A Kind of Magic!

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Young Music Fan

Re: A Kind of Magic!

Post by Young Music Fan »

I rather The Works to A Kind Of Magic as that has the feel of being the best of Queen at that point or in other words, the diversity of early Queen albums. The Works contains heavy synthesisers, audience participation, hard rock, ballads, acoustic, fun tempo and pop. The albums after A Day At The Races had more experimental ideas or they changed their methods of recording whereas up to ADATR showed how Queen got better at in or learning the studios.

Also, I think AKOM, The Miracle and Innuendo relies too heavily on programmed audio.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am
I rather The Works to A Kind Of Magic as that has the feel of being the best of Queen at that point or in other words, the diversity of early Queen albums. The Works contains heavy synthesisers, audience participation, hard rock, ballads, acoustic, fun tempo and pop. The albums after A Day At The Races had more experimental ideas or they changed their methods of recording whereas up to ADATR showed how Queen got better at in or learning the studios.

Also, I think AKOM, The Miracle and Innuendo relies too heavily on programmed audio.
I like to think of A Kind Of Magic as an album with cult status these days, just like the film Highlander. I love the album, maybe more so than The Works.

The Works seems to have everything a Queen fan enjoys. It’s very straightforward.

action

Post by action »

Young Music Fan wrote:

that's a bad argumentation when we're going to label AKOM as inferior to the works. AKOM had all of those characteristics you mentioned, apart from a true acoustic song

AKOM:
heavy synthesisers: don't lose your head
audience participation: friends will be friends
hard rock: princes of the universe / gimme the prize
ballads: who wants to live forever / one year of love
acoustic: none
fun tempo: one vision
pop: pain is so close to pleasure

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

action wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:08 pm
Young Music Fan wrote:

that's a bad argumentation when we're going to label AKOM as inferior to the works. AKOM had all of those characteristics you mentioned, apart from a true acoustic song

AKOM:
heavy synthesisers: don't lose your head
audience participation: friends will be friends
hard rock: princes of the universe / gimme the prize
ballads: who wants to live forever / one year of love
acoustic: none
fun tempo: one vision
pop: pain is so close to pleasure
Yeah I was hoping someone wasn't going to do this!

I do sort of agree with you but I don't think Friends Will Be Friends is as successful as Radio Ga Ga, I love the song but in a live environment it just didn't work hence why it hasn't been performed since the Magic Tour. Heavy synths, hard rock, ballads and pop I agree. I'm not sure about One Vision suits this and I do think the album lacks something simple perhaps an acoustic song as it's just something nice and stripped back.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Back at the time the album came out, i knew people who'd bought all the band's albums up to that point. The general viewpoint among most of them, was they probably wouldn't buy another Queen album, as they couldn't get past the first two tracks on this one.

The bit I'd agree with is that the stand out tracks are One Vision, AKOM, WWTLF and Princes Of The Universe. Everything else sounds like the band treading water, ticking the boxes and going nowhere.

action

Post by action »

AKOM was sort of the bands last "hooray". After this, freddie sadly got sick, and the albums got darker in theme.

but AKOM was still fun, goofy and casual. It was driven by global success, rather than imminent death. it was, therefore, a pure 100 % Queen album, with a blockbuster movie tie-in to boot.

the band were the biggest band on the planet, all on their own merits and not because of the sensation of freddies passing. they were popular, not because of the paparazzi bullshit than went with freddies death, but solely because of their performance.

They would still write silly songs, like delilah and I'm going slightly mad, but all of these songs have the shadow of death above them, they're all saying goodbye. I think I'm done with that. I want to enjoy the fun times of Queen, and AKOM is definately a good representative of these times.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

action wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 pm
AKOM was sort of the bands last "hooray".
No, it wasn't.

Innuendo is far superior in every way.

action

Post by action »

Leigh Burne wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm
action wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 pm
AKOM was sort of the bands last "hooray".
No, it wasn't.

Innuendo is far superior in every way.
the whole album is a bit dreadfull. I don't find it a fun experience.

AKOM is way more fun, and it has a cool action movie as their inspiration.

When the fairy fellers master stroke uses a 17th century old painting as inspiration, it's a masterwork. if the inspiration comes from a 20th century action movie, it's merely a soundtrack album.

I call bollox. the movie speaks much more to the imagination, than that painting (its not even a beautiful painting to begin with)

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I never listen to the album A Kind Of Magic, for me it contains some of the weakest songs:
Don't lose your head
Gimme the Prize
Even Princess of the Universe is not their best.

However, I love Pain is so close to pleasure, One year of love...
It's just a pity that the album is so short.
However I enjoy listening to Who wants to live forever, and I think it's their best song from that album.

My thoughts when I bought the album:
Just curious to hear the new songs.... One Year of Love is amazing as a vocal performance, really unusual saxophone as well for a Queen song;
Don t lose your head: a nice feeling, but I never come back to it, as it gets boring...
Gimme the Prize: looks like a loud virtuosic guitar song, I never come back to it;
Pain is so close to pleasure, is a lovely song.
Then, the rest is on Greatest hits...

Innuendo is "back to the roots", where every song has a big quality; even The Hitman is better than Gimme the prize in my view.
I remember not liking much 'I can't live with you'...

But with Who wants to live forever, we have there the begin of a new maturity in Freddie's singing. Similar voicing as in Innuendo.

A Kind Of Magic is more like a radio-friendly album (movie-friendly), but as Freddie turns to gold whatever he is singing....

FFMS has this effervescent and creative quality that is unique of the early days...

Frank

Post by Frank »

I think A Kind of Magic was the climax of eighties Queen. They had just enjoyed their best live performance at Live Aid which gave them renewed interest and motivation to keep the Queen train going full speed. That said, I would never agree that it's better than Innuendo. That album is a damn masterpiece through and through. Yes, it isn't as joyful as A Kind of Magic, but it has, dare I say, more heart and soul. But I'd rather not go down this road...I love both albums, but for different reasons.