Will we ever get off of this planet?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Will we ever get off of this planet?

Postby bigV » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:05 am

This one's for you, fd:

V.
Last edited by bigV on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby fairydandy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I have been watching the latest Stephen Hawking documentaries and this week he talked about worm holes and time travel and orbiting black holes...and oh, it was far too confusing...

Thing is, a hundred years ago we could hardly get off the ground and now we send robots to Mars (well, not the British, we sent something and it was never heard of again :roll:)...so who is to say that in 10,000 years we won't be making our own worm holes and travelling through time (action would have been interested because they named CERN as a place where this sort of technology is being used to a degree already...well not time travel, but the ludicrous speeds that they would need to achieve it). What I didn't understand was that if getting to just under the speed of light is instrumental in achieving time travel, is the light that we see from distant stars also warping time?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby bigV » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:46 pm

ptracer wrote:If something is 1 light year away and you travel there at light speed, it will still take you a year to get there. It's just that 100 years will have passed on Earth. Or so says the theory.

Theories have been known to be wrong. Einstein disproved Newton for starters.

I think Einstein is wrong. And I think he needs revision. I just wish I was smarter.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:01 pm

ptracer wrote:If something is 1 light year away and you travel there at light speed, it will still take you a year to get there. It's just that 100 years will have passed on Earth. Or so says the theory.

That makes my head hurt... :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Dusty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

fairydandy wrote:

That makes my head hurt... :P

"In the year of '39 assembled here the volunteers..." Brian wrote a song about it, yerknow. :P

Dusty

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

bigV wrote:

I think Einstein is wrong. And I think he needs revision. I just wish I was smarter.

V.

So many people tried, all of them failed. The theory still stands.

What's your problem with it? (I have problems with it too ;))
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby Dusty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:19 pm

fairydandy wrote:What I didn't understand was that if getting to just under the speed of light is instrumental in achieving time travel, is the light that we see from distant stars also warping time?

I think in light's case, it's an energy form, so it doesn't affect spacetime in that way. (I'm sure there are some resident physicists that will correct me if I'm wrong.) When matter approaches light-speed, it gains mass, theoretically reaching infinite mass as soon as light-speed is achieved- which is why it's practically impossible to do, as you'd need exponentially more energy to push that greater mass ever faster. The next available option is to use that warping effect, like they theorised for Star Trek, where the object bends space to the point where space does most of the moving, relative to a neutral observer. The ship itself can still travel at close to light-speed, but because space itself is moving, the ship will reach its' destination much faster than if space were stationary and the ship was travelling at the same speed. Kind of like someone running at 5mph on a bus going at 45mph, their speed to someone outside of the bus would be 45mph. The ship would travel at, say, 0.99 of light-speed, and space would bend to move the ship- to the point of view of someone outside of space- to speeds way faster than light.

Because space itself is the 'bus', Einstein's theory remains constant, as light-speed is never exceeded. Someone on that ship running would still be slowed down by time, because his speed relative to space would be held back from breaking the light barrier.

Dusty

Postby bigV » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:
bigV wrote:

V.

So many people tried, all of them failed. The theory still stands.

What's your problem with it? (I have problems with it too ;))

There was a time, not so long ago, when it was believed that the speed of sound was unobtainable. Now we travel at many times the speed of sound.

About 100 years before that, an esteemed scientist (of British origin, no less), proclaimed that if any human being was to travel at a speed higher than 60 mph he would go insane, because the human body was not built for such speeds.

And centuries before that people were certain that the Earth was round and it was the center of the Universe...

...and so on!

The speed of light is not some impossible barrier. It's just another threshold that we will overcome by human ingenuity.

Yep. I wish I was smarter.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:46 pm

bigV wrote:There was a time, not so long ago, when it was believed that the speed of sound was unobtainable. Now we travel at many times the speed of sound.

About 100 years before that, an esteemed scientist (of British origin, no less), proclaimed that if any human being was to travel at a speed higher than 60 mph he would go insane, because the human body was not built for such speeds.

And centuries before that people were certain that the Earth was round and it was the center of the Universe...

...and so on!

All fine and well so far.

bigV wrote:The speed of light is not some impossible barrier. It's just another threshold that we will overcome by human ingenuity.

Yep. I wish I was smarter.

V.

You're forgetting relative mass and accelaration in your thought! Speed of light is invariant, which means that it this is actually the fastest speed there can be.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby bigV » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:32 am

LittleBabyNothing wrote:You're forgetting relative mass and accelaration in your thought! Speed of light is invariant, which means that it this is actually the fastest speed there can be.

Well, if you can't BREAK the law you find a way to BEND it, you know what I'm sayin'?

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 am

bigV wrote:
LittleBabyNothing wrote:You're forgetting relative mass and accelaration in your thought! Speed of light is invariant, which means that it this is actually the fastest speed there can be.

Well, if you can't BREAK the law you find a way to BEND it, you know what I'm sayin'?

V.

According to the documentary the other day, exceeding the speed of light will never be possible. I guess that's using the laws of physics as we understand them now though. Who knows, there might be a whole other set of rules out there, yet to be discovered.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Tero! » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:36 am

Yes, well... Moving faster than the speed of light might not be possible, but that isn't the only way to reach faraway places quickly. I don't know about the practical applications, but the shortest route from A to B is not by following the path of light rays. :lol:

< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 am

Ugh. Wormholes. Go away, Tero!!! :P

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby bigV » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am

Exactly. The shortest distance from point A to point B is not a straight line. It's zero.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm

It's just a matter of time before life is found...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11444022

God created Gliese 581g in seven days.... :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World