Odd song placements on albums

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Peace Loving Guy

Re: Odd song placements on albums

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

There’s a difference between not liking songs and thinking they’re in the wrong order on an album. Regarding Party and Kashoggi’s Ship, they work as a unique opening on a Queen album, because they are not designed to shout “Hey, we’re back with a new bigger and bolder album” but more ironically “we’re a has-been band, we’ve had a good run, but now we’re hungover, washed up, over the hill, goodbye” kind of vibe. The two tracks could only either go at the front of the album or at the very end, but if it had been the very last Queen album they probably rightfully decided Was it all worth it should be the final Queen song, (subsequently “copied” by the The Show Must Go On as the last Queen song).

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

You should take into consideration, that most Queen albums were compiled for vinyl only. And vinyl had and still has the problem, that the soundquality gets worse from the beginning to the end of each side. So you put songs, that need clarity and power at the beginning. And songs with less details and power go to the end of a side. This may explain many song placements. "Mustapha" or "We will Rock you" or even "Staying Power" had the most "punch" when placed at the beginning of an album side, where you have the best sound.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I don't know if this will count...Classic Queen, after Stone Cold Crazy there is One Year Of Love. And after Tie Your Mother Down there is The Miracle.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Black Wings wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am
I don't know if this will count...Classic Queen, after Stone Cold Crazy there is One Year Of Love. And after Tie Your Mother Down there is The Miracle.
Personally, I like those placements. Whenever there is great contrast between two songs that are next to each other it helps keep me interested. I think of this the same way as I think of Death On Two Legs leading right into the light and fluffy Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 pm
Black Wings wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am
Personally, I like those placements. Whenever there is great contrast between two songs that are next to each other it helps keep me interested. I think of this the same way as I think of Death On Two Legs leading right into the light and fluffy Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon.
It does prove how Queen went from one genre to the next, even years apart. It wasn't until I owned classic Queen that I heard One Year Of Love...and that song surprised me so much, because it's one of their most dated sounding songs, IMO. To have that follow Stone Cold Crazy, well it was eye and ear opening for sure.