and cones, which specifically see red, green and blue. Every other colour that we see is a combination of those three. 10% of men either have a mutated red or green cone, or a completely absent red or green cone. My green cones are entirely absent, so I only see in red and blue. In practice I can still function almost as well as anyone else, but occasionally I encounter difficulties. Blue and yellow is a much better contrast for me (and the 350 million other colour blind people) than red and green.

It's lovely that some people don't like blue but they're probably the same people who don't like having to walk a little bit further in the car park because of disabled parking spaces. Zuckerberg is colour blind and for me, that's excellent.

Having written this, I've just noticed that my chosen QOL theme is predominantly blue as well.

Elessar

Previous

Return to Views Of The World