Roger Taylor's "The Lot"

Talk about their solo projects.

Roger Taylor's "The Lot"

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:43 am

So, as someone who's always wanted to get into Roger's solo career but never really listened to any of it (and assuming this set is a collection of all of his albums and not extortionately priced)...

Do you think this will be worth buying?
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Re: Roger Taylor's "The Lot"

Postby WeeMann » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:10 am

Frankly I love his solo stuff. Some is a little left field and it's certainly not Queen, but I'm really looking forward to this.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

...and nobody played synthesizer.

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 am

I'm absolutely getting this. I'd been waiting to get a real copy of Blue Rock for awhile now.

Roger's solo career is definitely my favorite as well. VERY interesting stuff most of the time. Some of it is dated (especially Shove It), but with the idea that there might be bonuses also makes this a must buy.

Even if there are no bonuses it'd be worth a purchase especially if you haven't gotten his solo stuff before.

soxtalon
The Show Must Go On

Postby Chickenfeed Babe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am

If you haven't delved into his catalogue before, it's definitely worth getting but there's no way I'll be parting my money for it if there are no bonuses. If I Wanna Testify, Turn On The TV and other non-album stuff doesn't make it on there, then it isn't "The Lot" is it?

Chickenfeed Babe
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am

Yes, obviously it remains to be seen just how complete this set will be. But as I own none of his work, just the chance to buy the albums would be great for me (although obviously I'd prefer everything to be included).
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Being honest, assuming you get five Roger solo albums, three Cross ones, and maybe a couple of discs of extras thrown in, and the packaging's half decent, what's everybody expecting the price to be? Realistically?

Think of the Pink Floyd Immersion editions, and things like that, and bearing in mind this is Roger, not "the Floyd", Personally, I'd think ten discs, then about a hundred quid.

I know there are those that would say 'Shove It' isn't even worth a fiver, but by the same token Blue Rock goes for about £35 on eBay at the moment, so it all balances out, doesn't it?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Chickenfeed Babe wrote:If you haven't delved into his catalogue before, it's definitely worth getting but there's no way I'll be parting my money for it if there are no bonuses. If I Wanna Testify, Turn On The TV and other non-album stuff doesn't make it on there, then it isn't "The Lot" is it?

Unfortunately that's just it. "The Lot" could mean "The Lot" of studio albums. To us, it means every god damned thing Roger recorded outside of Queen even if it's Rog using his megaphone down the hallway through a telephone wire voice to sing the telephone book.

To the common fan though it could simply mean all of his album releases in one box.

BUT with that being said....I anticipate some bonuses.

on QZ, GT stated:

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this set.

So there is that 8)

soxtalon
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, there's a pretty strong hint there, especially when you know Gary has seen a bit of criticism when the bonus EPs happened. He already knows all about people being disappointed, even when there was some decent stuff on them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Kes wrote:Being honest, assuming you get five Roger solo albums, three Cross ones, and maybe a couple of discs of extras thrown in, and the packaging's half decent, what's everybody expecting the price to be? Realistically?

I was thinking around the £80-£100 mark, but obviously it's hard when we don't know exactly what's in it.

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby Lemmy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:56 pm

ZZ Top have just released their complete studio albums in one set at... 25 Pounds UK. That's 10 discs.
Like them or not, they are bigger than RMT solo - any day. (sorry Roger).

So 80 to 100 quid for RMT - if he wants to sell, then the profit margin had better be lower.
not going to see Brian and Roger fronted by a screetching vuvuzela

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Any information on remastering? I personally have no issues with the quality of the mastering of the CDs, so it would not be that important. However, I have all of his albums, including The Cross, so I will purchase depending on the bonus and the price.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm

I would expect higher prices than that IF there is bonus material or visual material.

The ZZ Top collection is barebones - just the albums nothing more. IF the RT box was just that than that would be a good pricing point.

So i'd really have to see the contents before giving you a price expectancy.

soxtalon
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Lemmy wrote:ZZ Top have just released their complete studio albums in one set at... 25 Pounds UK.

Wow, really?

I'm tempted to get that just for good value, even though I've only heard a few of their songs.

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm

I bought Robert Plant's Nine Lives box set a few years ago, which then was probably about USD$70 (~£44). That was a 10-disc set, with each disc packed with extra tracks (some more packed than others), a beautiful booklet with running commentary from Robert, and a bonus DVD with all his promo videos and a documentary on his solo career.

I don't expect an FM-style box set with The Lot, but I kind of hold Plant's set as the benchmark for Roger. I think if The Lot is as packed as Nine Lives, I'll be happy, and easily spend $70 on it.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Talking to Josh MacRae back end of last year, he said that he was working his way through Roger's back catalogue, so I'd interpret that to mean that it's been remastered, as there's not really THAT much work in just archiving it, and banging it onto a hard-drive.

I'd expect the whole set to be mastered at a comparative volume, one album to the next, and I'd also expect them to sound not far off the Queen 2011 remasters in terms of clarity and dynamics.

As regards not knowing what's going to be in it, well, I'm sure you know what it's like. I DO occasionally converse with some of the people involved in putting things like this together. At least something of what they're doing gets mentioned in passing, so I guess I'm postulating a bit with a slightly loaded deck.

Still, until it's announced, then it's all pie in the sky, as Roger could just say "F*ck that!" and change everything.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to There Can Be Only One