If you were in charge of Queen Productions...

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Sir Didymus

If you were in charge of Queen Productions...

Post by Sir Didymus »

...what would you release?

Let's say you're given the keys to the castle for the next 20 years. You have to continue to keep Queen in the public eye, and provide enough product for the label. You have to mix keeping the fans happy, with the dangers of sales fatigue - the lesson of Hammersmith '75 bombing so soon after Rainbow '74 should be fresh in your memory. And you have to ensure that every now and then there's a huge, high profile, 'event' release that will entice Joe Public to buy something other than Greatest Hits/The Platinum Collection.

You've got from January 2021 to January 2041 to make it happen, and hopefully retire to a yacht in the Bahamas with oodles of cash for your efforts.

What's your 20 year plan?

ogre t raylot

Re: If you were in charge of Queen Productions...

Post by ogre t raylot »

five year plan.

DVD/Blu Ray of the Live Killers/Crazy Tour Era.
book of Queen images from Music Life magazine.
A CD of the Budokan show May 1st 1975
2 DVD/BluRay Rock In Rio shows.
an anthology of preQueen tracks.

Kes

Post by Kes »

In no particular sequence

CD/Vinyl - The Complete 12" mix Collection.
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Re-done Live Killers Tour
DVD/Bluray Queen Complete Greatest Video Hits.
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Earl's Court
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Houston
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Knebworth.

1972-1995 - Anthology sets. CD/Vinyl.
Spread over 3 boxsets.

After that, I don't there's too much left in the barrel to scrape.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:57 am
...what would you release?

Greg!

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

I'd aim for a three tier view.
The public, or at least a reasonable proportion of them, will clearly buy a new compilation every other year, so that will be the primary revenue stream for the masses.

I'd support this with a slightly tweaked licensing model:
- Adverts may not change the lyrics, and there would be a higher quality barrier - premium music should not be associated with non-premium brands.
- Films & TV would continue to be supported, but with a heavier focus on local TV around the world as opposed to global "properties" in order to better drive catalogue sales in those areas. This will keep local record companies inside when something from tier 2 crops up.
- Merchandising would be stepped up, with campaigns around anniversaries, or themed collections . There would be a small in-house design team to support this, with a goal of getting the Queen branding to a similar level as the Stones' tongue, Motorhead's Snaggletooth, or the Ramones logo.

2. The above should maintain enough interest from the "collecting public" for a big event boxed /archive release. These would probably be only every 3 years , given that content is absolutely finite.

This would include deluxe album reissues and live concerts in whatever form the content allows.
The first of these would be a Flix BluRay, with all versions in best known quality, correct aspect ratios, and with a new audio upgrade to whatever's cutting edge.
Then, probably a concert such as Earl's Court, and an attempt at either The Game or ANATO for deluxe editions.

3. For the hardcore. A subscription service that allows streaming access to a couple of concerts a month, from the archive. These would necessarily be the ones that could never be considered for "proper" release for either quality or completeness reasons. If the various solo and Q+ iterations were included, there's be enough material for at least 10 years. Once a year, subscribers are sent *something* as a bonus physical release to encourage renewal.

All of the above would constantly be analysed to establish which tiers produced greatest income / brand recognition / cross selling of catalogue albums.

Ray

Post by Ray »

- Live Killers Tour DVD/Blu-ray
- Houston/Earls Court 77 DVD/Blu-ray
- Greatest Video Hits 1-3 on Blu-ray

Also the 77 tour documentary should get more attention and a better release than as bonus to the NOTW boxset. There must be more footage that should be included. A DVD/Blu-ray set with a 77 concert would be awesome, I'm surprised that didn't happen already.

Speaking of Queen-related releases...
I don't know if it is possible, but a Blu-ray version of the Freddie documentary double DVD "Lover Of Life, Singer Of Songs" would be nice - including his music videos in HD as bonus.
Also I'd like to have Brian's Brixton 93 concert on DVD.
And QAL needs to release a Blu-ray from the last tour.

