In the news today (North American version)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Roger wrote:I’ve made my concerns clear in the past; that a lot of the prominent views expressed here are completely contrary to Brian May’s ‘common decency’ manifesto, and there’s no reason to assume he’s in favour of indirectly bankrolling that kind of freedom of speech.

His political views should have absolutely no influence on this site in any shape or form. And if there was more free speech on here it would probably be a more harmonious place, imo. I don't agree with you and JLP politically, for example; but I still think you should both be free to state what you wish, if I agree or not.

It would be nice to think that we could all disagree but still respect each other's right to have different views.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:58 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:I’ve made my concerns clear in the past; that a lot of the prominent views expressed here are completely contrary to Brian May’s ‘common decency’ manifesto, and there’s no reason to assume he’s in favour of indirectly bankrolling that kind of freedom of speech.

His political views should have absolutely no influence on this site in any shape or form. And if there was more free speech on here it would probably be a more harmonious place, imo. I don't agree with you and JLP politically, for example; but I still think you should both be free to state what you wish, if I agree or not.

It would be nice to think that we could all disagree but still respect each other's right to have different views.

I am happy for people to express their views on here. What I cannot abide is the habit of some people focussing on certain groups when talking about crime etc. No one doubts that immigration brings some problems and some immigrants are definitely of criminal backgrounds. But to try and remotely suggest that certain crimes are exclusive to immigrants, illegal or otherwise, is wrong. Especially when crimes committed by so called Christians are dismissed as that person was not acting alone, or a certain political group was involved over in the land of the free.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby pow wow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Half the reason the forum is dying is because few know it exists. Relaunch it, plaster it over the official social media, offer a new member a prize draw entry, have regular competitions with prizes from the band. Worth a go.

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby julymorning » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 pm

JLP wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

I am happy for people to express their views on here. What I cannot abide is the habit of some people focussing on certain groups when talking about crime etc. No one doubts that immigration brings some problems and some immigrants are definitely of criminal backgrounds. But to try and remotely suggest that certain crimes are exclusive to immigrants, illegal or otherwise, is wrong. Especially when crimes committed by so called Christians are dismissed as that person was not acting alone, or a certain political group was involved over in the land of the free.

I agree with you JLP, and unless someone posts a clip from Trump's speech last night where he gave equal time to expounding the exemplary behavior of any of the DACHA Dreamers, his rhetoric on MS13 was carefully chosen to scare anyone confused about the vetting and activities of those DACHA has on their active lists. Much of his base already is convinced that all illegals are problematic (put nicely) to the welfare of this Country.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby sacko » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Last edited by sacko on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby sacko » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Last edited by sacko on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 pm

The late George Michael shut down his website’s message board because he didn’t like what was being posted. That happened, and it didn’t really matter how many people said it wasn’t fair and that they were entitled to free speech, because that actually counted for nothing.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Okay, Trump and Nunes, I dare you to release that memo because it will probably backfire on YOU!

“Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!”

Welcome to the United States of Russia:

http://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/01/30/polit ... index.html
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby sacko » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 am

Last edited by sacko on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am

Roger wrote:The late George Michael shut down his website’s message board because he didn’t like what was being posted. That happened, and it didn’t really matter how many people said it wasn’t fair and that they were entitled to free speech, because that actually counted for nothing.

I guess it just comes down to how much one believes in free speech. For me, expressing oneself honestly and debating with others of opposing views is far more constructive than shutting up those individuals one may not agree with.

I despise your political views as equally as you despise mine, but I would never try and shut you up because of this fact.

And, as Fairydandy rightly said: this place is hostile and needs to change. The fact that the mods here shut down those who they personally disagree with has certainly helped create the bad feeling on this site. It should be free speech for all here.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 am

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 am

JLP wrote:

That is all good and well if that were the case. But, in my experience it clearly is not. I should be able to state that a person is a bad person, regardless of their colour - and not be pulled up on it because I did not mention a bad person who is white as well. I find that way of looking at things ridiculous. I mean, this must be the only music/band site on which one can wish death on terrorist scum and then be slated for it; and also have one's posts deleted because of this statement - but you can wish death on a racist or call them a c*nt, etc. without any such censorship...it just strikes me as beyond hypocritical and as far away from free speech and democracy as can be.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:56 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
JLP wrote:

That is all good and well if that were the case. But, in my experience it clearly is not. I should be able to state that a person is a bad person, regardless of their colour - and not be pulled up on it because I did not mention a bad person who is white as well. I find that way of looking at things ridiculous. I mean, this must be the only music/band site on which one can wish death on terrorist scum and then be slated for it; and also have one's posts deleted because of this statement - but you can wish death on a racist or call them a c*nt, etc. without any such censorship...it just strikes me as beyond hypocritical and as far away from free speech and democracy as can be.

What is your take on Trump or don’t you care being in the UK? I am terrified what he is doing to my country!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:18 pm

CNB wrote:What is your take on Trump or don’t you care being in the UK? I am terrified what he is doing to my country!

To be honest, I do not give the man much thought; he bores me. All I know of his character is what the media puts out there - and I learnt many moons ago that it is very difficult to get an impartial picture of anybody in politics from any media outlets (most of them have their own stances and will report things accordingly).

But, from the one or two old interviews I have seen of the man I find him cold, immature, spoilt, narcissistic, and disrespectful on many levels. I don't take to him at all. Saying that, I very much doubt that anyone who gets to that level of power is going to be a truly decent, moral, empathetic soul. So I would say that he is certainly not the best president you have ever had...but maybe not the worst.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm

And I just wanted to qualify my above statement by saying that he is definitely going to create many strong divisions between your country and the rest of the world; he really believes the world revolves around the USA and overstates the importance of it with regards to other countries across the globe, imo.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World