NOTW improved

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Young Music Fan

Re: NOTW improved

Post by Young Music Fan »

I'm not saying every Brian song didn't, I'm just saying some. But there is a proper personal connection in All Dead, Good Company and Sail Away Sweet Sister - they are all about his childhood or at least spark memories about his childhood.

Save Me, Who Wants To Live Forever and Too Much Love Will Kill You all feel more relatable to people instead of the earlier songs I just mentioned - a lot of adults can feel connected with these songs and because of that majority is probably part of the reason why Brian stopped his lead singing after SASS because his lyrics from him weren't always about him or they apply more to a lot people. This means that Freddie could deliver an outstanding, emotional vocal on these as he could've felt a couple of the songs or lyrics imply to him.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I've always felt that Freddie's take on TMLWKY is a little bit of a 'Freddie-by-numbers' delivery. This was a b-side at best, shelved as not good enough, and only brought out of retirement to pad out Made In Heaven.

Whereas Brian's version has so much passion behind it - it doesn't matter that he's technically not as good a vocalist. It's like how Johnny Cash and Nick Cave are two of the best singers of all time even though they can't "sing" for toffee... or why Adam Lambert is technically brilliant but his delivery feels hollow.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am
I've always felt that Freddie's take on TMLWKY is a little bit of a 'Freddie-by-numbers' delivery. This was a b-side at best, shelved as not good enough, and only brought out of retirement to pad out Made In Heaven.

Whereas Brian's version has so much passion behind it - it doesn't matter that he's technically not as good a vocalist. It's like how Johnny Cash and Nick Cave are two of the best singers of all time even though they can't "sing" for toffee... or why Adam Lambert is technically brilliant but his delivery feels hollow.
I actually love Freddie's delivery of TMLWKY but I can see why with Brian's deeply personal 70s songs why Brian wanted to sing on them. You just don't get the same emotion if someone else sings about the person who wrote it. Especially if it's a deeply personal song.

action

Post by action »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am

it's a standout freddie vocal. An absolute classic, with a great solo from brian

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 pm
He may not be the strongest vocalist ever (hence why Freddie was Queen's lead vocalist) but Brian's songs particularly All Dead, All Dead on this album, Long Away, '39 and Sail Away Sweet Sister on others have a personal meaning for Brian. I think they lack as much emotion if Freddie was to sing them as they're not his lyrics.
Plus Brian singing them not Freddie is part of what makes them special to me.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The reason, at the time, that Freddie took over lead vocal duty from 1980 onwards, was mainly because having Brian and Roger taking on songs, was like shooting their children at birth.

After Long Away, which Brian thought was good enough to push for an A side, and it flopped. Then if Freddie sang nearly all of the lead vocals, it stood a chance to be an A side single.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Brian and Roger singing one or two songs on an album is something they may have adopted from the Beatles. Nearly every Beatles album had one Ringo song and one or two by George Harrison, although the Beatles even had two main lead vocals with John and Paul. I think this is something like a production trick to create more contrast and depth. Like a painting. If you paint a picture with different kinds of yellow....it's yellow. The moment you add a spot of blue, the yellow really begins to shine. So I would not exchange for example "All Dead" and "Sleeping" with the Freddie versions. The album would lose something. But I might have preferred a finished "Feelings" over "Fight from the Inside" or "Who needs you".

Kes

Post by Kes »

action wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:20 am
freddie was the biggest cat lover in the world!

He also loved Koi Carp.

Weird that, isn't it? Cats love fish too. Wonder how THAT worked.