FCB101

Post by FCB101 »

Generic username wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm
I'd aim for a three tier view.
The public, or at least a reasonable proportion of them, will clearly buy a new compilation every other year, so that will be the primary revenue stream for the masses.

I'd support this with a slightly tweaked licensing model:
- Adverts may not change the lyrics, and there would be a higher quality barrier - premium music should not be associated with non-premium brands.
- Films & TV would continue to be supported, but with a heavier focus on local TV around the world as opposed to global "properties" in order to better drive catalogue sales in those areas. This will keep local record companies inside when something from tier 2 crops up.
- Merchandising would be stepped up, with campaigns around anniversaries, or themed collections . There would be a small in-house design team to support this, with a goal of getting the Queen branding to a similar level as the Stones' tongue, Motorhead's Snaggletooth, or the Ramones logo.

2. The above should maintain enough interest from the "collecting public" for a big event boxed /archive release. These would probably be only every 3 years , given that content is absolutely finite.

This would include deluxe album reissues and live concerts in whatever form the content allows.
The first of these would be a Flix BluRay, with all versions in best known quality, correct aspect ratios, and with a new audio upgrade to whatever's cutting edge.
Then, probably a concert such as Earl's Court, and an attempt at either The Game or ANATO for deluxe editions.

3. For the hardcore. A subscription service that allows streaming access to a couple of concerts a month, from the archive. These would necessarily be the ones that could never be considered for "proper" release for either quality or completeness reasons. If the various solo and Q+ iterations were included, there's be enough material for at least 10 years. Once a year, subscribers are sent *something* as a bonus physical release to encourage renewal.

All of the above would constantly be analysed to establish which tiers produced greatest income / brand recognition / cross selling of catalogue albums.
Great ideas!

Only, 3) for the die-hards. The concert content must be lossless and fans can buy it and thus download these shows (so that we can put those in our collections next to the boots :-)

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:24 pm
In no particular sequence

CD/Vinyl - The Complete 12" mix Collection.
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Re-done Live Killers Tour
DVD/Bluray Queen Complete Greatest Video Hits.
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Earl's Court
CD/DVD/Vinyl - Houston
This would basically be my list, plus perhaps the Hyde Park concert from '76, and possibly the Rock in Rio show.

I'd say the anthologies too, but I can't bring myself to mention it because they're never going to happen :lol:

Also related - a Brian box set.

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

I haven't the organisational skills to come up with a 20 year plan but this is a list of products I’d like to see which could go down well with the public and fans in general.

There is no particular order but I do think the releases should be well-spaced, not in chronological order (to keep people on their toes) and all be affordable. I think I may have got a bit carried away with my list -

A Beatles-style anthology of two volumes or more (but available separately) with an accompanying DVD of bits and bobs such as interviews and any strange appearances Queen have made over the years.

DVD/CD Knebworth (with an accompanying book)
DVD/CD Rock in Rio
DVD/CD Houston along with Rock the World on the DVD
DVD/CD Earl’s Court show
- All of the above to feature full commentary on the DVDs

DVD of all the full performances from the Rare Live VHS
DVD of The Show Must Go On documentary accompanied by a good Queen+Adam Lambert full show

Greatest Video Hits DVDs in three volumes in chronological order (including the Innuendo videos) with outtakes as extras.

An anthology of pre-queen music including demos and outtakes

Any kind of photo book (more than one if possible)
As It Began book reissued

Bohemian Rhapsody movie reissue in cinemas with extras, outtakes and commentaries (maybe on the tenth anniversary – there’s still a lot of money to be made from this, I want my yacht in the Bahamas remember)

All the CDs I’ve listed above to be available on vinyl, preferably different colours (why not?).

And if we need something to fill a gap, something for the fans to spend their Christmas money on, how about Queen – The Musicland Years? (sleeve notes by Mack).

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

I was lucky to grow up with Queen and many other exciting bands in those days. Part of the attraction was, that you never knew what would happen next. Each album was surprising and new, each concert stage was so very different with new light effects you've never seen before by then.
I'd like to keep it that way, I like artists to surprise me. The moment I'm telling the artist what to do next, I think something is wrong then.