Interview Brian May (about SYW and IL)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Interview Brian May (about SYW and IL)

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm

In America, SCC is actually surprisingly well known....probably partially thanks to Metallica's cover later on. But that track *is* much better known than SYW for example.

As for TYMD. I'm actually surprised whenever they *DON'T* play it. Bri said long ago that no matter what else happened on the day, that that track always worked. *shrug* It *IS* a good live track.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Stu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 pm

If they want to be a greatest hits band, then there are other choices they could play to at least mix up the setlist - it's a hard life, breakthru, the miracle, innuendo, too much love will kill you, good old fashioned lover boy, save me etc. All very well known tracks.

I worked out a few weeks ago that post 2005, the only absolute greatest hits they have played is Heaven for Everyone - why not at least do that?

Stu
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Stu wrote:I worked out a few weeks ago that post 2005, the only absolute greatest hits they have played is Heaven for Everyone - why not at least do that?

I was trying to work out what you meant there...I think I've worked out you meant it's the only one they haven't played.

Yeah, would love for them to play it.

I think a lot of other people might have mixed feelings about songs from Made In Heaven being performed by anyone else (although they've already done I Was Born To Love You, though I don't think Paul or Adam were involved). I'm okay with it but I totally understand why some might feel they are not to be touched by others.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:47 pm

BitterTears wrote:
Stu wrote:I worked out a few weeks ago that post 2005, the only absolute greatest hits they have played is Heaven for Everyone - why not at least do that?

I was trying to work out what you meant there...I think I've worked out you meant it's the only one they haven't played.

Yeah, would love for them to play it.

I think a lot of other people might have mixed feelings about songs from Made In Heaven being performed by anyone else (although they've already done I Was Born To Love You, though I don't think Paul or Adam were involved). I'm okay with it but I totally understand why some might feel they are not to be touched by others.

phpBB [video]

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Ah. Delightful.

Well, still. The point still sort of stands.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Stu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 pm

BitterTears wrote:

Apologies, was on my phone and missed off the n't! :-D

Anyway, it's all down to lazy setlist creation on Queen's part. SCC could be replaced with another early rocker, Love With My Car could be another Roger vocal track (Fight from the Inside would have been great - RT did mention he didn't consider it as it's basically a solo song, but last time I checked Last Horizon isn't a Queen track), Killer Queen could become ...Lover Boy etc etc.

Stu
Spread Your Wings

Postby sbrown » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

BitterTears wrote:
Stu wrote:I think a lot of other people might have mixed feelings about songs from Made In Heaven being performed by anyone else (although they've already done I Was Born To Love You, though I don't think Paul or Adam were involved). I'm okay with it but I totally understand why some might feel they are not to be touched by others.

They also did Too Much Love with Katie Melua, but that's it I think.
MIH is very very under-represented.
I don't actually understand not performing Heaven For Everyone given how often Rog performed it on Cross tours. It would be a much better song for him to do than A Kind Of Magic.
And in context, it's ironic that they performed Love Kills so many times.

I'm not sure they make the decisions for the same reasons we may think :)

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I always thought they should do HFE with Roger on vocals...I mean that would make sense...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AlexKx » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 am

Obviously they should be starting with "Earth" and conclude with "Love Kills". :D

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 am

Love Earth and think they did a great live version at the Smile reunion. Maybe they'll do another reunion for the 50th(!) anniversary that is coming up.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby dazzag82 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 am

Like I said before Its just great to see them live no matter what they play

We are all just being extra picky......I like Brian's solo but yeah Last Horizon isnt a queen song...perhaps bring back Bijou cos it worked great on the Q+PR 2008 tour (though have a feeling LH was played then as well)

When you read the set list and the number of songs for me it seems short and there are a few of songs which they don't play in full...Killer Queen, Bicycle Race are bits of that just connect into something else, Radio Ga Ga misses the whole 2nd verse and chorus - Take Your Breath Away is listed on the set list but its a few opening bars for WWTLF - could you really count it?

Adam's Thank You / Freddie speech, Brian's selfie stick bit are all things which eats into the 2 hours - but it gives rest breaks for the rest of the band, especially Roger.

As a drummer myself, I have always felt that the set is very much structured around Roger's staying power over a 2 hour show. He will be the most knackered at the end of it - trust me!

dazzag82
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 am

Nicki79 wrote:I found a this Interview in another internet-forum. Brian explains, why they dropped "Spread your wings" and "It's late". Since that question has often been discussed, I decided to bring it over.

