Ultimate set list

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:19 am

Princess of Taylor wrote:I was recently directed to the Hollywood Records remix of TYMD. It is slightly more tolerable than the original (which I think would be fair to say that I hate.) :?


Oh my, I just did a question thingy on FB and I picked *Tie Your Mother Down* for my fave song on *A Day At The Races*!! :P :biggrin:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*
 
FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

      
 
Posts: 3884
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 410 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Princess of Taylor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 am

I know. I feel like a horrible Queen fan. I've tried so hard to like it and I just don't. :?
 
Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 749
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby mab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:08 am

Kes wrote:
Princess of Taylor wrote:
I'm feeling lazy right now. :P Which songs are those?


Fat Bottomed Girls and Somebody To Love. I think both tracks were played at every show on the Live Killers tour, and were kind of stalwarts by then. Somebody To Love being a pretty important showcase, and integral part of a Queen gig. Really strange it was left off the album, well I think it is, anyway.


I always found it weird that it was left off Live Killers but even more strange that it was abandoned for the Magic Tour.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:43 am

Yeah. When you think that the band now consider it one of their 20 Greatest, Greatest Hits, and one of their best live songs, THAT really makes the decision a strange one to drop it from the set. Saying that, they dropped DSMN from the setlist VERY quickly, like they only played it for one or two tours, and that one's been rated the best driving song EVER, once or twice.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14552
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby mab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 am

Kes wrote:Yeah. When you think that the band now consider it one of their 20 Greatest, Greatest Hits, and one of their best live songs, THAT really makes the decision a strange one to drop it from the set. Saying that, they dropped DSMN from the setlist VERY quickly, like they only played it for one or two tours, and that one's been rated the best driving song EVER, once or twice.


I think Queen can be summed up thus:

Great songs/performances + shit/nonsensical decisions.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:24 am

Everybody makes mistakes.

If every decision Queen made was a shit one, they'd have never got a record deal in the first place. Brian would be writing scripts for The Sky At Night, Roger would be pulling teeth, John would be fused to the National Grid, and Freddie would probably be drawing caricatures of people around the Oxford Circus.

It's very easy for us to sit here in this digital age of knowledge passing freely on the internet, and criticise 80% of the last dozen products, but they're a business, who've successfully sold X million albums in the last ten years, without using virtually ANY of their archived assets. Getting away scott free with THAT? That's pretty f*cking clever, if you ask me.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14552
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby mab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 am

Kes wrote:Everybody makes mistakes.

If every decision Queen made was a shit one, they'd have never got a record deal in the first place. Brian would be writing scripts for The Sky At Night, Roger would be pulling teeth, John would be fused to the National Grid, and Freddie would probably be drawing caricatures of people around the Oxford Circus.

It's very easy for us to sit here in this digital age of knowledge passing freely on the internet, and criticise 80% of the last dozen products, but they're a business, who've successfully sold X million albums in the last ten years, without using virtually ANY of their archived assets. Getting away scott free with THAT? That's pretty f*cking clever, if you ask me.


Never said they weren't smart.

Just that their career is littered with odd decisions. Including STILL not having any deluxe editions with serious fan appeal on the market.

Queen I missing Mad the Swine. The bizarre track sequence on Jazz. Coming Soon instead of A Human Body on The Game. Not using a lot of the available tracks for The Works - not even as b-sides. Sun City. Not using the highlander version of A kind of Magic on the album of the same name. Bizarre track decisions for The Miracle. Including Delilah on Innuendo. Making MIH way too ballad-heavy. The Singles Collections. Too many bloody compilations. No BBC recordings issued in donkey's years. No archive material released.

Lots of odd choices.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:01 am

Not disagreeing with you on most of that.

And I'm not being particularly optimistic that anything radical is going to change in the near future, either.

The stuff you talk about, will no doubt appear at some time, but from a personal level, I don't think they'll be too much "new" appearing on expanded reissues, as the band will probably want to save certain things for designated future releases, and once you've got THAT set aside, there really isn't that much exciting stuff left. The term "future releases" COULD mean "Sometime after most of the fanbase has either departed this earth, or has suffered progressive hearing loss to the point of no longer being able to appreciate it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14552
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Action This Day » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 am

I always assumed STL was dropped for the Magic tour simply because Freddie couldn't pull it off live anymore by 1986. And also they were concentrating the set on the then current and previous albums.
 
Action This Day
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: This street honey...
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby mab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:06 am

Action This Day wrote:I always assumed STL was dropped for the Magic tour simply because Freddie couldn't pull it off live anymore by 1986. And also they were concentrating the set on the then current and previous albums.


''Freddie couldn't pull it off anymore by 1986''?

How so? Based on what?
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby ultrasoundz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29 pm

I have never understood how or why Somebody To Love was dropped for the Magic Tour and Live Killers - especially as it's widely thought to be Freddie's favourite song. Not only that but it was IMO one of the tracks they consistently played brilliantly live.

It also of course meant we had no officially released live version on CD until On Fire At The Bowl (if you exclude the George Michael version)... totally bizarre...

Would be one of the first on the list for my ultimate set.
http://www.colvex.co.uk ...the baddest things happen in threes
 
ultrasoundz
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am
Location: London
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Action This Day » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:28 pm

mab wrote:
Action This Day wrote:I always assumed STL was dropped for the Magic tour simply because Freddie couldn't pull it off live anymore by 1986. And also they were concentrating the set on the then current and previous albums.


''Freddie couldn't pull it off anymore by 1986''?

How so? Based on what?


I said I assumed he couldn't do it any more. It was his favourite Queen song and featured in every tour from 1976 until the Works tour. Therefore I assume it must have been dropped because he couldn't sing it live anymore (like DSMN). By 1986 Freddie's voice was more powerful but he had lost a lot of his upper range.

I could be wrong of course. Why do you think it was dropped?
 
Action This Day
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: This street honey...
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby mab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Action This Day wrote:
mab wrote:
Action This Day wrote:I always assumed STL was dropped for the Magic tour simply because Freddie couldn't pull it off live anymore by 1986. And also they were concentrating the set on the then current and previous albums.


''Freddie couldn't pull it off anymore by 1986''?

How so? Based on what?


I said I assumed he couldn't do it any more. It was his favourite Queen song and featured in every tour from 1976 until the Works tour. Therefore I assume it must have been dropped because he couldn't sing it live anymore (like DSMN). By 1986 Freddie's voice was more powerful but he had lost a lot of his upper range.

I could be wrong of course. Why do you think it was dropped?


Freddie was still singing plenty of difficult tracks in 1986. He was dropping some of the higher bits down an octave and I am not sure that vocals would have been a particular reason for dropping STL.

I'd say the reason was either mundane (not enough room in the set) or to do with Freddie's (post Live Aid?) desire to avoid spending too much of the gig on the piano.

Alternatively, they may simply have been slightly tired of it.

Ultimately, who knows, I guess.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby Action This Day » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Tired of it? Possibly, yet they were still playing Tie Your Mother Down and Now I'm Here at every show.

Not enough room in the set? Again possible, yet they still found room for stuff like Impromptu and Brian's solo.

Freddie not wanting to be at the piano too much? I think you might be on to something there.

As you say mab who knows. One thing we can agree on however is that throughout their career Queen made some truly baffling decisions regarding the live setlist.
 
Action This Day
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: This street honey...
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Ultimate set list

Postby KingOfRhye » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:21 am

Tough!

Tie Your Mother Down
Headlong
The Hitman
I Want It All
Killer Queen
Play The Game
My Fairy King
Somebody To Love
A Kind Of Magic
Heaven For Everyone
Mother Love
Love Of My Life
Another One Bites The Dust
Dragon Attack
Radio GaGa
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Made In Heaven
Bohemian Rhapsody
Hammer To Fall
----------------------
The Show Must Go On
Was It All Worth It
--------------------
Don't Stop Me Now
WWRY
We Are The Champions
 
KingOfRhye
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests