Deacy Bass Solos

Deaky Back Chat
MyHumanZoo

Deacy Bass Solos

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I’ve listened to most of the live concerts, and was wondering why we never get a Deacy solo? I realize there is the moment in Liar...I would call that more of a feature than a true solo. I know bass is not necessarily an easy instrument to solo on, but Deacy is talented and also plays a good guitar so you’d think he would come to the front now and then. Was it just shyness and his not needing the limelight? If there are any true solos out there can you point me to them?

ogre t raylot

Re: Deacy Bass Solos

Post by ogre t raylot »

Who needs a bass solo when you can break out the Disco Deaky.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I love a Deacy dance as much as the next guy! :D I will take it from the lack of response that no solos are out there. It just seems odd that as much as Queen toured and did live stuff, that there was never a bass solo anywhere. I would love to know why...whether John didn’t want to do it, or whether it never occurred to them, or if the other guys thought it wouldn’t go over well? Just kind of weird!

Frank

Post by Frank »

MyHumanZoo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:19 pm
I love a Deacy dance as much as the next guy! :D I will take it from the lack of response that no solos are out there. It just seems odd that as much as Queen toured and did live stuff, that there was never a bass solo anywhere. I would love to know why...whether John didn’t want to do it, or whether it never occurred to them, or if the other guys thought it wouldn’t go over well? Just kind of weird!
Nothing exists to my knowledge, aside from the Liar moment.

The lack of solos may be because A) John was an introvert. He's not the showing off kind of player. And B) bass guitar isn't necessarily a solo instrument. It can be, sure. I'm in a band and our bass guitarist loves to do improv. But I can't think of that many other bass players that'll do it.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

That’s kind of what I thought, I was just hoping there was someone out there with some inside info. Personally I love a bass solo, it’s such a cool sound!

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I remember that in Dragon Attack, we can hear him a lot, but his solos are always with the drums...
The other day I was listening to Who wants to live forever at Wembley. First, Freddie is alone (with synth I think) and then on the second verse comes the bass. (Edit. Not exactly) We can hear the intimate musical connection between Freddie and John, John was a great singer with his bass. Always with a lot of feeling.
For example, in the song It's a beautiful day, that's almost a solo at the beginning, and that gives all the magic. He's a true musician.
I think he's modest. Already three big egos in the band, maybe he was the person that was really cementing the group for 20 years.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 pm
I remember that in Dragon Attack, we can hear him a lot, but his solos are always with the drums...
The other day I was listening to Who wants to live forever at Wembley. First, Freddie is alone (with synth I think) and then on the second verse comes the bass. (Edit. Not exactly) We can hear the intimate musical connection between Freddie and John, John was a great singer with his bass. Always with a lot of feeling.
For example, in the song It's a beautiful day, that's almost a solo at the beginning, and that gives all the magic. He's a true musician.
I think he's modest. Already three big egos in the band, maybe he was the person that was really cementing the group for 20 years.
These are all great moments. John knows how to give just enough without going overboard. He truly was the dark horse and the band's true secret weapon. And I think you have a point that he was a large part of what kept the band together for so long. We may never know to what extent though.

action

Post by action »

WWRY fast has a little solo by john

Frank

Post by Frank »

Yes, that little bass solo is my favorite part of WWRY (Fast). As is John's bass solo in Liar. Again, he knows how to give just enough without going overboard.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Yes for me too this John solo in WWRY is my favourite part!! I missed it when they were playing it with Adam Lambert!