Sciencey Stuff

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Sciencey Stuff

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 pm

I found this interesting, and then realised we don't actually have a thread for it, as usually when I want to post an interesting sciencey link, there's another thread it can fit in. But this time there isn't one. So I've made one.

10 facts that people still get wrong:
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/1 ... -get-wrong

I have to admit, I was guilty of the Everest one. Always fun to learn something new!

Elessar

Re: Sciencey Stuff

Postby buskersude » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Have to say I knew all them, except the heat from the head thing, but its just common sense really, I just never thought about it.
I have also never considered wether or not sharks get cancer, but if I had I would certainly not have dismissed the possibility. Again, common sense.

I suppose the reason many people still believe that stuff is simply a lack of the drive to learn.

Even when I was at school I never took what I was taught as read. In my head or, when appropriate out loud, I would question everything I was told, everything I read.
Most people seem happy to accept whatever they are told and never bother to wonder about it.

You can be anything you want to be...

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

buskersude wrote:Have to say I knew all them, except the heat from the head thing, but its just common sense really, I just never thought about it.
I have also never considered wether or not sharks get cancer, but if I had I would certainly not have dismissed the possibility. Again, common sense.

I suppose the reason many people still believe that stuff is simply a lack of the drive to learn.

Even when I was at school I never took what I was taught as read. In my head or, when appropriate out loud, I would question everything I was told, everything I read.
Most people seem happy to accept whatever they are told and never bother to wonder about it.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think I need to lose too much sleep over Everest though. I knew that the furthest point from the centre of the Earth is somewhere win the Andes too. It all depends on how you're measuring these things.

As for questioning stuff - I agree, but obviously it's nigh on impossible to question absolutely everything. You have to develop techniques for knowing what to trust and what not to trust, e.g. I've never actually proven to myself that the Earth is round, but I know that if I had the inclination I could satisfy myself pretty quickly and easily. Knowing what sources to trust and which ones to question is something people are very bad at.

Elessar

Postby buskersude » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Indeed.
What to believe, in terms of the pursuit of knowledge, not theology, is a never-ending cycle. The question never goes away, and I sometimes think that had I not come to terms with the ultimate futility of my own pursuit (I'll die before I know even one percent of 'the truth'), I may have gone insane by now with the ever changing knowledge and ideas all around us.

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby fairydandy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm

The great wall of China is really something isn't it? I need to see that sometime.

Goldfish, haha, well yes, I heard that one too and have even said it myself. Still, if I was a goldfish (and I might be next time around, lol) I would only want a three second memory!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby buskersude » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm

A great example of my point is the way scientists and 'experts' have changed their thinking toward extra terrestrial life.
I swear when I was a kid (I was born in the sacred year of The Rhapsody, 1975*), the general 'official' consensus was that life does not exist, we are an accident blah blah...
Now of course, though some still sit in that camp there are many on the fence and more than enough courageous enough to admit not only the possibility but the sheer logic of it.

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby buskersude » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 pm

buskersude wrote:A great example of my point is the way scientists and 'experts' have changed their thinking toward extra terrestrial life.
I swear when I was a kid (I was born in the sacred year of The Rhapsody, 1975*), the general 'official' consensus was that life does not exist, we are an accident blah blah...
Now of course, though some still sit in that camp there are many on the fence and more than enough courageous enough to admit not only the possibility but the sheer logic of it.

* for those who don't know, or thought I meant Rhapsody In Blue. Or something.

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm

buskersude wrote:A great example of my point is the way scientists and 'experts' have changed their thinking toward extra terrestrial life.

And that's the great thing about science - it embraces change and wants to prove itself wrong.

Again though, people abuse that feature and try to make the argument that they must be right because they disagree with science, and science has been wrong in the past.

It all boils down to evidence. Want to argue with established facts? Show us your evidence. Want to cite something as fact? Be prepared to discuss the evidence. "Scientists say so" isn't the evidence, the evidence comes after "scientists say so because...".

Elessar

Postby buskersude » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

The history of mankind shows nothing more or less than change in knowledge, from learning to balance upright through our evolution to where we now just want to bloody sit down thank you.
What fascinates me is watching the changes occurring within my time in said history.

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Tarkus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Dear astronomers,

your mother thought I was big enough,

love, Pluto.

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:23 am

This is awesome (aka Never Forget This Mouse):

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/human-l ... rning-mice

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm

There's a good article on dolphins in the latest New Scientist, if anyone reads New Scientist.

Elessar

Postby buskersude » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:07 pm

New Scientist ain't so bad.
Its dolphins I couldn't care less about. :arrow:

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Elessar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 pm

It's an article about how dolphins have been uniquely elevated to the reverence we hold them in today. It turns out that the actual evidence base for them being extremely intelligent is pretty thin, and that none of their abilities is unique to them, but rather they are all seen in various other animals. The conclusion is that we should stop anthropomorphising and instead should protect them for what they are, not what we'd like them to be.

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:01 am

Innuendoes

Return to Views Of The World