Studio buns in the oven

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Will the '' studio buns in the oven'' actually materialise?!

No way. Brian talking bollocks again.
32%
Yes, but it'll be totally dull in reality - a new version of Love Of My Life sung by Kerry Ellis.
5%
Yes, but it will be some Paul Rodgers related shite.
No votes
Yes, but it will just be something with Taylor Hawkins playing drums on a new version of IILWMC.
9%
Yes, but it will just be a re-recording of It's A Hard Life with Tom Chaplin from Keane singing.
9%
Yes, it will be a rare outtake - Hangman or Let Me In (YHA) - something like that. Whoopee!!!
23%
Don't give a rat's arse - I'm past caring.
23%

Total votes : 22

Re: Studio buns in the oven

Postby stagnation » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm still peeved that the only the way you can get GH3 in remastered form is by buying the 2011 version of the Platinum Collection. I know the track listing is turd but it's still part of the discography. Especially when GH 1 & GH2 were the first product of the 2011 Remasters. Sure a standalone version would of sold a few copies.

It's also a shame that they didn't reissue "Rocks" when "Forever" came out. They are a nice pair. (i'm referring to the 1cd version of "Forever" and not the abomination of the 2CD).

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlaRegularis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm

stagnation wrote:I'm still peeved that the only the way you can get GH3 in remastered form is by buying the 2011 version of the Platinum Collection. I know the track listing is turd but it's still part of the discography. Especially when GH 1 & GH2 were the first product of the 2011 Remasters. Sure a standalone version would of sold a few copies.

It's also a shame that they didn't reissue "Rocks" when "Forever" came out. They are a nice pair. (i'm referring to the 1cd version of "Forever" and not the abomination of the 2CD).

What's wrong with the deluxe edition?

AlaRegularis
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Personally, I'm glad GHIII is buried away somewhere, where only the people who REALLY want it, can get it.

It was a bit of a crap standalone album, and the passage of time hasn't really improved the situation.

As regards Forever, apart from one play of both the single and double versions of it, the only tracks I listen to with any frequency are the first three, and even then I try to avoid the mess that is 'There Must Be More To This Track Than This'
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sacko » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Last edited by sacko on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am

The Platinum Collection and the standalone Greatest Hits albums are a good introduction package for new fans.
And personally, as a Queen collector, instead of wearing out the studio albums, I prefer using my Greatest Hits albums. Of course I also have a pair of sealed/unplayed versions to be saved for the future.

Compilations still sells; GH l and ll; on the list of the most sold albums in the UK ever.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm still a little surprised they haven't tried to put all their singles on one collection... surely that'd sell. Not in Greatest Hits I & II numbers, but still...
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby imthewalrus79 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Kes wrote:Personally, I'm glad GHIII is buried away somewhere, where only the people who REALLY want it, can get it.

It was a bit of a crap standalone album, and the passage of time hasn't really improved the situation.

As regards Forever, apart from one play of both the single and double versions of it, the only tracks I listen to with any frequency are the first three, and even then I try to avoid the mess that is 'There Must Be More To This Track Than This'

I tend to agree. GH III works better to me as part of the Platinum Collection rather than on it's own. It collects some great tracks off Made in Heaven and some great tracks that didn't make it to GH II. I've always been split on the Brian and Freddie tracks on the album. On one hand, it's a nice little intro to the casual fan to their solo work. But, I can't understand why not one of Roger's solo tracks was featured. And there were a few other great Queen tracks that could have been featured instead, Keep Yourself Alive immediately coming to mind.

It does seem the band has distanced themselves from that album, only making it part of the Platinum Collection. But I'm surprised they didn't re-release it on vinyl with Hits 1 and 2. Heck they could have packaged all three in a box and makred the first vinyl release of the Platinum Collection.

Sir Didymus wrote:I'm still a little surprised they haven't tried to put all their singles on one collection... surely that'd sell. Not in Greatest Hits I & II numbers, but still...

Isn't that pretty much what the three Greatest Hits albums are, all the UK singles minus Keep Yourself Alive and Spread Your Wings (another track that should have been on Hits III)?

Kes wrote:I think the main reason they put out the bootlegs in the same quality AS the bootlegs, was so they didn't give the bootleggers a better quality source to do the bootlegging with.

We can all argue about the pros and cons of that, but to a degree, I see their point.

I don't really understand that line of thinking, especially in this day and age. Why should any act release anything then? For those that didn't want to pay the money for the recent NOTW 40th box but wanted to hear the Raw Sessions disc, it's very easy for them to be able to get that material, albeit illegally.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Tie Your Mother Down, Love Of My Life, Scandal, to name but three tracks that were UK singles A sides, not on any of the GH albums.

As regards the second point, IMHO we have a drummer who comes from the same sort of place as Lars Ulrich when it comes to the band shooting themselves in the foot by providing the bootleggers with better quality masters to flood the market with.

You could argue that if they kept them on the site, at a cheap enough price, then who would actually NEED a bootleg copy, but then you get arseholes like me who've just got to have everything on hard copy.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby imthewalrus79 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 am

Kes wrote:You could argue that if they kept them on the site, at a cheap enough price, then who would actually NEED a bootleg copy, but then you get arseholes like me who've just got to have everything on hard copy.

I'll admit I'm the same way with wanting a physical copy. But, why pay the bootleggers to do it? When they put up tracks during the first Queen + Paul Rogers tour, I happily paid to download the tracks they put up on the site to buy. But I did want a physical copy of the tracks too. So, I put the songs in concert order, even editing the the tracks to make it sound like one continuous concert, and burned them to CD. Then I found myself some artwork to make the cover and inserts and presto, I had a physical copy.

Yeah, a bootlegger might make a better cover or even do one of those mini-vinyl things. But, they could beat the bootleggers on that side by coming up with artwork that could be downloaded so the fans could make a physical copy with professional artwork if they wanted to. Heck, maybe they could run off a limited amount of the covers in a mini-vinyl form and sell them at a decent price to those fans who might want a physical copy. Heck, maybe even involve the fans by having a contest where the fans design covers for the titles, have the band and management knock it down to the best five or so, and have the fans vote on which cover they think is the best. Then the designer of the winning cover would get some sort of prize.

Don't get me wrong; I can understand not wanting to give any leeway to the bootleggers. But, I guess I feel that, had they put a little bit more thought into the 100 best bootlegs project, they could have come up with something that was a little more special for the fans without near as much worry about empowering the bootleg industry better material by providing a better product (which actually could have eaten away at the Queen bootleggers) and maybe have had more legs to see it further, or maybe completion.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 am

Like yourself, I just thought "Why?" when they put them out in the quality that they did.

You then start playing devil's advocate, and try to think what was going through their heads when they did it. We pretty much know for sure they have better soundboard quality recordings of these shows. One that springs to mind was the bootleg 'Cry Argentina', which was in fact the soundtrack to the Montreal gigs, as an example.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby imthewalrus79 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 pm

My guess is that someone decided it would be a nice way to make some money for the band instead of the bootleggers with minimal work on their part. And that may have worked when downloading was just starting. But by the time they started the project, fans were able to download those bootlegs for free from other sources, sometimes from a better and/or remastered source.

And I will agree with you that some of the choices were just weird. Cry Argentina was one. Xmas at the Beeb was another. At that point, they had to have known that the Rock Montreal release was in the works and that the Hammersmith Odeon concert would make a great video and CD release (as it was). The same can be said for the BBC studio tracks.

I guess the more you look at that project, the more it seems it was a hastily cobbled together one.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 pm

I think all the money from them went to the MPT, so it was never really about "making the band a bit of money".

When something is done for charity, it always makes it a bit awkward to complain about it.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby FCB101 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Doing something BAD for charity makes it all the more shocking...
As if they didn't want to make any money and at the same time NOT give value for their money to their customers.

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:32 pm

I don't see it that way.

They gave people the choice of paying £20 for a bootleg CD, or paying a fraction of that for the same gig in the same quality via a download, and the knowledge that the sum of money people had just paid was going to a good cause.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 pm

imthewalrus79 wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:I'm still a little surprised they haven't tried to put all their singles on one collection... surely that'd sell. Not in Greatest Hits I & II numbers, but still...

Isn't that pretty much what the three Greatest Hits albums are, all the UK singles minus Keep Yourself Alive and Spread Your Wings (another track that should have been on Hits III)?

Kes wrote:Tie Your Mother Down, Love Of My Life, Scandal, to name but three tracks that were UK singles A sides, not on any of the GH albums.

Indeed. Also missing were Flick of the Wrist (it's a double A-side, so technically one of their biggest hits) and Back Chat, both of which went top 40.

If I was going to package GH3, bearing in mind that the compilation had the new mix of Under Pressure on it to bolster sales, I'd have plumped for...

01. Heaven for Everyone [Single Version]
02. Under Pressure [Rah Mix]
03. Flick of the Wrist [Single Version]
04. Too Much Love Will Kill You
05. Back Chat [Single Remix]
06. Another One Bites the Dust '98
07. Spread Your Wings
08. Let Me Live
09. Body Language
10. Scandal
11. Somebody to Love [Live at Wembley Stadium, 20th April 1992]
12. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
13. You Don't Fool Me [Single Edit]
14. These are the Days of Our Lives
15. No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)
16. A Winter's Tale
17. Thank God It's Christmas

There we go - still 17 tracks, but every single one of them went top 40 in the UK. You could argue for the inclusion of Keep Yourself Alive and Love of My Life (Live) over the Wyclef remix, but that was a hit, and they weren't.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On