The EU Referendum

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should we leave the EU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 18

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Separate argument as to whether ALL of the people in the protest are or were behaving in a peaceful manner.

All it takes is a couple of "activists" in an otherwise peaceful demonstration, and it can turn into anything but peaceful protest. All in all, the troubles left many victims on both sides, but a whole lot more who wanted no part of it, but just got caught up in indiscriminate acts of violence from all fucking sides.

Three sides to every story, as Extreme titled their album. The truth is somewhere in the middle, usually.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:40 pm

As regards the EU issue, I've said this since the vote went the way it did.

There's a natural border between the mainland of Britain and Ireland. No fucking fences, or walls. Sorry for those who want to build one, but you know where it's heading, backstop or no backstop.

As regards how the referendum went, I know a lot of people who thought Brexit would be a fairly simple case of just leaving the EU. They never considered it would be like harder than getting yourself out of Hampton Court Maze, in the middle of the night. Would they vote a different way now? Who knows.

A lot of those MPs who shitcanned May's plan, are far more frightened by a hard Brexit, so you have to ask yourself why they voted the way they did, if there was only the straight choice between deal or no deal. Are they thicker than the rest of us, not realising that the 'No Brexit' option wasnt even on the table, or what?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Incidentally, there’s a recent comedy called Derry Girls, currently on Netflix. Not only is it very funny (essentially a female version of The Inbetweeners set in 1990s Northern Ireland) but according to a friend of mine from Derry, it’s pretty much exactly what life was like in the 1990s. By that I mean it was considered normal for the British Army to stop the school bus and search it, for example. And sometimes the girls would talk about which soldier they fancied, because ultimately everyone’s just a human (“I think there’s something really sexy about the fact that they hate us so much”). And when there was a bomb scare, everyone would be annoyed because it would disrupt their travel plans etc. The show also packs a very powerful punch in the final episode.

Elessar

Postby Spook2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:53 am

I take it you have Republican sympathies as you refer to the city as Derry - Republican version - rather than Londonderry its official name.

With this in mind I now understand your comments.

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Well, the TV show I’m referring to is officially called Derry Girls, and only a special kind of dullard would try to rename it.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/der ... /59741-001

In response to your question though, I have dual Irish/British citizenship and am in fact more Irish than English.

Elessar

Postby Spook2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:40 am

I agree only a dullard would try to rename the TV show.
however I guessed correctly about your origins as a Englishman / Unionist would have called it Londonderry.

BTW - Dullard - what a great word, not used enough

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am

Elessar wrote:If this isn’t occupation, then I don’t know what is.

It's democracy. Just ask the people of Crimea.

Elessar wrote:Also, 4 of the 18 seats in Northern Ireland are not currently represented in the House of Commons.

As the ungrateful American colonists used to say: "No taxation without representation!"

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am

English, Irishman and Scotsman was into a bar. Weirdly, all three have a stutter.

The Englishman orders his drink. “I’ll have a p..p...pint of J..J...John Smith’s please”.

Next it’s the Scotsman. “I’ll have a w...w...whiskey please”.

Then the Irishman. “A pint of G...G....Guinness please”.

The barmaid is getting really impatient so says that if any of them can say where they live without stuttering, she’ll sleep with them.

The Englishman goes first. “B...B....Birmingham”. Failed.

Then the Scot. “G....G....Glasgow”. No luck.

Finally the Irishman: “London!”

Surprised, the barmaid leads him upstairs to the bedroom.

During the throes of passion, he shouts out “D...D...Derry!”

Elessar

Postby fairydandy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 pm

BBC:

Charles Walker, vice chairman of the 1922 Committee of backbench Tory MPs, said defeat for the government in the vote later would lead to a general election.

He told BBC Radio 4's World At One: "If it doesn't go through tonight, as sure as night follows day, there will be a general election within a matter of days or weeks.

"It is not sustainable, the current situation in Parliament."

He added: "She will lead us into that general election. We haven't got time for a leadership election."

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Ok, so that's Brexit over. Let's just see where those votes go though.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Sole Survivor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 am

The next general election will be interesting, given how so many people must now be utterly disillusioned with British politics. I predict large swathes of pro-remain MPs losing their seats to alt-right or extremist parties...
Give me... chocolate!
"We are living in an era of 'woke' capitalism, in which companies pretend to care about social justice in order to sell products to people who pretend to hate capitalism."

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

There was a young man From Cork who got Limericks And Haikus confused.

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:00 am

Sole Survivor wrote:The next general election will be interesting, given how so many people must now be utterly disillusioned with British politics. I predict large swathes of pro-remain MPs losing their seats to alt-right or extremist parties...

Won’t happen.

Want to put money on it?

Elessar

Postby JLP » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 am

The whole sorry saga is a mess. Can you imagine the shit Jezza would be getting if he had been in charge? In fact if the ERG fuckwitts had voted with the Government, it might just have scraped through.

I actually wonder if May will, as a last resort, put her deal to a people's vote? I am not saying she could but if she did and the people voted for it, Parliament would then be obliged to vote it through.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am

There’s a total unwillingness to discuss or compromise or think.

The 52% who voted to leave want to leave at all cost. They don’t care that 48% disagree.

Now if roles were reversed the same would be true. The Remainers, if they won, wouldn’t care about the Leavers.

It’s so polarised, so divided. It’s horrible, and it’s all wrong.

Elessar

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm

JLP wrote:The whole sorry saga is a mess. Can you imagine the shit Jezza would be getting if he had been in charge? In fact if the ERG fuckwitts had voted with the Government, it might just have scraped through.

I actually wonder if May will, as a last resort, put her deal to a people's vote? I am not saying she could but if she did and the people voted for it, Parliament would then be obliged to vote it through.

Why should we have a referendum to ask if we want her deal or stay in? This whole sorry mess has been caused by leavers who absolutely will not accept democracy. It's not ok to pretend that this is actually democracy and that we have a representative democracy and all that nonsense, because the 'representative democracy' gave us the referendum in the first place and the rules were known at the outset..

The 48% are of no consequence, because they lost. Just as if it was the other way around, the Brexiteers would now be a historical nonentity.

I don't know if any of you have watched the news and you have seen any interviews with Brexit supporters? They are always thick, clueless halfwits who have no idea why they want to leave. Yet, if you flip that and ask the Remainers why they want to stay, they have no idea either....yet they seem hand-picked to be more intelligent and thoughtful than the Brexiteers. Are we really supposed to believe that 52% of the electorate are stupid (and even if they are, we didn't set an IQ level before voting on the ballot paper)?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World