THE SHOWS MUST GO ON
(Incomplete) Interview with Brian May from: January 2018 issue of “The Guitar Magazine” (on the via.com/queenrocks, pdf-version)

The touring life of Queen dates all the way back to a gig at Truro Town Hall on 27 June 1970 – one, so the story goes, that was arranged by drummer Roger Taylor’s mum – and monumental success soon followed. As they increased in size over the ensuing years, so did the venues they would play. For example on 20 March 1981 a staggering 131,000 rabid fans came to see them at the Morumbi Stadium in São Paolo, and the classic line-up’s last show, the now revered Knebworth Park extravaganza that took place on 9 August 1986, was witnessed by an estimated throng of 160,000.

An obvious, and some would say insurmountable, obstacle to the continued momentum of this touring juggernaut was the passing of the incomparable Freddie Mercury in 1991 and whether
the band should have been laid to rest alongside that most wonderful of singers remains a hot-button online topic.
However, now comprising just Taylor and guitarist Brian May after the retirement of bassist John Deacon, Queen undertook three subsequent tours with Free vocalist Paul Rodgers before joining forces with a vocalist far closer to the Mercury mould, Adam Lambert.
“I often think that Freddie would both love him and hate him!” asserts the everfriendly May. “Adam’s a great showman and he can hit those top notes without losing any quality or power. The things he pushes himself into are just breathtaking – he’s amazing, I have to say.”

Read All About It
Queen + Adam Lambert has been on the road for most of the second half of 2017 with more dates scheduled for next year, and the theme of the spectacular production is based around the 1977
album News Of The World and its iconic cover design by noted sci-fi artist Frank Kelly Freas that features a bloodsplattered robot.
We’re speaking to May whilst the band is on hiatus between the US and European legs of the trek and he brings us up to speed regarding the origin of the idea.
“Someone casually said to me that it was the 40th anniversary of News Of The World but I wasn’t that interested; it’s always the anniversary of something! But then I looked at the album cover again and thought how great it would be to bring the old robot back to life, so we set to it. I don’t think I’m giving away too much to say that he opens the show by smashing his way through the screen: it’s colossal and people love it.”
Although News Of The World openers We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions have been mainstays of the Queen set for decades, the band dusted of a couple of rarer album tracks this time around, namely It’s Late and Spread Your Wings. However, as May explains to us, neither made it to the final leg of the US tour and, considering the band’s global stature, it’s fascinating to note how organic the set list is today.
“I thought that Spread Your Wings was going to be a massive success with the audience because it’s very much a singalong, but we didn’t feel like it caught fire, so we dropped it after a few shows. It
may be more of a European rather than an American thing, so it’s possible that we’ll consider putting it back in to see how it goes here.
“It’s Late is an epic that takes a massive amount of concentration to perform, but I love it,” he continues. “That went really well and the reason we didn’t do it on the final few shows was that we felt it was exhausting us and the audience too much. I think there’s an optimum length to a show that allows you to keep the energy and it’s a fine line. We’re not a band that plays for four hours a night and so, in trimming and adjusting the show, It’s Late bit the dust at the end of that American leg.”

It’s a spectacular and hugely entertaining production, one that most Queen fans will surely relate to and enjoy regardless of who’s at the vocal mic.

a long technical guitar related discussion follows. This is the conclusion of the article:

So, there’s no putting it of : the million dollar question. Is this likely to be Queen’s last tour, at least of this scale? May is ready with a response.
“I’ve no idea,” he laughs, cryptically. “I didn’t think we’d still be doing it at this point. It’s full-scale and it’s a good, meaty show. The number 70 is quite significant; I didn’t realise what it was going to feel like. I look in the mirror and think: ‘70? Are you really?’, because inside I feel like I’m about 35, you know? It’s daunting; three score years and 10 is the lifespan of a human being and everything else afterwards is bonus time.”

As we say our farewells we ask May to airm the validity and relevance of the current tour for any remaining unbelievers.
“It’s as big, dramatic and powerful as anything we’ve done for the last 40 years,” he summarises succinctly. “Those songs are alive in all of us; they’re not museum pieces, which is the key, I think.”

The UK leg of the Queen + AdamLambert European tour begins on 26 November 2017.

Nice find. I do adore Brian. And I still cannot believe he is 70 - the man is surely a hybrid of Peter Pan and Gandalf...gawd bless 'im.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert