Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 am

deakysghost wrote:Having seen 3 shows on the current tour I was disappointed at how scripted and ‘locked in’ the band were to the visuals. It was musical theatre on a grand scale, “We Will Rock You” without the crap storyline! I’m sure to a first time Queen concert attendee it ticked all the boxes. As a long time fan who was there in the glory days with Freddie it was quite sad to see age really has caught up with May / Taylor & Edney. I sincerely hope that they see sense instead of dollars and retire gracefully.

Yep, this right here ^.

I understand that we cannot get a true feel of the sound and the atmosphere from online clips of the gigs, but we can get a good idea of just how scripted and Glee-like they all are - and they REALLY are scripted.

People know on here that I have nothing against Lambert; but these QAL shows just seem to lack the rawness and spontaneity that Queen shows were once full off. Yes, I understand that back in the day they had to have structure to the shows and be bang on with timing, etc. but they never came across as predictable and scripted in the way the QAL shows do.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby AngelR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
deakysghost wrote:Having seen 3 shows on the current tour I was disappointed at how scripted and ‘locked in’ the band were to the visuals. It was musical theatre on a grand scale, “We Will Rock You” without the crap storyline! I’m sure to a first time Queen concert attendee it ticked all the boxes. As a long time fan who was there in the glory days with Freddie it was quite sad to see age really has caught up with May / Taylor & Edney. I sincerely hope that they see sense instead of dollars and retire gracefully.

Yep, this right here ^.

I understand that we cannot get a true feel of the sound and the atmosphere from online clips of the gigs, but we can get a good idea of just how scripted and Glee-like they all are - and they REALLY are scripted.

People know on here that I have nothing against Lambert; but these QAL shows just seem to lack the rawness and spontaneity that Queen shows were once full off. Yes, I understand that back in the day they had to have structure to the shows and be bang on with timing, etc. but they never came across as predictable and scripted in the way the QAL shows do.

There was no internet back then so everything would be less predictable.
The first Queen + AL shows at Hammersmith I'd describe as spontaneous. I was lucky to follow their progress over the last 5 years. My oldest daughter is a Queen fan now. I hope they will not retire before my youngest one is allowed to see them, so hoping for one more tour. Would've loved to see them on acoustic tour in smaller venues, don't think they would be interested though. Maybe Brian will tour with Kerry again?

By the way there were so many young people queueing up alongside with middle age and very old fans! Queen music is like a bridge connecting all generations together. :)

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 pm

AngelR wrote:
There was no internet back then so everything would be less predictable.
The first Queen + AL shows at Hammersmith I'd describe as spontaneous. I was lucky to follow their progress over the last 5 years. My oldest daughter is a Queen fan now. I hope they will not retire before my youngest one is allowed to see them, so hoping for one more tour. Would've loved to see them on acoustic tour in smaller venues, don't think they would be interested though. Maybe Brian will tour with Kerry again?

By the way there were so many young people queueing up alongside with middle age and very old fans! Queen music is like a bridge connecting all generations together. :)

Oh, I know the fact that we can all see performances online the very next day makes things far more predictable; and I am sure that had the internet been around when Freddie was alive then we would all be over-analysing the shows and bemoaning certain things - but, Freddie was never scripted in the way Adam is (yes, he probably repeated some things - one would if one had to perform that many shows over the years - but he would never come across as predictable, etc.).

Believe me, I have tried to embrace this collaboration and have always remained open-minded (and I actually like Adam from the little I know of him), but it is way too Glee-like for my taste and just not rock 'n' roll.

Still, as I have always stated, QAL are bringing joy to thousands of people, young and old alike, and that can only be a positive thing. And I am sure Queen will increase their fanbase because of this. But that just proves how much this timeless music means to people. And of course Adam and the boys gel really well together - they are plainly happier than they have ever been. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Do you think we might fixate on Adam too much? I'm pretty much take him or leave him. Don't mind him but don't love him either. I just like the chance to see Brian and Roger. Obviously you can't completely ignore him as he's front and centre for like 2/3s of the show but I just don't really think about him that much. I'm not even listening to him sing because I'm screaming all the words myself (sorry for spoiling your videos, people next to me)

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 pm

BitterTears wrote:Do you think we might fixate on Adam too much? I'm pretty much take him or leave him. Don't mind him but don't love him either. I just like the chance to see Brian and Roger. Obviously you can't completely ignore him as he's front and centre for like 2/3s of the show but I just don't really think about him that much. I'm not even listening to him sing because I'm screaming all the words myself (sorry for spoiling your videos, people next to me)

Exactly! No matter what some bitter old fans in this forum may think, Adam is NOT the whole show! There are 6 very talented and devoted musicians and who knows how many amazing crew members who make this show work so smoothly and beautifully!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm

CNB wrote:
BitterTears wrote:Do you think we might fixate on Adam too much? I'm pretty much take him or leave him. Don't mind him but don't love him either. I just like the chance to see Brian and Roger. Obviously you can't completely ignore him as he's front and centre for like 2/3s of the show but I just don't really think about him that much. I'm not even listening to him sing because I'm screaming all the words myself (sorry for spoiling your videos, people next to me)

Exactly! No matter what some bitter old fans in this forum may think, Adam is NOT the whole show! There are 6 very talented and devoted musicians and who knows how many amazing crew members who make this show work so smoothly and beautifully!

If he is not the whole of the show, why do you persist in spamming this site with reviews from his fans and photos of him?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:28 pm

The reviews of the most recent tours in the US, EU and UK have not been from Adam fans. In many cases, especially the tweets, they were from long time Queen fans who were pleasantly surprised at what a good time they had at the show and how respectful it was to the music and original members of the band!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 pm

CNB wrote:

Hmmm...but that is not strictly true for everyone here. I don't take to QAL because Adam's vocal histrionics grate on me and the shows are simply too scripted and lacking in raw rock 'n' roll; and, to be fair, rock 'n' roll is what Queen have always been about...hence why some Queen fans (myself included) do not buy into these concerts.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with people hating on Adam Lambert and more to do with people simply not taking to him. No negativity, no criticising for the sake of it...just personal taste.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
CNB wrote:

Hmmm...but that is not strictly true for everyone here. I don't take to QAL because Adam's vocal histrionics grate on me and the shows are simply too scripted and lacking in raw rock 'n' roll; and, to be fair, rock 'n' roll is what Queen have always been about...hence why some Queen fans (myself included) do not buy into these concerts.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with people hating on Adam Lambert and more to do with people simply not taking to him. No negativity, no criticising for the sake of it...just personal taste.

Completely and utterly agree. From the outset those of us who were against QAL were labelled as bitter, twisted, non fans and so on. My objection was, and remains, their opposition to reality TV shows (C-lebrity and WWRY) until it suited. Remember when Kerry Ellis was voted off The Voice? Brian went right off on one about how those shows were not about talent but more about image. Enlightenment said.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 pm

I didn’t know about Kerry Ellis being on The Voice. But in Adam’s case he was head and shoulders above the others in his competition. He had been live performing on a stage since age 10 whereas some of those American Idol contestants were performing in front of a live audience for the first time.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 pm

CNB wrote:I didn’t know about Kerry Ellis being on The Voice. But in Adam’s case he was head and shoulders above the others in his competition. He had been live performing on a stage since age 10 whereas some of those American Idol contestants were performing in front of a live audience for the first time.

As you have told us countless times. How much are you being paid to peddle this PR bollocks? As for him being head and shoulders above every one else, he still did not win. Cue a rant from her about that was because he was gay.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Whilst someone was "on vacation" hardly any of this bollocks went on. There was a spat about Lambert fucking up the words to one of the lesser known songs three nights on the bounce. Other than that, very little. People seemed to mainly accept what others were saying. There was a bit of sniping of course but nothing like had gone on.

I had the misfortune to hear Lambert on a Radio 2 interview a while back when he said he treat performing live like being on the stage in a theatre. The two are nothing alike. One runs to a tight script and the other can be a musical masterpiece like Phantom, Evita etc. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm

JLP wrote:...
I had the misfortune to hear Lambert on a Radio 2 interview a while back when he said he treat performing live like being on the stage in a theatre. The two are nothing alike. One runs to a tight script and the other can be a musical masterpiece like Phantom, Evita etc. :lol:

Yeah, the two are distinctively different on many levels. I like the guy, and to be fair he is always very respectful about the legacy of the band. But what appealed to me about Queen live was the raw rock 'n' roll energy and substance. I know dear Freddie could camp it up to the max, but he could also rock out with the best of them - and be very natural in both roles. And I miss that real, unpredictable and genuine rock element with Queen+ these days.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 am

JLP wrote:Whilst someone was "on vacation" hardly any of this bollocks went on. There was a spat about Lambert fucking up the words to one of the lesser known songs three nights on the bounce. Other than that, very little. People seemed to mainly accept what others were saying. There was a bit of sniping of course but nothing like had gone on.

Thing things that stood out to me in the last tour, there was more of AL singing than ever before, even the ending to Bohemian Rhapsody. DOOL was only done twice.
Frankly, I feel Freddie and John should have been shown more, not less. It's their music they did with Brian and Roger after all.
More AL and less Freddie. Honestly, a galling move.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby icy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:39 am

JLP wrote:Whilst someone was "on vacation" hardly any of this bollocks went on. There was a spat about Lambert fucking up the words to one of the lesser known songs three nights on the bounce. Other than that, very little. People seemed to mainly accept what others were saying. There was a bit of sniping of course but nothing like had gone on.

He messed up Bohemian Rhapsody three nights in a row..not exactly lesser known song :lol:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert