Bohemian Rhapsody DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody DVD/Blu-ray

Postby cjhill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I never buy or rent movies on Sky Store but wouldn't mind renting the film on there this weekend.

However I only see an option to buy and keep and i'll probably buy the hard copy because being old school I like to own the physical product :P

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is this likely to be available to rent?

cjhill
Spread Your Wings

Postby cjhill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm

OK, I see it's available to rent on the same day the hard copy is released.

Don't see why they can't release both at the same time. No wonder places like HMV are going out of business.

cjhill
Spread Your Wings

Postby rpt81 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm

cjhill wrote:OK, I see it's available to rent on the same day the hard copy is released.

Don't see why they can't release both at the same time. No wonder places like HMV are going out of business.

I think the idea is to try and push people towards digital releases. They did the same thing when DVDs first started to emerge back in the early 2000s, releasing them several weeks (sometimes even months) before the VHS release in order to encourage people to take up the new tech.

Sky Store does tend to be pricier than most other places, but that's because you're getting the double whammy of both physical and digital. Not usually fussed about the latter, but I had a voucher from them, so it worked out cheaper to do the pre-order and I get the bonus of being able to start watching from Saturday.

rpt81
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

I've already downloaded the movie on iTunes. Without the prospect of any additional deleted scenes being added to the physical release, I have very little ambition to go out of my way to purchase it. I mean, I will...because I'm obsessed like that. But I can see why the world is going in the direction of downloadable music/movies. First of all, it saves me from creating a mess of DVDs/Blu-Rays/CDs all over my home office. And secondly, it saves me from having to leave the house and talk to people in my free time. :P
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby cjhill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Haha, I know what you mean. I have had to buy a new storage tower to facilitate all my CDs and DVD's. I doubt I'll ever use some of the CDs ever again now I probably have them all on iTunes and my car doesn't have a CD player.

I mean if you can buy and keep from Sky Store and you get a Digital release and physical copy of the DVD all for £13.99 that's not bad at all. It's basically like having early access.

cjhill
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 pm

For sure. Only recently have I fully realized just how amazing iTunes is, for example. I'd much sooner purchase online digitally than create less space in my office. Unless, of course, it's something that means a lot to me, such as owning a copy of this movie...or any Queen release. Would much rather have hard copies of that. But if it's anything else, I'll just click, buy, and listen immediately online. So much easier and less cluttery. Love it.

By the way, I braved a snow storm just to go to my local Walmart (who didn't have it stocked yet) and then Target to purchase the film. Glad I did because the Target special has a beautiful 24 page booklet inside that has not only great pics from the film with info, but also some fab pics of the actual band. There's even a pic of the band from South America I'd never seen before...well, I've seen shots from the photo shoot, but not this particular angle.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm

I can't believe it. I popped the Blu-ray on just to check the menu screen out and see a bit of the movie on my big screen at home.

And then I'm still sitting there 2 hours later and getting teary eyed during the Live Aid scene. God damn this movie. Despite it's flaws the movie still sweeps me away. I think I've seen it 14 times now, and honestly, it gets easier to sit through with each viewing. Where I can actually turn my brain off. Because while its liberties drive me nuts, I recognize and appreciate how each person's character stays mostly intact with reality. It's mostly the timing and events are skewed.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peavy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Funny commercial on the Queen Youtube channel. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsT9Vlznz8

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:12 am

Peavy wrote:Funny commercial on the Queen Youtube channel. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsT9Vlznz8

That's totally me in the house when no-one is looking!!! :lol:

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Writergirl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 am

OK, so I've had a chance to watch the entire Live Aid performance on the DVD.

I should mention that all the Targets in my area were sold out of the DVD/Blu Ray combo with the booklet, EXCEPT one near me that stated on the website that that version was "not sold at this store." So I went there and sure enough, they had them! So I scored the one with the lovely booklet. :-)

Anyway - the full Live Aid set is fantastic, and really makes me wish they'd been able to keep all of it in the movie. It really does build, and cutting up Hammer to Fall the way they did sort of damaged the momentum. Someday I hope they release a version into theaters with the whole performance intact - I think it would do pretty well!

But I do have a question: at one point during the performance (this didn't make it into the theatrical version), they show the Wembley staff hosing down the spectators. Now, I know it was a very hot day and I know they did that in Philadelphia because that was an open stadium and it was a bright sunny day all day there. People were damned hot. There are several shots on the Live Aid DVD of the staff spraying water into the crowd to cool them off.

But I wasn't aware they hosed people down in Wembley - did they? I always understood that, while it was hot, it was a cloudy day and rained for part of it, so people were pretty damp already.

Am I wrong? Can somebody correct me? Thanks!

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby mikespit » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 am

The Blueray / DVD was released in Australia today. BIG W is the only store that has the exclusive limited edition booklet ($25) . JB-HI had a version with 4 x limited edition cards, and also the steelbook version ($46).

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Inny » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 am

I just started watching this on youtube. I watched the extras on my Blu Ray and this seems to be the same thing but maybe a bit different. Not sure, yet, because I just started watching it but I figured I'd share it.

phpBB [video]

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Montavilla » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Inny wrote:I just started watching this on youtube. I watched the extras on my Blu Ray and this seems to be the same thing but maybe a bit different. Not sure, yet, because I just started watching it but I figured I'd share it.

phpBB [video]

I watched that and highly recommend it. The most interesting part for me was seeing the army of people it took to help Rami Malek create his performance. That's not a knock on him, by the way. He's a great actor. But you don't often get to see that aspect of film making.

The myth is that actors just sort create their characters in their spare time before the filming starts -- or that they walk into the audition miraculously born to play the role. This feature makes it clear that, even if an actor has the essential spirit of a role already, it takes an entire team of coaches, costumers, hairdressers, and make-up people to provide him or her with the tools they need to do the job. (To say nothing of the set designers, lighting people, etc.)

Another interesting thing to me was that, in the entire 58 minutes of these behind the scenes videos, there was no glimpse of the director of the film.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Writergirl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm

I was a bit disappointed that, during the segment on costumes, they never said how they found/made John Deacon's Live Aid shirt. It really looks close to the genuine article and that was one funky pattern!

Also, I knew we weren't going to get a lot of extras, but still I wish we'd gotten a blooper reel and deleted scenes. Then we might have seen the '39 segment, John Deacon's audition, and a bit that I've seen talked about where Mike Myers, as Ray Foster, leans out that window and trades some R-rated insults with the BoRhap boys. Oh well. Maybe next time!

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby mikespit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 am

Writergirl wrote:
Also, I knew we weren't going to get a lot of extras, but still I wish we'd gotten a blooper reel and deleted scenes. Then we might have seen the '39 segment, John Deacon's audition, and a bit that I've seen talked about where Mike Myers, as Ray Foster, leans out that window and trades some R-rated insults with the BoRhap boys. Oh well. Maybe next time!

...and the scene where Rami follows Truck Drive (aka Adam Lambert) into the mens toilet

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On