Body Language!

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Body Language!

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 pm

When you take into account that Freddie probably felt shit for a lot of the time, I think that when he WAS busy, he was about as productive as he could possibly be. I have very little doubt that the other three spent far longer in the studio than Freddie did over the same period, and Brian a lot more than the other two.

The amount of guitars on TSMGO is even more staggering when you hear the isolated tracks from it.

I guess another factor was that previously they'd have had a decent break between making albums. In the case of The Miracle and Innuendo, they pretty much went from one to the other, although they probably didn't know that the tracks they started working on, at that point, would make the basis of another album.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Kes wrote:In the case of The Miracle and Innuendo, they pretty much went from one to the other, although they probably didn't know that the tracks they started working on, at that point, would make the basis of another album.

Not really: 'Miracle' sessions ended in February and 'Innuendo' sessions began in November. So, they had a nine-month break. Between the end of 'Opera' (November 1975) and the beginning of 'Races' (July 1976) they had eight months (seven if we count rehearsals, which began in 'June'), which is less than nine... and they'd been touring for a lot of time in those seven months!
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby stagnation » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

sebastian wrote:
Kes wrote:In the case of The Miracle and Innuendo, they pretty much went from one to the other, although they probably didn't know that the tracks they started working on, at that point, would make the basis of another album.

Not really: 'Miracle' sessions ended in February and 'Innuendo' sessions began in November. So, they had a nine-month break. Between the end of 'Opera' (November 1975) and the beginning of 'Races' (July 1976) they had eight months (seven if we count rehearsals, which began in 'June'), which is less than nine... and they'd been touring for a lot of time in those seven months!

Whether it was a Queen project or not i'm Roger and Brian were mostly recording - Roger would have been putting together the next "Cross" album - which would have been "Mad Bad and Dangerous To Know" and Brian could have been putting the down the foundations for "Back to Light"

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:30 am

Yeah, and they guested together on the 'Rock Aid Armenia' thing but they were not involved in Queen activities other than shooting the videos. So the break between the recording sessions for the albums was nine months... which is longer than between 'Heart' and 'Opera' or between 'Opera' and 'Races' ... or 'I' and 'II', 'II' and 'Heart', etc.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm

sebastian wrote:Not really: 'Miracle' sessions ended in February and 'Innuendo' sessions began in November. So, they had a nine-month break. Between the end of 'Opera' (November 1975) and the beginning of 'Races' (July 1976) they had eight months (seven if we count rehearsals, which began in 'June'), which is less than nine... and they'd been touring for a lot of time in those seven months!

And this is why we love you, Seb: you truly are Queenonline's walking, talking Queen encyclopedia. Respect, Sir! :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby bigV » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Kes wrote:The amount of guitars on TSMGO is even more staggering when you hear the isolated tracks from it.

I've never claimed to be a musical expert, but in my mind, TSMGO and Innuendo are some of the "highest production value" tracks Queen ever recorded. You're right about the isolated tracks - a real eye-opener. I wish we could hear the multitracks for Innuendo - those would be truly amazing.

Where the album stumbles, in my mind, is tracks like Ride the Wild Wind and I Can't Live With You. Those programmed drums make them almost unlistenable. Thank goodness for the Rocks' retake of the latter and Roger Taylor's live versions of the former. You know... I never really liked Ride the Wild Wind until I heard the live version from the Happiness single. Unbelievable! That ending...

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Previous

Return to Killer Queen