Electronic cigarettes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Electronic cigarettes

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:41 am

Has anybody in QOL land heard about these or better still used them?

After 35 years of smoking, and many attempts to give up I think I might have found something that actually works (well for me any way) in the form of electronic cigarettes. I have tried gum which tastes horrible, patches which are a bastard to light and even when used properly didnt do anything for me, even tried going cold turkey, less said about that the better really. Then about 2 weeks ago I came across these on the interweb, after doing a lot of reading about them last week I brought a starter kit which cost £45 but wow it is working for me, I have cut down from 20-25 a day to just 5 max, (best so far was 3), so I am going to blow my own trumpet and pat myself on the back as I did that literally over night.

These E-cigs are a substitute, they look like a cig, inside the filter there is a amount of nicotine which is burnt by an atomizer powered by rechargeable batteries housed in the bit where the baccie would go, you just inhale and vapour instead of smoke comes out. Apart from being a bit heavy they dont have the thousands of chemicals normal cigs have, just the nicotine, they cost far less, approx a pack of 5 filters = 150 cigs for £9 instead of about £44. So not only will I eventually give up (well thats the hope) I will save approx £1800 pa :shock: be healthier and wont stink of fag smoke.
Most of my smoking was habit and having something to do with my hands (no rude comments please :P ), I still at the moment want a real fag after meals and first thing in the morning, but during the day I just puff on the E-cig and feel like I have had a ciggie.

I am not posting this so people can say well done you, but to find out if others have used them and if so how did you get on with them, also it might be helpful to others like me who want to give up.
If I can cut back that much over night after 35 years then I am sure others can do it, and I will be the first to admit I had little/no will power to want to cut down/give up before.

Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You

Should be doing something else

Re: Electronic cigarettes

Postby Lino » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:00 am

I saw the advertisements in the Ryan Air flights but I haven't seen their use :?
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby ice on fire » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 am

Sorry Pastie, but I am going to have to say well done. It's not easy to quit an addiction, so I am pleased that you are trying. I hope if you don't quit cold turkey, at least from what it seems a fair bit...so indeed well done you :bigups: :) . I dont know anyone who used electronic ciggys, because people I know used meds and or patches to help them quit.

ice on fire

Postby Bea » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 am

My daughter used those electronic ones, mainly because she was going on a 4 hour flight and just plain couldn't cope with the airport wait and the flight as well..................so of course I had to have a puff to try them............I came so near to buying some myself and then common sense kicked in and I remembered I gave up smoking about 10 years ago.

Makes you think..........perhaps you never really quit, you just become a smoker who doesn't smoke any more. Still same effect in the end, so well done you.

On another forum I posted each week and with their support, and the National Health support, and the patches and the doctor and just the saving of all that money, eventually the job was done.

So good luck and keep trying...........try treating yourself once a week with some of the money you've saved.
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.

Bea
Spread Your Wings

I like morphine it's brilliant.

Postby Delilah » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I quit smoking cigarrettes using the e-cig, Pastie. I haven't smoked since November 2009. Mind you, I just replaced one addiction with another, as I do still use the e-cig. Still, I feel like I've quit smoking...lungs feel better, I smell better, more energy, etc. It completely worked for me. It's most definitely the lesser evil. And hey, no going outside in the winter to feed the nicotine addiction. That does rock. I had to try a couple of brands before finding one that worked for me. Some of them just suck. I'm stuck on the M401 for now.

It's a lot cheaper too in the long run. Wow, cigs have gotten expensive!

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby fairydandy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Well done Pastie, it's a good start. I gave up my 50 a day, 20 year habit 10 years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever done to be honest. It took me 4 months to quit and after that time it was totally gone. That said, I would still like one now...not that I ever would have one, but the association with pleasure is still there (not that feeding the cravings is really a pleasure).

I used a website forum called Quitnet. I 'met' someone there and we teamed up with each other for support. While she was still quit, I stayed quit and of course it worked in reverse. That website saved my life, or at least part of it.

Personally I wouldn't use the e cig thing, I think that's kidding yourself, but hey, if it works for you, that's fine.

Seriously, good luck.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Never been a smoker myself, so I can't talk from personal experience, but a mate of mine has used one of these and found it worked great. Found it very odd when he was using it in my car as visually it struck me that he was smoking, although it obviously doesn't have the side effects that a real one would.

I bet Mrs Pastie loved you when you tried cold turkey. :lol:
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Delilah » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:42 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Personally I wouldn't use the e cig thing, I think that's kidding yourself, but hey, if it works for you, that's fine.

Oh, I'm not kidding myself in the least. I've replaced smoking with vaping, I haven't lost the addiction at all. I still "have" to have it. It's just a less-unhealthy method of getting it.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Dusty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I was a 20-a-day man for ages, but when I met Mrs. Woolfe I decided to quit, as she's a non-smoker. No gum, no patches, just cold turkey. To be honest, I couldn't go back now at all- the smell of someone lighting up is so off-putting to me nowadays.

Dusty

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Where can you get one of those?
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby ice on fire » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:25 pm

To fd and Dee...well done you both :bigups: . Pastie, fd and Dee if you don't mind my asking, what age were you when you started smoking?

ice on fire

Postby fairydandy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 pm

ice on fire wrote:To fd and Dee...well done you both :bigups: . Pastie, fd and Dee if you don't mind my asking, what age were you when you started smoking?

15 or 16...but never got hooked until I was 20. I really loved those first ones at 15 though...what a head rush! :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby ice on fire » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I hate even second hand smoke. My beloved loved one is going to try to quit in the New Year...I hope it happens. Quitting must be hard, with all the cancers in my family all the smokers still smoke. I have so much respect for anyone who can quit(and well done to you Gw, didnt mean to leave you out)

ice on fire

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:04 pm

I smoked for 25 years and I'd quit for a few months even years every now and then but always started up again. I completely quit back in 1999, cold turkey worked for me albeit I wasn't a *heavy* smoker.

Icy, good luck to your loved one!! :)
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby ice on fire » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:35 pm

Thank you FSS. Well done you too :) .

ice on fire

Next

Return to Views Of The World