6/12/17 Leeds Arena

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

6/12/17 Leeds Arena

Postby Jimi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Ok here goes.

Mmmmmmm. A mixed bag of emotions at this one.

Firstly the stage design didn't quite fit in to the Arena .
Secondly this is a severely raked stadium and therefore you are pretty high up from the stage unless you are standing. I was Brians side of the stage 1 block up.
On to the concert. ......
Now i've seen every incarnation of Queen since 1979 so I think I have a pretty good idea about what is good and what isn't.

Before I draw criticism rather than gushing praise be clear that I thought on the whole it was very very good.

A couple of observations first.
The stage show was impressive. Not quite as great as ive read of course but very good all the same.
The sound quality was outstanding. Drums in particular sounded great.
On to the tracks.

Subjective I know but....

Highlights - Under Pressure - Stone Cold Crazy - I'm in love with my Car. Somebody lo Love - Roger Taylor

Now the less good bits. Brian broke a string during the solo in Rhapsody ! What a time for that.
The steps up from the catwalk seemed to deter him from walking down to the audience.
He seemed at times distracted or maybe under the weather. 2 big nights on the trot maybe?
The audience was pretty dreadful. The worst ive witnessed through the various tours with PR al and FM. I didn't get any vibe from it.
I didn't think the band did either- certainly not in the way Glasgow and Newcastle reacted or the way Brian commented afterward. ( there is no remark that i've seen about Leeds)
Love of my Life was poorly received
Bicycle Race is just not pleasant.
I was told to sit down during Tie Your Mother Down.... :lol:

I do get now why they veer to the well known tracks as its evident a lot of people do not know (or like) tracks such as Stone / TYMD / GDML so pushing the boat out further must be a struggle.

All in all 8/10

Well done thanks for the memories time to put your feet up

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Re: 6/12/17 Leeds Arena

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks for the recap.
From what you wrote, the audience could have been better. That’s a shame. When I stood up for FBG, almost the whole block in Munich did. It‘s much more fun that way!

Here is a review from Leeds:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/w ... -1-8897908

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:54 pm

No worries

Yeah it was pretty subdued.
I saw some footage on youtube from the end of the catwalk that gives the impression its cooking but it wasn't.
That doesn't mean it was bad or anything just surprisingly quiet.

Yep seen that review. Amazing they cant be bothered to use a picture from the current tour .....

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am

I was at the Leeds arena Gig. This was my first attendance of any Queen gig so a special night for me. The two hours just flew by. Like others, i was unsure of Adam - but when you see him in the flesh - he really does get you on his side. He's not trying to be Freddie in any way - just there to perform great music that we all love.

Leeds Arena (or the First Direct Arena as its known) is a a special place because of its set up. Rather than being like an usual arena with seats being down the perimeter and a standing area, everybody is facing the stage - a bit like Shea Stadium (if you have seen the beatles gig footage you know what i mean).

This is obviously gives the venue it's limitations as Stage setups with long catwalks cannot fit in as the standing area is quite small. So when Brian comes to do his Acoustic bit he won't be able to see the across the whole arena.

I was in block 218 which meant due to the sheer gradient of the seats below it meant that you couldn't see the tip of the catwalk - which is where Brian was sat. You could see his waist upwards but that's about it. Maybe he just didn't feel close to the audience with the layout. After all these catwalks are designed to put the band in the crowd, but at Leeds it just isn't possible.

That being said - it was a great night - even if the audience reaction was a little tame. The age group seemed to be much older than i expected, everybody must of being pushing 60+ at least in our block!

The visuals and lighting were stunning. When the laser's came on for WTLF and Guitar Solo, it did give a 3D effect which i don't think you would feel in a normal arena set up if you were sat at the side.

I still can't get over the Broken guitar string in BoRhap. Brian looked really hacked off that it happened and seemed to affect him for the rest of the show (only two songs luckily). I suppose - a technical problem in your Signature song would pee anybody off. It even seemed affect roger and the band as well because as soon as it happened the band seemed to fall apart and were all over the shop in terms of rhythm. Luckily it was only for a few bars before the opera section kicked in. They are only human after all.

Would of like to have seen more deep cuts in the setlist, but it a jukebox of a gig so hey ho.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:10 pm

forgot to mention I was in 108
good review by the way

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby P.T » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 pm

I always saw Queen+ in London, EXCEPT for when I went to Sheffield for the last tour.

Honestly I found the northerners up there really fucking irritating. Half had clearly just fallen out of the pub because they were pissed as farts and many of them didn't even seem all that into Queen. It was like they'd gone for Don't Stop Me Now and didn't know any of the other tracks. They didn't dance, they didn't sing, they didn't care.

Now, London on the other hand...I was at this gig in 2012 when THIS happened:

phpBB [video]

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby julymorning » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 am

Nicki79 wrote:Thanks for the recap.
From what you wrote, the audience could have been better. That’s a shame. When I stood up for FBG, almost the whole block in Munich did. It‘s much more fun that way!

Here is a review from Leeds:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/w ... -1-8897908

Double shame, because Tyler's family flew over and were there tonight, as was Tyler's in-laws and so I assume his wife. Bob Geldof was there. Also, I understand, and this may be another reason for the glum over the broken string during Boh Rhap is because Roy Thomas Baker was there too.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Jimi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

P.T wrote:I always saw Queen+ in London, EXCEPT for when I went to Sheffield for the last tour.

Honestly I found the northerners up there really fucking irritating. Half had clearly just fallen out of the pub because they were pissed as farts and many of them didn't even seem all that into Queen. It was like they'd gone for Don't Stop Me Now and didn't know any of the other tracks. They didn't dance, they didn't sing, they didn't care.

Now, London on the other hand...I was at this gig in 2012 when THIS happened:

phpBB [video]

The reaction on the previous tour was better than the one in Leeds this time around.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Echoplex » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Leeds is an awful place to watch a show unless you are on the floor or the lower half of the seating.

If you happen to be sat on the upper level you have a great view of the rigging points which are at eye level and the PA and top of the lighting rig. The stage is a long way down from there and you run the risk of feeling like you are not part of what half the lower half of the building is experiencing.

The idea of putting 13,000 plus seats in a theatre configuration may have looked great on paper but it doesn't work. Also has pointed out the distance from the up stage rear wall to front of the tier is very short so any big production has to be scaled back.

The best bit about it is that it's less than thirty seconds to push a flight case from the stage to the loading dock and into a truck/trailer. But that's not what the audience on the top tier are paying money for.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm

julymorning wrote:
Double shame, because Tyler's family flew over and were there tonight, as was Tyler's in-laws and so I assume his wife. Bob Geldof was there. Also, I understand, and this may be another reason for the glum over the broken string during Boh Rhap is because Roy Thomas Baker was there too.

Hi julyorning! You are in the wrong thread, yesterday's show was in London. Everything went smoothly there - is an understatement! Your boy was very well received and I'm sure made his family proud. He's an amazing musician and to perform side by side with Roger must be a great and well deserved experience for him!

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 pm

P.T wrote:Now, London on the other hand...I was at this gig in 2012 when THIS happened:

Thanks for that. It's simply amazing, absolutely amazing and Brian looked so genuinely happy, apart from looking so genuinely sad as well.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert