Suggestion for Q+AL studio album

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Suggestion for Q+AL studio album

Postby Michael Allred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 pm

While Queen and Adam Lambert still haven't even released a proper live album yet, quite a few fans of both sides are itching for a studio album. While their schedules have been full the last few years (what with the world tours and Lambert's ongoing solo career) there was always the possibility of the three writing new material, playing them during rehearsals or even finding some down time in between events to perhaps record some demos. 
However I personally feel that the guys will likely never record a studio album of new material for a variety of reasons; Lambert's solo career would come first and he wants to devote time on new material for his own albums, Queen still feeling the burn of their last such attempt with another singer, Paul Rodgers on "The Cosmos Rocks" album, not being commercially or critically a hit, Queen not feeling any burning desire to spend countless hours making new music and so on. 
However there is some middle ground that could prove viable both artistically, commercially and maybe just plain ol fun for them to do - namely a covers album. 
It's not out of the question. While Queen, in their original form, never recorded a cover song, the individual members certainly did in their solo careers. Brian had originally conceived of a covers album as a tribute to his musical heroes in the late 90s, recording multiple tracks, before shelving the idea for what ended up becoming "Another World." Of course several of those covers did get released in various ways. 
Anyway, a covers album wouldn't take anywhere near as long or cost as much to make like an album of all new material would. It would be less risky on the commercial front as well with a legendary rock band and a contemporary singer with a great voice recording well known songs. 
Lambert would naturally sing lead on the majority of the album with Brian and Roger handling a few others. I would LOVE to hear a proper studio recording of Roger singing his much loved "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin. It was a staple of his solo tours. Brian, I think, would sound incredible on The Beatles' "Yesterday." The three artists could always mix things up a bit and re-arrange classic hits into something new and fresh, maybe making a rock version of some classic ballad or just give something simple (production wise) like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" the full blown, epic Queen treatment. 
Sound like a good idea or am I just crazy? 
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Re: Suggestion for Q+AL studio album

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Sounds good to me, Michael. This morning around 4:00 am eastern time listening to an audio stream from Auckland, I found myself wishing they would release a single of their live performance of “Who Wants To Live Forever.” It would have to shine compared to some of the claptrap currently being honored with awards!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby sharon20 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Sounds an awesome idea to me, just need a way to convince them to do it now. Adam didn't want to do a covers album when his label tried to force it on him but maybe re-inventing covers with Bri & Roger would appeal to him more.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby snifflese » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Awesome idea!! Maybe they could write one or two new songs and fill in the rest with "covers". Hope they think about this!!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 pm

I would love QAL to finally release an album. I don’t see any sign, that they are actually going for it, though.

And I can’t really see Adam recording a covers-album with Brian and Roger. He‘s already „covering“ Queen‘s music, by being the lead singer for the remaining members of the band. They have never done a new original song together.
And then the first album together would be covering other bands with them?? Never!
And what sign would that send: We have a new singer, but we can’t make new music together - so we cover other bands?? You can do that, when you are an established band. But that’s not, what they are. IMO.

And don’t forget: Adam left his first label, after they wanted him to do an album of covers.

I would simply love a live recording. Or record a few new songs and add some live recordings or add new studio recordings of a few songs like WWTLF or UP. Songs, that they do very differently from old Queen-Records. And maybe one or two covers, but not really more.

Edit: I just imagined, a new fan would go into a shop to buy a record of QAL-music. Because he has just heard one of the best concerts of his life. And then the only existing record would be of them playing other bands‘ music. I don’t know, what he would think, but it would certainly be a WTF-moment. :lol:

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby snifflese » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 pm

I meant covers as in singing Queen's music, not someone else's! Not sure at all about that idea!! I would like a couple of new songs and then WWTLF, Love Kills, Save Me, I was born to love you and then anything else among their hits. That would be absolutely awesome!!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Never in a million years should they record Queen songs with any other artist. They can release a live album of new material for all I care. But leave the Queen catalogue well and truly alone.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm

There is actually no need to record Queen songs. There must be enough live-recordings. Or they can just do one. I only meant, that they could record 2-3 songs, if the perfectionists, that they are, wouldn’t find the perfect live-recording to release...

But I think, that it‘s more than time to release a live-recording:
I already heard „Under Pressure“ by QAL on the radio. I was told there was at least one other song regularly played on an Austrian radio-station (don’t remember, which one). Both must have been from the BBC NewYearsEve concert. It shows:The demand is there. And if they don’t release something, people find the songs somewhere else. Even if they are „crappy“ Youtube recordings..., as I have. :lol:

And I met several people at the merchandise stands of my last gigs, who where looking for a CD. They can’t have been longtime fans. But they just looked surprised and were disappointed, when they were told, that such thing doesn’t exist.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Nicki79 wrote:There is actually no need to record Queen songs. There must be enough live-recordings. Or they can just do one. I only meant, that they could record 2-3 songs, if the perfectionists, that they are, wouldn’t find the perfect live-recording to release...

But I think, that it‘s more than time to release a live-recording:
I already heard „Under Pressure“ by QAL on the radio. I was told there was at least one other song regularly played on an Austrian radio-station (don’t remember, which one). Both must have been from the BBC NewYearsEve concert. It shows:The demand is there. And if they don’t release something, people find the songs somewhere else. Even if they are „crappy“ Youtube recordings..., as I have. :lol:

And I met several people at the merchandise stands of my last gigs, who where looking for a CD. They can’t have been longtime fans. But they just looked surprised and were disappointed, when they were told, that such thing doesn’t exist.

They could buy bona fide Queen live albums of which there are several. I guess it is mainly AL fans who want new material but that might be wrong. Sadly I would not buy anything by them. And that wouldn't be the first time. I boycotted the 5I've monstrosity until it came in a job lot I bought. I still have not played it though.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm

One man, who asked for a CD in front of me, had just seen the show and asked for a record of it. Someone told him about existing Queen-records. He just answered, that he already owns CDs with Mercury. He wanted a record of THIS show. And no, I don’t believe, he was a Glambert. More a casual fan, as most people at the gigs.

Edit: And I understand, when you won’t buy anything released by QAL. But saying, that people, who enjoyed this show, should go and buy recordings of old Queen live shows is just a nice suggestion. Most won’t do it, because they either already have them or it’s simply not , what they want. In the end it’s like apples and oranges. It’s simply not the same.

Sure, when you liked the show, many and younger fans do go home and dig deeper and find the old Queen. Some will love it -and that’s great- and some will just prefer QAL.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby CNB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 pm

I found this video today which I haven’t seen before:

QUEEN - Musical Evolution (1973-2017)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHzBH9GnQ0
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Nicki79 wrote:One man, who asked for a CD in front of me, had just seen the show and asked for a record of it. Someone told him about existing Queen-records. He just answered, that he already owns CDs with Mercury. He wanted a record of THIS show. And no, I don’t believe, he was a Glambert. More a casual fan, as most people at the gigs.

Edit: And I understand, when you won’t buy anything released by QAL. But saying, that people, who enjoyed this show, should go and buy recordings of old Queen live shows is just a nice suggestion. Most won’t do it, because they either already have them or it’s simply not , what they want. In the end it’s like apples and oranges. It’s simply not the same.

Sure, when you liked the show, many and younger fans do go home and dig deeper and find the old Queen. Some will love it -and that’s great- and some will just prefer QAL.

Some bands do that very thing.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby icy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm

JLP wrote:Never in a million years should they record Queen songs with any other artist. They can release a live album of new material for all I care. But leave the Queen catalogue well and truly alone.

This.
Surely Brian and Roger...and even AL has more common sense than to want to do such a thing?
Brian's and Roger's best songwriting days are in the past, AL is not that of a good songwriter IMO, so if a studio album was in the cards, I wonder what they will come up with.
But I don't think I would buy or even want a Q+AL album.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby sharon20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Well unless Adam has a change of heart I wouldn't worry, I heard him say in an interview that to re-record Queen music would be sacrilege.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

sharon20 wrote:Well unless Adam has a change of heart I wouldn't worry, I heard him say in an interview that to re-record Queen music would be sacrilege.

Let's hope he doesn't change his mind.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert