The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Generic username

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by Generic username »

That raises an interesting question - is it more profitable to release archive material digitally or physically?

Digital still has the studio costs of locating, mixing, mastering etc, and digital sales are probably helped by the marketing of a physical release.

But a physical release has further production costs, and probably more intermediaries with margins to be satisfied.

Kes

Post by Kes »

As there's a market for both, it makes sense to sell it both ways.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

But if manufacturing facilities aren't available, is it still worth doing just digital?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

It depends on how it's distributed. I forget the figures, but Spotify, for instance, pay the artists such a pitiful amount it's laughable.

Here you go, a calculator for the various platforms.

https://www.dittomusic.com/blog/how-muc ... -musicians

So, for every 1000 streams, the rights holder will earn around 5 or 6 dollars. For a four piece band, that's no more than about 1 1/2 dollars per 1000 streams per person (and that's assuming they have their royalties split equally).

With something like a box set which will include the original album, how many people will be interested in that? It won't be many as the target demographic for these types of box set aer people like us who already have 3 or 4 copies. So you're down to the rare stuff which will probably not get streamed more than once or twice by the hardcore fans.

So, frankly, I don't see any real profit in it.

I don't have Spotify to hand, but I've just checked Amazon Music and the only tracks from the News Of The World box set are the raw versions of WWRY and WATC, so clearly someone doesn't think it worthwhile to put the box sets up, even after the point that the physical sets will almost certainly have sold out.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

On a related note... The Beatles have been releasing their demos and outtakes of late because the 50-year copyright was about to run out (starting with a 2013 iTunes only release and then continuing with the 50th anniversary sets). This gave them a much-desired extension on the original tapes, and AIUI, their new masters are considered new recordings that will last for longer still. Bowie's camp started to follow suit last year too.

So, don't be surprised if 2022 is when we start seeing more Queen box-sets at last. I suspect The Miracle is being used to 'test the waters' as there's so much additional material available.

And it's worth noting as well that some of the Bowie demos which appeared across 2019 had never been previously heard, or even known about. There's a possibility the Queen camp is holding onto all sorts of stuff from the early 70s that we're oblivious too.

Bowie's "Conversation Piece" was a 6-disc set which featured a remixed version of his 1969 album, alongside demos from across the two years leading up to it. Before the release was announced, there were FOUR other 'box-sets' released: a 4x7" set, a 3x7" set, a 2x7" set and an overpriced 1x12" set. All of this content then turned up in Conversation Piece.

Could there be scope for Queen to do something similar? Maybe release the Smile tracks as one set, a collection of early demos (Eg Polar Bear) as one set, the De Lane Lea demos as another set, and then one big set covering them all and lots more? Not that I want this blatant rip-off... but it's a thought process that might be happening.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Unfortunately, the fact that the Queen calls the box set can not be called a box set as such.

In my understanding, a box set is a collection of rare material not on one disc, at least two or three. Queen, however, releases rare material on only one disc. IMHO, this can’t be called a box set, it’s just a bonus disc for the re-release of the album, but they throw any scarves there or a t-shirt and names it Box Set

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'm sure when they produce a "box set" that it must conform to the concise definition in the English dictionary :-

Box set

noun:

a set of related items, typically books or recordings, packaged together in a box and sold as a unit.

So, by definition, if there's more than one item, from possibly different forms of media, and it's in a box, what is it?

A camel?

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I've got a box set of Leonard Cohen albums - and it's just digipak CD copies of every studio album he produced between 1967 and 2004. There's no bonus tracks. No rarities. No unreleased material.

It's still a box set. And I've got lots of other box sets with equal amounts of 'new material', too. Only a few months ago, I got a vinyl box set of Alice Cooper's four studio albums released between 2000 and 2005. This isn't an unusual thing.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

31 years today since release. Might have been a good day for some news...

Kes

Post by Kes »

Think a lot of things are fluid at the moment, because of you know what.