Queen and Adam Lambert in June

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 am

Am ex-work colleague in her late 50s goes to occasional gigs, and for a few years I've been recommending she go to see Q&AL - she finally did this time around at the o2, and sent me the following when I asked what she thought:

"You were not wrong about Queen, the show last week was outstanding. Don't think I've ever heard an arena crowd make so much noise for so long. I could barely speak on Tuesday myself! Knew Adam Lambert could sing but not that he had a voice like that. Just a brilliant show from start to finish and one of my all time favourites. I'll be first in the queue for tickets if they do another tour".

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm

I also had two tickets left, because my sister and her partner couldn’t go. A friend (whom I met through the concerts and who attended all 3 German shows) got the tickets for a friend. According to my friend, these newbies couldn’t stop talking about the show for the next week at work and want to go again, if Queen comes back. Another two bite the dust... :D

Since I loved „The Show must go on“ this time so much, I wanted to post this video. Apart from one guy singing loudly along ;) , it’s a very good recording in my opinion.
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby hardwired » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am

Nicki79 wrote:I also had two tickets left, because my sister and her partner couldn’t go. A friend (whom I met through the concerts and who attended all 3 German shows) got the tickets for a friend. According to my friend, these newbies couldn’t stop talking about the show for the next week at work and want to go again, if Queen comes back. Another two bite the dust... :D

Since I loved „The Show must go on“ this time so much, I wanted to post this video. Apart from one guy singing loudly along ;) , it’s a very good recording in my opinion.
phpBB [video]

Listened to it. Apart from the fact that I dont like the guy and his voice what absolutely strikes me is his bad timing. He is always one or more seconds behing the music at the beginning. And in the end he is too early. Doesn't anyone hear that? And his yodeling from 3:08 min upwards is totally unnecessary and completely off-turning like fingernails on a wall.

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 am

hardwired wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:I also had two tickets left, because my sister and her partner couldn’t go. A friend (whom I met through the concerts and who attended all 3 German shows) got the tickets for a friend. According to my friend, these newbies couldn’t stop talking about the show for the next week at work and want to go again, if Queen comes back. Another two bite the dust... :D

phpBB [video]

Listened to it. Apart from the fact that I dont like the guy and his voice what absolutely strikes me is his bad timing. He is always one or more seconds behing the music at the beginning. And in the end he is too early. Doesn't anyone hear that? And his yodeling from 3:08 min upwards is totally unnecessary and completely off-turning like fingernails on a wall.

Show must go on is probably my least favourite of the songs for Adam but regards the timing he often changes the way he does that on other songs, it's deliberate, for example on IWIA. I know from seeing them live and then watching vids of the same show that it sounds very different live. I haven't seen him do this song live so maybe it's better than it appears on the vids I don't know, certainly people who have seem to have been raving about it. I do think the vid synching might have been out on this one, not sure since I didn't see it live but that seemed to be the case with some songs on the one I did see compared to the vids.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 am

sharon20 wrote:
hardwired wrote:

Show must go on is probably my least favourite of the songs for Adam but regards the timing he often changes the way he does that on other songs, it's deliberate, for example on IWIA. I know from seeing them live and then watching vids of the same show that it sounds very different live. I haven't seen him do this song live so maybe it's better than it appears on the vids I don't know, certainly people who have seem to have been raving about it. I do think the vid synching might have been out on this one, not sure since I didn't see it live but that seemed to be the case with some songs on the one I did see compared to the vids.

First: I have seen them doing thins song in Berlin 2015 and 2018. In 2015 I was completely happy, when it started. I had just been a casual Queen fan, I knew nothing about their new singer and was happy, that they played one of my favorite songs. This time I was more than glad, that it was back in the setlist. And wow! It blows your mind live.

Secondly: yes, Adam is a tiny bit early in the beginning. Doesn’t take anything away for me.
It’s live. He is standing on the B-Stage, about 40 meters away from the rest of the band. That song is a killer, not only the range, but also the phrasing, because it’s often off-beat. Getting that right with a live band is tricky. And most of the time, they get it completely right.
I did notice these minor „mistakes“, but I chose that video from Antwerp, because it’s filmed from the front and shows the stage as well. And I think, that many parts are sung brilliantly. If you want „your“ perfection, you need to stick to Freddie’s record. But then you’ll miss the atmosphere of hearing that song live, with the ever higher screaming RedSpecial. It is a Killer song live, for the performer and the audience.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby hardwired » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am

It is a great song indeed but for me the AL version is unlistenable. Pretty funny that the excuse being off timing wise should be that the video is out of Sync. Could it be that the singer is the reason? For me he is a screamer and yodeling. Hitting high Notes does not make you a great singer. He has a completely offputting voice no timing and no feeling singing like a robot

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am

Nicki79 wrote:
sharon20 wrote:
hardwired wrote:

First: I have seen them doing thins song in Berlin 2015 and 2018. In 2015 I was completely happy, when it started. I had just been a casual Queen fan, I knew nothing about their new singer and was happy, that they played one of my favorite songs. This time I was more than glad, that it was back in the setlist. And wow! It blows your mind live.

