The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm

This is the Japanese military flag - the Rising Sun Flag, which is viewed as a symbol of imperialism and similar to fascism and the Swastika by Chinese people and even Korean and Japanese people. When the Fox official Weibo (Chinese answer to Twitter) account released the 20 seconds trailer teaser, many Chinese people complained as it's a serious offense to us and hurt our feelings badly. THAT WAS the error Brian mentioned in his Instagram post. We never saw Roger wearing such T-shirt but even if he did the movie should not portray it as people here will think Roger and the band support fascism and war which is of course not true. Great to see they deleted that version and changed his shirt in the full trailer.

Thanks for explaining this. Mystery solved. Roger sure doesn't like Nazis and fascists.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

If Roger never actually wore the t shirt, shouldn't Greg Brookes have pointed it out, seeing as Roger's socks were a source of detailed discussion?

Now I'm wondering if Roger's swastika socks will need to be CGI'd out of the movie as well.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby SelfMadeMan » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

So are we pretty much assuming they're only showing until live aid then? Incredibly disappointed if so.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

SelfMadeMan wrote:So are we pretty much assuming they're only showing until live aid then? Incredibly disappointed if so.

They have always stated that this film will end at Live Aid so I do not understand your disappointment. And remember that this does not mean Freddie's illness - and even passing - will not be touched upon in the film.

But Queen made the right call to end the film on a high. We all know how tragic his death was. We all know how much he suffered. We do not need to see him like that on the big screen - especially to end the film (what a downer). Nope, I think most film goers will walk away from this film on a high.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
SelfMadeMan wrote:So are we pretty much assuming they're only showing until live aid then? Incredibly disappointed if so.

They have always stated that this film will end at Live Aid so I do not understand your disappointment. And remember that this does not mean Freddie's illness - and even passing - will not be touched upon in the film.

But Queen made the right call to end the film on a high. We all know how tragic his death was. We all know how much he suffered. We do not need to see him like that on the big screen - especially to end the film (what a downer). Nope, I think most film goers will walk away from this film on a high.

I'm sure of this too. It seems fitting to end the film at not so much their 'peak' but one of their many greatest triumphs and next to Bo Rhap itself easily one of the most Pop Culturally significant, so it was the right choice.

After watching the trailer (and again, and again "OI! MOTHER! LOOK AT THIS!"....and again) I'm convinced Mike Myers is Roy Thomas Baker, the voice is a dead giveaway. Myers has a certain timbre that's all his own.
the
And yup, that's certainly Kenny Everett being handed Bo Rhap in the trailer.

I'm wondering whether the 2nd (of 7) Trailers will focus that little bit more on the 80's. The image change, the Hot Space squib, Bowie, Mr. Bad Guy and the controversies.

On the other hand, that may 'spoil' too much.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm

phpBB [video]

20th Century Fox official YouTube channel

I just noticed the trailer on 20th Century Fox official YouTube channel has now 5,8 million views. :!:
That is over twice as much as the Queen official YouTube Channel with 2,3 million views.

phpBB [video]

Queen official YouTube channel

..... We are proud to say that yesterday, within hours of its release, the Bohemian Rhapsody movie trailer was one of the most watched clips on YouTube globally! So many of you enjoyed the teaser that at one point it was the No.1 trending video in the US, the UK, Canada, Germany and many other countries! It has now racked up over 20 million views across the Queen and 20th Century Fox channels..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WiseMan » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I do not why but I can not stop watching it

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hazlehurst » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Rami looks and sounds like a cross between Mick Jagger and Austin Powers. Too distracting for me.

Hazlehurst
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Another_Roger wrote:The trailer is great. Everything is subjective of course, but for me this was really impressive. As for Rami Malek I am glad we didnt get a lookalike. The most important thing is that the actors are able pull off the spirit of each bandmember.

I agree. I also think it's a good thing that the actors aren't too famous yet as well. They are starting their careers, very much like Queen. That way, for me at least, it makes the movie easier to watch, and you can pretend it is like watching Queen on their way to stardom.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Hazlehurst wrote:Rami looks and sounds like a cross between Mick Jagger and Austin Powers. Too distracting for me.

phpBB [video]

Mick Jagger on Mercury @ 5:20 :lol:

Little Richard's comment @ 5:30 lol
Last edited by TheHero on Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby SmoledMan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I don't want to be a dick, but I seriously doubt any Queen film driven by May/Taylor will even touch on Freddie's lifestyle(77-85), especially the Munich period.

I know many people will be perfectly satisfied that the film ends on a 'high' with Live Aid. However to sanitize Freddie's life is to be so far from the truth as to be a fantasy.

Really leads me to think this film is just to cause a spike in Queen album sales.

SmoledMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby SmoledMan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 pm

TheHero wrote:One more thing .. from a sound perspective:

The audio mix of Queen songs blending into and drifting away from eachother, is a good idea and very well done!

I am glad they also used original Freddie vocals.

By the way: The Instagram clip has a different intro compared with the YouTube one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BizIaoTlZxg/

Honestly I think a Queen version of The Beatles "Love" wish is the mashup-thing would be infinitely more interesting than this film.

SmoledMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

SmoledMan wrote:I don't want to be a dick, but I seriously doubt any Queen film driven by May/Taylor will even touch on Freddie's lifestyle(77-85), especially the Munich period.

Sure, but I personally would not like to watch a movie replicating anyones lifestyle 100% anyway. It can be a bit too much, if they dig too deep in one's private life. I hope they focus mostly on how they were in the studio, on tour and how they created the music. And how they got treated by the press etc.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

SmoledMan wrote:
Honestly I think a Queen version of The Beatles "Love" wish is the mashup-thing would be infinitely more interesting than this film.

What a coincidence. I just ordered that record 3 days ago.. :shock:
And I was thinking of it when I wrote that comment. Great album.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby SmoledMan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Dear Friends wrote:Some interesting narrative tensions in the time period we know are going to be covered by this film:

- Sun City - to feature or not to feature it? It's in the time period, and Jim Beach (the way the Days of Lives Doco is cut at least), seems to link the "band being under pressure" about it with the fights.
- Munich - one of the things that strikes you is the way Mack in Days of Lives claims Munich was the happiest time of Freddie's life, versus the story arc that he was "going off the rails".

Anyway, so those are just two examples of where we might see fans debate the story arc, any others?

Brian May was very clear that Munich was an awful time and it did nothing but horrible things for Freddie.

SmoledMan
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On