Secondly: yes, Adam is a tiny bit early in the beginning. Doesn’t take anything away for me.
It’s live. He is standing on the B-Stage, about 40 meters away from the rest of the band. That song is a killer, not only the range, but also the phrasing, because it’s often off-beat. Getting that right with a live band is tricky. And most of the time, they get it completely right.
I did notice these minor „mistakes“, but I chose that video from Antwerp, because it’s filmed from the front and shows the stage as well. And I think, that many parts are sung brilliantly. If you want „your“ perfection, you need to stick to Freddie’s record. But then you’ll miss the atmosphere of hearing that song live, with the ever higher screaming RedSpecial. It is a Killer song live, for the performer and the audience.

Yeah I've heard Adam talk about this one in interview and he said the phrasing is really tricky. This is one of the few songs where I think it would work best if he stuck to the original and didn't change it at all. I usually love his take on songs but the phrasing of this one makes it almost impossible to change, he even said it himself, but I think he just want's to make sure he's not imitating so he alters bits. I do think how he's doing it now works better than in previous years. Like I said though it could be it sounds very different live, I was surprised when I listened to vids of the show I went to how different it sounded on video, he really is incredible live.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am

hardwired wrote:It is a great song indeed but for me the AL version is unlistenable. Pretty funny that the excuse being off timing wise should be that the video is out of Sync. Could it be that the singer is the reason? For me he is a screamer and yodeling. Hitting high Notes does not make you a great singer. He has a completely offputting voice no timing and no feeling singing like a robot

Well we all have our opinions, the vast majority of people love his voice and are loving the shows so it doesn't really matter that some don't, no artist can please everybody. I didn't say the sync is out, just that it might be based on the fact that the show I went to sounded so different live than what I saw on YouTube afterwards, and not just Adam's bits but the whole thing. It gives an idea, but it really doesn't do any of them justice tbh compared to the live show. Nicki did just say the timing was slightly out and she saw it live so yeah it probably wasn't the video in this case.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 pm

I wasn’t at this show. I noticed, that Adam started a tiny bit too early, but the rest is completely fine. I just listened to it again. When you listen closely, Brian isn’t playing perfectly as well, but it still sounds great. It’s live. The drama of that song could really be felt at these shows.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Nicki79 wrote:I wasn’t at this show. I noticed, that Adam started a tiny bit too early, but the rest is completely fine. I just listened to it again. When you listen closely, Brian isn’t playing perfectly as well, but it still sounds great. It’s live. The drama of that song could really be felt at these shows.

Ah sorry I must have misread that, thought you saw it live. Yeah I've watched a few vids of this song, even previous years and the guitar seems tricky to get just right as well. Problem is now everything's on YouTube it's easy to listen carefully and pick everything apart, you don't do that at a live show. Back before everybody filmed concerts on their phone you pretty much just went along and had a great time, you didn't sit home analyzing every detail. All these vids being available has it's good and bad points.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:47 pm

The only drama i can hear is the yodeling of the singer which makes you cringe.

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm

hardwired wrote:The only drama i can hear is the yodeling of the singer which makes you cringe.

I have an easy solution for you: Stay away from these videos and stick to the Queen section of this forum. It’s easy, you can do it! ;)

For those interested: The Show must go on from Berlin. I found a great video. That was my show and Adam started to sing on point. Besides: There was a fan, clothed as Freddie in his yellow jacket and white trousers in the onstage VIP seats. You can see him towards the end behind Adam. He had the time of his life!
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby hardwired » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm

The last Video is even worse. Hard to understand how pple can find any enjoyment from this. Bad timing bad pronounciation needless yodeling and then singing the song in women's clothes? His voice might fit in a wimsy Westend musical but not into Queen. And its also sad to see that Brian has huge problems with the solo. Sad ending of once untouchable legends

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby snifflese » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 am

This was a song that up until this tour was not one of his best for whatever reason. By the end of this segment of the tour, he nailed it! Listen to the last three shows in Britain. If you can't hear perfection, get ear phones. Pretty picky when you consider Freddie's live singing was not always the best. You can nit pick all you like, but there is very little to criticize. There is certainly no yodeling. You must be hearing someone call their cows out in some Dorf in Germany and getting confused!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 am

Why are you feeding the troll, guys?????
Looks like he enjoys so much attention from you :lol:

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert